autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

UDM vs PC review w/pics

My new UDM arrived from Autogeek today. I haven't seen too many side by side reviews, so I figured I'd throw in my $.02.

It's a nice looking device. Very similar looking to the PC. It seems to be heavier, but that could just be my imagination. It feels different, that's for sure, but it could just be ballanced differently. I'm sure the weight specifications are somewhere, but it is the perception of more weight that is of note.

Side by side they look really similar. There is one big difference though. The UDM's speed dial juts out a bit. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet, but it will be nice if the treads ever get filled with polish like my PC sometimes gets.

Something else to note is that the power cord on the UDM is about 40 inches shorter than the PC by my measurments. I don't think that is really an issue since there probably isn't anybody using the PC without an extention cord anyway.

The tool was very similar to the PC as well. In fact, the PC tool can be used with the UDM if you wanted.

Other things to note are the vibrations. The UDM seems to vibrate less when there isn't a pad on it, but one I put the Edge 2000 white pad on and put a coat of wax on my Reflex I noticed that it does vibrate quite a bit more. It is quieter than the PC though, so that is a decent trade. I'll get better forearm muscles, less damage to my ears, and a bit of a massage while I'm using it I guess. I can't say it is any better or worse than the PC yet, and I may never be able to tell the real difference unless I try removing damage by alternating machines, but for now I can say it is a nice looking machine that is very similar to the PC. If it has more power then that makes it worth it. It seems to operate and work just like the PC, so if you are familiar with that tool then this will be an easy transition. I would be comfortable recomending this tool to beginners just like the PC is good for beginners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a little video if that is helpful. It isn't the greatest production quality, but I'm not the greatest cinematographer in the world, so be happy with what you get. lol The muffled part at the end is my fault too. The mic is at a really dumb point on the top of my camera. I always forget that it is there. Anyway, hopefully it helps answer some questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! I love the video too, very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to do the review and video.

Post Thanks / Like
    gotta ask, whats the green wax around the PC for ???

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Top secret technology designed to reduce damage to spoilers when the PC gets too close. Shhhh.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Im guessing mounting tape!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awwww.... you weren't supposed to tell! I guess I should get something other than the trademark 3M green backing strip to cover the tape with, eh? lol It was handy and it did the trick, so who can blame me? It may be ugly, but not as ugly as chiped paint on your spoiler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a good idea to me! I didnt know what it was until I watched the video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review! I think I read on Autopia that David B. is developing a different counterweight to be used on the UDM with Edge 2000 pads.

I find it strange that Edge pads would need a different counterweight than velcro pads since they center better than velcro pads. Maybe they are heavier because they are double sided and that's the issue.
    You like Nattys, I like Souveran, and Justin is DP MaxWax. And you know what, its alright !!
    -Killrwheels

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm confused. Is the UDM more or less vibration than the PC? In the video you seem to say the UDM vibrates less, but your write up says it vibrates more.

Thanks for posting this review. I'm in need of a new machine and thinking I'll go with the UDM; however, the PC has been around a long time.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast