autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buffer / polisher

Quote Originally Posted by Rustbuket View Post
    Need help, this is what I have after polishing with finess it, cloudy haze, and scratches . And I use this polisher, with wool pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustbuket View Post
    Then I get this after I use Harbor Freight 6 " polisher ( holding out for GG6 from advance auto, when they come in ) with polish in pic. still small haze and scratches
    I'm just looking from my phone, but from what I can see the first after photo is absolutely rotary buffer holograms/buffer trails. The second photo seems to have helped them a bit but now you're eat up with what we would call micro-marring.

Usually that caused from using too much cut either with the compound and/or the pad. Don't be too worried, it will come out. (But STAY AWAY from that paint with that rotary.)
    BTW... Is that single stage or clear coat paint?

To remove the micro-marring I would look at something like a white pad with Menzerna 1500 and do a test spot... and if that doesn't work move to 400. .

I'm reluctant to say go straight to an orange pad but the orange pad with the right compound will help. I'm thinking you need the right compound with a white pad and you may actually move to a blue pad. The important part about Menzerna is that you ***absolutely*** need to work the product through its full cycle. Which means 8 to 10 section passes... nice and slow don't get in a hurry, don't change your arm pressure, don't change your arm speed... just work it nice and slow.

Megs UC, 205, or UP could all get the job done as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Oops... Just realized you have the tangerine and cyan pads right?

They cut on a different level than the orange and blue regular Lake Country pads. In that case I would use the lesser of the two. The HF da should be able to get you out from under that no problem though.

Another Menzerna product that you really need to have is 4000. And btw I prefer 400, 2000 then 4000 as the 3 "must haves" from Menzerna. (Although I have 1500 and 2500 as well.)

I mentioned 1500 earlier because it is a real workhorse, and finishes pretty decent, just not quite like the other three. It looks amazing in fact how well FG400 will finish yet it's.... (well it was) the hardest cutting product they had up until recently. (Haven't tried 300.)

If however that black is single stage I would stay away from the heavy cut product when trying to eliminate the micro marring. Buffer / polisher
    Last edited by cardaddy; 06-30-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Edit

Post Thanks / Like

Damaged,
    my 442 ( maroon ) is a 350 4 speed car. it is a numbers matching car. it has the buffing marks, I will try and get those out this weekend. The blue car is a 74 cutlass.

Caddy,
    the black car, is navy blue, it's my brothers car, I keep telling him it's black. but when a bright light is put on it, you can see the blue, strange color to me! it is clear coat paint, it has 4 coats of clear, so I have plenty of room to sand or buff on it. a friend dropped off some 3M rubbing compound #05973, I tried it on a 2x2 spot on hood, and it took out the scratches and haze. Then he put a glaze over that NAPA 7212, and it looks good. deep shine. so I think a better grade of compound and glaze will fix it. hope to try it on whole car this weekend too.

Thanks for all the help I have been getting, I'm very new to this ( making a car look great) most times I run my cars through a car wash, and that's it! Looking forward to see what I get , if I put some time, and effort into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Try seeing if nearby Advance Auto Parts have the GG6. I ordered mine from a town 45 minutes away.

Call your nearby store and ask them to transfer inventory from another story to yours. Then they can list it in their inventory where you can buy the item online w/ the coupon.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried, my local store didn't even know they sold them!!! I went to there web site, and they are out of stock, don't know when they will have them. But I keep checking

Post Thanks / Like

If you were only closer, I'd bring a few beverages over, talk about Oldsmobiles and attempt to DA some swirls and holograms out.

Very cool with that 73 being a 4 speed. Rare little beast for sure. Mine is a 350/TH350, bench seat, column shift, no option, special order Omega Red/Cameo White. Love the fact that you have a 74 too. Funny how we can't just have one. I have a 77 Supreme Brougham also.

With so many compounds and polishes to choose from, it can be hard to make a decision, well, like how many 73-77s we should own. I basically flipped a coin to decide what I was going to buy, and I am not joking.

If I were to change anything, I might have gone Menzerna instead, but the XMT line worked well. Either way and whatever products you choose, try test spots and work with the least aggressive method first. You can always step up to a more aggressive pad or polish as necessary if to do not get the results you are looking for.

Again, I am not a professional, just a guy who wanted to make his vehicles a little shinier.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Try seeing if nearby Advance Auto Parts have the GG6. I ordered mine from a town 45 minutes away.

Call your nearby store and ask them to transfer inventory from another story to yours. Then they can list it in their inventory where you can buy the item online w/ the coupon.
    That doesn't work with them because their online sales are actually a separate company with a completely separate accounting system from their store sales. I've had that discussion with them on numerous occasions why I can't for instance order something online and then just pay for it with cash in the store and they don't allow that. All online sales... are online sales, period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    That doesn't work with them because their online sales are actually a separate company with a completely separate accounting system from their store sales. I've had that discussion with them on numerous occasions why I can't for instance order something online and then just pay for it with cash in the store and they don't allow that. All online sales... are online sales, period.

No, it does work. That is exactly what I did a couple weeks ago.

A store 45 minutes away had the polisher in stock so I called my local store and asked them to have it transferred over. Then they listed the polisher at a set time in their inventory, and it pops up on the AAP online store. Then you can pick it up and apply the discount.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    No, it does work. That is exactly what I did a couple weeks ago.

A store 45 minutes away had the polisher in stock so I called my local store and asked them to have it transferred over. Then they listed the polisher at a set time in their inventory, and it pops up on the AAP online store. Then you can pick it up and apply the discount.
    Yes.... but that was for an "in stock" item. They have always done "in store transfers" for in stock items.

Where I'd be flabbergasted is for them to sell/offer/stand behind ANY "online" (after coupon discount) pricing. Buffer / polisher I've been shopping online with them for years and they've NEVER honored online coupons in the store.

I will even go in the store and stand there in order from my phone to get the discount, rather than pay the store price. (Just have to pay online however... which means I can't sneak those purchases by CarMomma as she watches the bank accounts (online) like a hawk!) LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Yes.... but that was for an "in stock" item. They have always done "in store transfers" for in stock items.

Where I'd be flabbergasted is for them to sell/offer/stand behind ANY "online" (after coupon discount) pricing. Buffer / polisher I've been shopping online with them for years and they've NEVER honored online coupons in the store.

I will even go in the store and stand there in order from my phone to get the discount, rather than pay the store price. (Just have to pay online however... which means I can't sneak those purchases by CarMomma as she watches the bank accounts (online) like a hawk!) LOL

I never said that they would honor the online coupon in store?

I just said to get them to transfer it, and then buy it online.

Post Thanks / Like

Custmsprty
    did as you suggested , hope to try it out sun. will try it on 74 blue cutlass first, if that comes out great, will try it on my 73 442, then my 71 buick GS.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast