autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbor freight 6'' da polisher pad question

Hi, I got a HF da polisher last week, works great!!! Just wanted to know if anyone ever used the 8'' pads on them instead of the 6''? I bought a couple to try out but haven't got around to using them yet. Anybody use the bigger pads on it before?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor freight 6'' da polisher pad question

buy a 5" DA backing plate and some 5.5" pads instead...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    But with the 5'' backing plate, and smaller pads, you would have to change out the counter weight so it would vibrate your arms off, lol. I probably won't do that, just want to know if anyone used the 8'' pads with the 6'' backing plate that came with it? Trying to get things done faster, we all have trucks, a lot more area to cover than a car. Thanks for the input though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstevens66 View Post
    But with the 5'' backing plate, and smaller pads, you would have to change out the counter weight so it would vibrate your arms off, lol. I probably won't do that, just want to know if anyone used the 8'' pads with the 6'' backing plate that came with it? Trying to get things done faster, we all have trucks, a lot more area to cover than a car. Thanks for the input though.
    You do not need to change the counter weight to use a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. Many have done it with great results and it doesn't vibrate any more than a 6" backing plate.

It is debatable that a 8" pad would get things done faster. Smaller pads correct defects more effeciently and therefore save time. So you might be covering a smaller area but you are able to complete the correction quicker.

There are a couple of threads regarding the HF DA here on AG -- just do a search.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    You do not need to change the counter weight to use a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads. Many have done it with great results and it doesn't vibrate any more than a 6" backing plate.

It is debatable that a 8" pad would get things done faster. Smaller pads correct defects more effeciently and therefore save time. So you might be covering a smaller area but you are able to complete the correction quicker.

There are a couple of threads regarding the HF DA here on AG -- just do a search.
    Will do, thanks for the input ski

Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with these's pads however a co worker has been working on a boat he purchased. He showed me the harbor pads they are crap compared to lake country. I gave him some hex logic to get him started, I wish I had snapped a picture the pad it was self destructing. He purchased the harbor freight DA polisher, I wished him luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    Agreed. I had a chance to use it. Worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post

No need to change the counterweight. The 5.5" pads will use the machines power more effectively than a larger pad.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tpr1634 View Post
    I have no experience with these's pads however a co worker has been working on a boat he purchased. He showed me the harbor pads they are crap compared to lake country. I gave him some hex logic to get him started, I wish I had snapped a picture the pad it was self destructing. He purchased the harbor freight DA polisher, I wished him luck.
    Yea their pads definitely aren't the best quality. I had one of the compounding pads fall apart on me, but I got a few of each of them, mind as well use them, then switch to a LC backing plate and pads after.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got the harbor freight and I've gone through 4 orange pads, they keep falling apart and flying off. I didn't want to wait till mine came from Amazon. I'm buying some good ones on this site. I was using the "clean on the fly" with a terry towel so I'm not sure why this was happening.

Anyone have any idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I just got the harbor freight and I've gone through 4 orange pads, they keep falling apart and flying off. I didn't want to wait till mine came from Amazon. I'm buying some good ones on this site. I was using the "clean on the fly" with a terry towel so I'm not sure why this was happening.

Anyone have any idea?
    If you are using the HF backing plate that came with the unit with the HF pads you will note that the Velcro on the backing plate goes beyond the Velcro on the pad. So when you apply pressure while polishing the backing plate Velcro chews up the pad.

Hope you purchased a new 5" backing plate to go with the new pads you bought bkz the HF backing plate is not of very high quality. Everyone I've seen has had a bad wobble to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast