autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Upgrading from Porter Cable 7424XP

if you want an upgrade to the PCXP then a flex or rupes would be ideal. if you can't afford it, and want a DA with a similar rotary body style like the formentioned polishers, then the Megs MT300 would be a good choice, but the some have mixed reviews/thoughts on the torque/power so you'll have to try one out and decide for yourself. IMO, the GG6 is a step up from the PCXP and has a good amount of torque/power while having all the ergonomics built into it and one up'd everything the PCXP had. speaking of the Griot's, i'm curious as to what they have new coming out soon? maybe a new polisher!?

i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post

I'm hoping it's the new MaxShine MS-L21 polisher
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping it's the entire MaxShine MS-L line of polishers. They make 8mm, 12mm, 15mm and 21mm orbit units all in the same long handle form factor.

Post Thanks / Like

I made the change from a stardand PC7424 (the 7424XP was not out at the time) to a flex 3401. I really enjoy the machine.iv had it for 5 years and its been a work horse for me. People complain of the machine walking at times and it does for me but doesnt happen all the time. This happens because if i get lazy i dont have the pad flat on the surface.Once i make the adjustment it runs smoothly. So as long has you have the pad flat it runs smooth and doesnt have the vibrations like the PC does. I use my PC with 3inch pads for small area and it works very well for me. I have been tossing the idea around of picking up the MT300 to use the megiuars microfiber system with it. It seems to get great results. For extra Cut on the Flex 3401 i use tufbuf wool pads. I have no issues finishing down with the flex. You just have to make sure you keep the heat down on the panel you are working on. I find myself most of the time using either just a mid level polish or finishing polish to achieve good results.
    Just the weekend hobbyist

Post Thanks / Like

Question: Can a newbie damage their paint with the Duetto or Flex? I have the 7424XP and want to upgrade (it just beats the hell outta me, long working time) but my technique still needs work. I got the 7424 b/c its nearly impossible to hurt the paint...thoughts.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts from a (relative) newbie:

Got started with this madness in late November, wife wanted her garage queen 1979 Corvette back on the road.

Started out with the HF DA, lasted a few panels with it (not a bad machine, but I wanted better) then upgraded to the PC7424XP. It performed adequately but with all the curves on that car rotation was an issue, along with just the time it was taking. Plus I was now hooked, and staring at my Yukon and thinking about the time that was going to take...I knew what I had to do...

Yup, got the Flex3401, backing plates and hybrid pads, and couldn't be happier. Learning curve was very short, easy to use, performance is outstanding. I suppose it is possible to do damge with it but it would take a concerted effort to do so; I had no problems at all.

Finished the Vette with it, did my sister's Mini with it (she was thrilled) and the Yukon is up next. IMO can't go wrong with the Flex, love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you want an upgrade to the PCXP then a flex or rupes would be ideal. if you can't afford it, and want a DA with a similar rotary body style like the formentioned polishers, then the Megs MT300 would be a good choice, but the some have mixed reviews/thoughts on the torque/power so you'll have to try one out and decide for yourself. IMO, the GG6 is a step up from the PCXP and has a good amount of torque/power while having all the ergonomics built into it and one up'd everything the PCXP had. speaking of the Griot's, i'm curious as to what they have new coming out soon? maybe a new polisher!?
    Money isn't an issue except in that I would like to have only one machine right now that does well with correcting and finishing. My main concerns are the fatigue with the PC, so as long as that's addressed, I don't mind spending the coin.

I think I'm probably going to go with the Flex over the Rupes because 1) people are saying the vibration and smoothness of the unit will definitely be better than the PC and will, hopefully, address the fatigue concerns, 2) it can accept 5" - 7.5" pads depending on the backing plate, and 3) seems like a machine that will actually challenge me and help push my technique better in that it's closer to a pure rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    If you decide on getting the Flex, get the Lake Country Backing Plates and the Lake Country Hybrid Pads 5" and 6.5". The Flex is very versatile and you will probably (like I did) delegate the PC 7424 XP to apply sealant/wax or small correcting/polishing areas with a 2 7/8 Backing Plate and 3" pads.
    This is exactly what I am thinking. Found the 3" bp for the PC, but not the Lake Country bp for the Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 94LT1 View Post
    I have no issues finishing down with the flex. You just have to make sure you keep the heat down on the panel you are working on. I find myself most of the time using either just a mid level polish or finishing polish to achieve good results.
    Good to know. I've had no issues finishing with my PC and so I knew the Rupes would do fine finishing as well. My only concern with the Flex was how it would finish, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post
    Good to know. I've had no issues finishing with my PC and so I knew the Rupes would do fine finishing as well. My only concern with the Flex was how it would finish, but it doesn't sound like it's going to be an issue.
    If you have the technique down with the PC7424 then you will not have any issue with the Flex. The walking and pulling can be easily adjusted. What you will notice...is how much time you will save from correcting.....HUGE difference!!

Once you use the Flex you will wonder why it took so long to change!!

But awesome choice!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast