autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: VX-5000 In Use

Post Thanks / Like

VX-5000 In Use

Just purchased the VX-5000 and have used it twice and thought I would post some photos and thoughts.

In addition, I wanted to thank the many members who told me what their experiences were with there own steamers and how to use them! Thank You!!

VX-5000 In Use-img_2480-jpg

VX-5000 In Use-img_2481-jpg

General Thoughts
    * VX-5000 is great for interiors
    * My factory steam settings seem more than satisfactory but others have successfully adjusted theirs for more pressure.
    * Combined with chemicals you can clean most things you might see in an interior. My experience was 80%-100% stain removal with what I came up against which was coffee, soda, grease dirt. Most were 100%.
    * As others have stated for really bad soccer mom vans or the like an extractor may be more appropriate and faster. For light to medium soiling a steamer is great.
    * I like the upgraded hose that this unit from Attention to Details comes with. I can see that it will make it last much longer. It is kind of tech flex material. With the "how to" video, chemical recommendations, 6 sample towels and loaner program. I have no regrets at all. However you can get this unit for $200 less without the above upgrades from Steam Cleaners Direct in Springfield, Mo.
    * A cart to set the unit in, is helpful. It keeps the unit more protected from me stepping on it or knocking it around, plus it keeps your towels, brushes and chemicals close by. Purchased mine from Harbor Freight for around $80.
    *Raising height of vx-5000 appx. 1.5" in cart helps to secure it and give good clearance for hose to go over cart sidewall.
    * I use the single hole wand for most tasks like, jambs, cleaning vents, spot cleaning carpet, dash,steering column and seat brackets etc.
    * The three hole wand I use with small triangle brush appx 3". Use this for clean cloth seats and carpet with towel wrapped around it. This was the most convenient for my use on full size trucks.
    * I like 16"x24" Mainstays Cotton Terry Towel from Wal Mart for using with 3" triangle brush. Other may like an appx 13"x15" Cotton Terry Towel for large triangle brush use or get a common bath size towel. I also like cotton wash cloths in white for general grime utility use with this steamer. All of the above are white cotton.
    * Large triangle brush would be good for large areas of fabric or carpet. Van or SUV

In general, steam has been a real help in detailing interiors for me a detailing enthusiast. I've completed two interiors with this machine. One of the two was a pretty good test for the machine as it was a farm truck that get's heavy use. Photos below.

I have found a steamer very helpful and have no regrets. I stewed on this for a year but this is money well spent. There are quality units that run more money that members are pleased with as well as they are more powerful. The VX will take care of most any interior which is my use.

VX-5000 In Use-img_2538-jpg
    VX-5000 In Use-img_2607-jpg

VX-5000 In Use-img_2543-jpg
    VX-5000 In Use-img_2615-jpg

VX-5000 In Use-img_2561-jpg
    VX-5000 In Use-img_2643-jpg

VX-5000 In Use-img_2583-jpg
    VX-5000 In Use-img_2614-jpg

VX-5000 In Use-img_2548-jpg
    VX-5000 In Use-img_2647-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: VX-5000 In Use

Wow! Nice work. I don't know how people drive in those conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Wow! Nice work. I don't know how people drive in those conditions.

Thanks it was definitely in need!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another example of what steam can do on tough coffee, tea, dirt salt etc that has built up over a 9+ years period. This truck interior has only had the carpet vacuumed throughout it's life until August 2012. At that time, I was getting my house carpets cleaned and while the nation wide known company was there with there truck mount I had them try this carpet. They helped some but I think there tool was not able to fit in the nooks and crannies like a steamer with single hole wand attachment. This carpet was hard and crusty along this molding. It is much better after and removed the majority of the set in stain. Lot's of dirty towels on this one.

VX-5000 In Use-img_2518-jpg

VX-5000 In Use-img_2520-jpg

VX-5000 In Use-img_2522-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I have been very seriously considering getting a VX-5000. Every time I end up coming back to this thread it makes me want it even more. Shame there aren't many videos on Youtube on the VX.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see the machine is working out for you. One thing I had trouble with was keeping the towels attached to the tri-angle brushes. Finally took some ankle length white sport socks and slipped them over the brushes. Problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a couple more photos of the ability of the steamer to get rid of grime in nooks and crannies which is what it excels at.

I did do my first follow up cleaning on my personal truck after using steam on it about 6 weeks ago. The first cleaning is labor intensive and real heavy duty. The second cleaning took about 25% of the time.

I will say this, I have read where some say steam may not save time but the quality level of the job goes way up. I can believe it, with just my personal experience. I have told friends of mine how long it took to detail the interior of my 4 door full size truck the first time and they look at me like I'm crazy! However, most folks just take very minimal care of their vehicle.

I did also clean the upholstery on 20 year old reclining chair as well. Did a good job. No troubles at all.

I'm still very pleased with steam and the purchase of this unit!

VX-5000 In Use-img_2546-jpg

VX-5000 In Use-img_2669-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great love my steamer I have the Dupray.

Post Thanks / Like

You did all that with just the steamer? No chemicals, nothing else?
    I saw the vapamore on AG and was wondering how that compares? I think for a non-pro it's in the right budget. If AG is selling I would hope it's a quality unit.

Post Thanks / Like

You did all that with just the steamer? No chemicals, nothing else?
    I saw the vapamore on AG and was wondering how that compares? I think for a non-pro it's in the right budget. If AG is selling I would hope it's a quality unit. 01-26-2013 10:22 PM
    The last set of photos of the turn switch with the dirt and grime down inside on the rubber boot was hit with steam only with the single hole wand attachment.

The only chemicals I used were on carpet and fabric and just a touch of APC on the towel using the small triangle brush scrubbing ground in dirt on the door panels and steering wheel. This year of chevy truck has a pebble finish on the plastic door panels and once dirt is ground in, it takes a bit of scrubbing to remove it. So in general I used very little APC on these jobs and some chemical on carpet and cloth seats since these had never been cleaned.