autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mike Phillips

Re: MF or Foam Pads for GG6 First Timer

Quote Originally Posted by bws View Post
    I'm planning to do my first polish and just bought a GG6.

Should I buy MF or foam pads for use with the GG6?
    I plan on buying a smaller backing plate since I see that as a recommendation a lot.

Thanks

If you're new to machine polishing I would recommend getting either LC or BS 5.5" foam pads and a 5" backing plate to use with them.

Foam offers more cushion that microfiber and in my opinion there's a shorting learning curve to learning how to machine polish when using foam as compared to microfiber.

People forget (I don't) but the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System, the system that started it all, originally came out as an alternative system to replace the use of rotary buffers in the production detailing industry.

Foam is more forgiving than fiber pads. The feeling of buffing with foam is smoother than buffing with microfiber pads, at least the thin MF pads.

So again, if you're new to machine buffing I would get foam pads and later add microfiber pads.

I think I make this recommendation in my how-to book The Complete Guide to a Show Cr Shine too.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bws View Post

how would you rank these from least aggressive to most?

Megs Thin Foam Pads
    LC Foam Pads
    Microfiber pads

The Meguiar's maroon foam cutting pads are sharp and aggressive. For foam pads this is as aggressive as you can get that I know of at this point in time. It's also more than aggressive enough for whatever is in your garage.

Fiber pads tend to offer more cutting ability because the fibers themselves are a type of abrasive. This is why they can also cause micro-marring on some paints regardless of the product used.

The Meguiar's thin foam pads are great pads and with the GG6 you'll be a swirl-killer. Be sure to stick with only top notch compounds and polishes as in my opinion it is the compounds and polishes that are number one factor when it comes to polishing paint.

Technique is important but all the technique in the world won't make mediocre abrasive technology work great. It's the abrasives that "touch" the paint first, not your technique.

Mike Phillips

If you want to see what the Meguiar's thin foam discs can do check out my how-to write-up here,

NEW! Meguiar’s Foam Buffing Discs

This Camaro looked like it was washed with SOS pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Great words Mike!!....I did some work last night on my Volkswagen with the gg6 and Meg's thin discs....boy do they work great!!!!....the cutting discs with Ultimate compound finished down very very well, the polishing just made it that much better.

Overall the gg6/megs thin discs (5" BP) felt WAY better then my old 7424xp and hexlogic pads (6" plate)
    2010 Candy White Volkswagen CC - 170k and counting DD
    2006 DSOM C6 z06 - 22k miles

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to try the Megs Thin foam and 205 to start.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123