autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Cobra Flex Foam Apllicators

I was cleaning our cars this weekend and came to a realization when I was dressing the tires. The Cobra applicators are awesome! I picked a pack just after they were first released, but I hadn't used them. I'm a fan of BnB and I usually used a terry applicator. I've found that the "terry" spreads BnB quiet nicely and since we're in "Hurricane" season now I wanted a product that was going to hold up against the constant raining. "I've found gels to work best. So for the past few months I've been using Wolfgang BDTG with the Cobra applicator.
    In the past few months that I've been using the applicators I only tried cleaning it once, and a was to messy to try. Oh and I found gloves to really help out when working with gels and handling the applicators. My regiment of cleaning our tires only consist of spraying down with S&W and wiping down with a rag, so They aren't exactly clean enough to eat off
    After I'm done with all the tires I merely fold my glove over the applicators and throw it in my "detailing" bag. The only result of all the abuse is a slight separation around the pad which you can see in the pictures.

The last picture shows DP's tire gel from application yesterday. The Cobra applicator really spreads the gel nicely and holds up well against the abuse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good review and I concur! I too use this applicator for applying either DP gel or Pinnacle's Black Onyx. The Cobra Applicator makes it really easy to apply the tire gel.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put the DP gel in mist bottle apply it to the tires. Wipe the gel on, but my hands are always covered in gel. I wil try your method. The mist bottle works good with the DP gel or should I say better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used the Eagle applicators, but they didn't last very along at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried everything but the Cobra. Nice review. It's time for a try. It almost looks like they could be cut in half. Have you tried that or thought about it? Think it would work?

Post Thanks / Like
    You reminded me to try those applicators....still have them laying somewhere...
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Your guess is as good as mine as far as cutting them in half. They seem durable enough to hold together. I think you might experience separation between the foam and the yellow padding quicker, being cut in half.

Post Thanks / Like
    I swear, doing the tires is the least favorite of all my tasks when detailing a car. Your hands get covered in the muck and it just RILES me up!

I personally use a regular foam applicator, even for truck tires, and put some Poorboys Natural Look on there. Looks so good! If I really want to impress, I spray with Armor All Foam (not too much) and then top it with NL. Looks the dog's danglies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T
    Your guess is as good as mine as far as cutting them in half. They seem durable enough to hold together. I think you might experience separation between the foam and the yellow padding quicker, being cut in half.
    I did cut mine in half and had no problem, with the seperating faster. I did a review on them here http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-thoughts.html
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like
    What did you use to get a nice clean cut?