autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help Me Pick A Camera

As some of you may know I work at Walmart and our Black Friday ad released. I was looking at the cameras that were in there because I was interested in getting a DSLR to use for my detailing pictures to get some better shots then my point and shot digital camera. These are the 2 cameras that are in the ad so if one is left after I get off work I'll probably get it so which one would you choose? Like I said I'll be using it for my detailing pictures and I will also be using it for my sons baseball and basketball games so there will be some action shots as well in different kinds of lighting.

For the ad the Nikon comes with a carrying bag and extra lens. Ad has it for $449.
    Amazon.com: Nikon D3000 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Electronics

The Canon comes with a carrying bag only. Ad has this one for $449
    Amazon.com: Canon EOS Rebel T3 12.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens and EOS HD Movie Mode (Black): Camera & Photo

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife & I recently purchased our first DSLR. We looked at Nikon d3100, d3200, & d5100 along with the cannon rebel t3i. Ultimately we picked the Nikon d5100. We've had it a month now & we are both very happy with the ease of use & picture quality
    Jonathan "Jmac" McDonald

devilintedetailz.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Me Pick A Camera

I don't want to disparage either Nikon or Canon as both are truly excellent makes. Having said that, I have a Canon 60D and a Panasonic Lumix pocket camera. I actually have used the Lumix more often out of sheer convenience and it does take great pics, but the Canon is far more versatile, though at a cost of size and weight.

Both Canon and Nikon have many similar features...but whatever camera you choose, the secret is the glass...lenses make the difference. Again...both Canon and Nikon lenses are excellent.

What it comes down to is you need to decide what features are most important and then decide which camera best fits that.

I would suggest you look at a Canon T3i...the swing out adjustable LCD view screen is a very nice feature. My 60D has that and it's great for otherwise difficult shots to make.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife has the D3000, and I bought my assistant the Canon. Both are great cameras for shooting pictures. I personally prefer the Nikon system overall for pictures. Between the two you mentioned, I would get the Canon just because it shoots video as well. You may not think you want it now, but you will later.

The most important thing in any dSLR setup is the lens. Even a cheap dSLR body will take amazing pictures with a great lens. We have a 35mm f/1.8 lens attached to the D3000 and the pictures are amazing, with really pleasing background blur (bokeh). The kit lens that comes with both setups are fine, but not amazing.

My wife is moving up to a Sony RX1 this year, which I'm really excited about. A full-frame sensor in a really compact camera is an engineering masterpiece. To put it in detailer's terms, it's basically the equivalent of Souveran looks with Opti-Coat durability
    2012 Nissan GT-R Jet Black Black Edition (daily driver)
    2011 Audi Q5 (wife/kid)

Post Thanks / Like

Any of the D5000 or D3000 series are excellent cameras. Find your price point and then pick the one you want. The D5200 and D3200 are going to have the most features and refinements since they were just released.

The kit lens (18-55mm) will probably last you a long time before you exceed its capabilities. I'd buy the package with that and then take photos until you truly learn that it's not giving you what you need in terms of light sensitivity and focal distance range.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend the Sony NEX-5N. Sony has the only mirrorless systems that utilize the APS-C sensor and even larger with the RX1. The lack of optical viewfinder actually makes taking pictures in take spaces much easier, and the LCD screen allows for instant preview of photos as you play with your settings.

If that's not available, either of the Canon or Nikon lines will suit you just fine, as a variety of lenses are available for both, with perhaps a slight edge to the Canon. I had a 50D, and I found it quite easy to acquire new lenses relatively inexpensively.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you look at a Canon T3i...the swing out adjustable LCD view screen is a very nice feature. My 60D has that and it's great for otherwise difficult shots to make.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^ You simply cannot believe the difference it makes. A feature I will not do without.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

I know that people wont agree and I am not here to flame or cause arguements but in my opinion CANON is an absolute must. I have used a few nikons and they just dont stand up to anything in the Canon line. Nikons are great in idea conditions, but when you need to be abe to trust that what your using will get the shot that you need say a wedding photo? you only get one chance. The canon 5D, 50D, and 60D are superb! and tamaron makes great lens for them that are priced well. I am 100% a Canon die hard. Not saying Nikon is terrible just saying I would not trust a Nikon in the photo business I run on the side.

For the money the Canon Rebel line is a great value! if your not looking to spend a ton but want something worth while to own and take the time to learn how to use. the Rebel is a great choice!

From the two you linked us to, I would go with the Rebel all the way! Yes the Nikon will be easier for anyone to pick up and use, but when you decide you want a different lens youll have to buy one that has the focus motor in it because the camera body does not.

These are just opinions from a guy that owns a 50D, and 1D Mark X. ultimitaly the choice is yours, go into a camera store and feel them both out!
    To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. " Steve Prefontaine.

Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, the nikon D5000, D5100, and D5200 all have the swing out, flip-out whatever LCD screen.

Post Thanks / Like

Leica D-lux 5 . When only the best will do.
    Evil Mean and Nasty ! Just the way I like it !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast