autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    That could work but that's not going to happen in 1.5 hours I don't think for a full car.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quickest method of paint correction for production work.

If you only have 90 minutes

Use your FLEX

Focus your correction efforts on the hood and trunk lid
    M205 on a White Polishing Pad

Everything gets a quick pass with D151

Just do the best you can with the time allotted

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a quick correction (about 4 hours) on a patrol vehicle with 142,000 miles on the odometer. I did wash and clay (real clay) and the clay was black and brown with surface contaminants like I have never seen before. I tried to make the paint look presentable with the flex DA and was wasting a lot of time. I ended up going over the paint with Meg 105 and a yellow smart pad on a flex rotary followed with meg#9 and an orange pad with the rotary. I was not looking for perfection but meg 151 didn't show the results I was looking for. I'm pretty sure this is the first time since 2009 that the paint appeared smooth and shiny without a million swirls. It was also a black and tan color so the black would show mistakes. I think it would be difficult to do any type of correction in 90 minutes but an experienced detailer could definitely make the paint look better in that time. A rotary can get you in trouble very quickly but will get the job done way faster especially if removing noticeable scratches. A few quick passes and they vanish!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Axrow, IMHO, the quickest way would be to get a rotory and a flex. Hit the car with the rotory at bad spots, then finish with the flex 3401. "If you put in hollgrams at the bad spots, take them out with the flex. So basically, learn the rotory in bits and peices untill you no longer leave halos/hollograms. And, WLAH! That is your training my kind sire.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

If you're blowing over the car in a hour and a half, then more material is being removed then necessary...I see this ALL the time. Clients bring me their Mercedes' that they had detailed a few weeks earlier because the swirls have come back or are worse then before they took the car. I check each client's car prior to touching it, you would be SHOCKED by the amount of clear left after these "detailers" buffed the car. I would NEVER do production work, and try to sell it as high-end paint correction. I do every car like it's my car, would I blast over my car with a rotary in a hour, NO WAY!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I just did a quick correction (about 4 hours) on a patrol vehicle with 142,000 miles on the odometer. I did wash and clay (real clay) and the clay was black and brown with surface contaminants like I have never seen before. I tried to make the paint look presentable with the flex DA and was wasting a lot of time. I ended up going over the paint with Meg 105 and a yellow smart pad on a flex rotary followed with meg#9 and an orange pad with the rotary. I was not looking for perfection but meg 151 didn't show the results I was looking for. I'm pretty sure this is the first time since 2009 that the paint appeared smooth and shiny without a million swirls. It was also a black and tan color so the black would show mistakes. I think it would be difficult to do any type of correction in 90 minutes but an experienced detailer could definitely make the paint look better in that time. A rotary can get you in trouble very quickly but will get the job done way faster especially if removing noticeable scratches. A few quick passes and they vanish!

Mark
    They vanish alright, along with your clear-coat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axrow View Post
    Most of these cars aren't that bad off, at all. Usually less than 30k miles. Maybe that's why he's able to get it done so fast? Not trying to insult anyone on here or what you do, I know you guys are used to taking this to another level.
    Ditto on miles have nothing to do with it. This is a brand new Lexus F Sport IS 350 that I saw at the grocery store last week. It's been hacked up by some buff n shine with a rotarty who had no idea what he was doing. And trust me, these pictures don't begin to capture how bad this car really was.

It'll take a true professional paint correction and many hours of labor to fix this mess. I'd bet this was done at the dealership or the local car wash by me that has a detailing bay. Compare that to my properly polished and protected GC.

As for WG Uber, you can smear it all over the car but if you don't move slowly and give the polish time to do it's just it's a waste of product and time. The same pretty much goes with any polish as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm with Pure and HD, there is no such thing as quick paint correction, there is such a thing as vehicle pre sale prep and that's basically what your doing. And if your making 2 grand a week doing it, $100,000 a year you keep on doing what your doing all the way to the bank

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

D151 With an LC Orange Cutting Pad will do the trick.
    2011 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5S Burgundy.

+1 Mobile Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

The sad part is that within a short time the new owners will likely have them on their way back to the original condition.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

double post..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast