autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Pressure washers and soap

So I purchased this new pressure washer this week, it was 150$ off from it's original 250$ price so I could not resist

It's a 1700 PSI unit that comes with 23 feet of power cord and 23 feet of pressure hose.

There is no foam bottle on the unit, instead it uses a reservoir where you can add soap.

Now here is my question. In the manual it says to ONLY use pressure washer compatible soaps. I am wondering if this is a scare tactic to make me buy their product or if in fact i can damage the unit by using regular car soap in it.

I understand acidic or base products might cause an issue, but I am really unsure about car soaps.

Do any of you have experience with this?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure washers and soap

Not the owner of a pressure washer, but "pressure washer compatible soaps" is a pretty ambiguous statement. In fact, it doesn't mean much to me at all.

I'm sure it's marketing language made to persuade you to use formal "pressure washer solution"--they do a lot of psych studies to determine how people react to/think about things. As to the acidic/basic pH scales...most car shampoos are pH neutral anyway.
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

You don't want to use a high foaming soap in a siphon tank that runs through the PW pump. This could probably damage the pump similarly to having air in pump, IMO.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CDot View Post
    Not the owner of a pressure washer, but "pressure washer compatible soaps" is a pretty ambiguous statement. In fact, it doesn't mean much to me at all.

I'm sure it's marketing language made to persuade you to use formal "pressure washer solution"--they do a lot of psych studies to determine how people react to/think about things. As to the acidic/basic pH scales...most car shampoos are pH neutral anyway.
    If you go to any big store (Wal-Mart, home depot and so on) you can find soaps that are made specifically for power washers. So the question isn't if they exist, rather if I can use something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    You don't want to use a high foaming soap in a siphon tank that runs through the PW pump. This could probably damage the pump similarly to having air in pump, IMO.
    The role of a power washer is to add air to the water though. But you might be on to something.