autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    China-go Electric Tools are attractively priced for the hobbyist.

Bob
    This is true, but to be fair the Griots and Meg's machine also are likely fron China. I know my PC is from Mexico. I'm actually headed to HF now to see if the have this thing. It looks lot like that polisher from that other car care website. I may just buy it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Frieght has a DA!

Well, the HF in Harrisburg, PA does not have the DA. It wasn't in their system and not on the floor.
    Ken Allwine || Find me on Facebook: All Shine Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    It looks lot like that polisher from that other car care website.
    That's what I thought, but I didn't actually compare the pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago after buying my PC I wanted to try out a rotary but didn't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a quality rotary and happened across the Harbor Freight rotary on sale for $30 and had an additional 20% off coupon so I figured I had nothing to lose.

The biggest problem is that it does not hold a constant speed. If I am running at about 1000 rpm and applying constant pressure the speed not only drops lower, but also runs up higher. It also boggs down under pressure, so if you vary pressure it varies speed. Pretty frustrating to learn on. Bought a Dewalt and it is night and day. Current HF rotary is on the garage sale shelf - hope to get $5-$10 bucks for it.

VIP Special - Griot's Garage Polisher & Wax Special!

Current deal through Friday is a Griots DA, backing plate, finishing pad and Pinnacle LS for $139.99. I have one of these and it has more power to remove defects than my original PC unit. I'd be worried that the HF DA unit does not have as much power as a PC and that one needs every bit of speed setting 5-6 to get defects out.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my PC DA and wouldn't give it up for the world! Have had it for 6 years and has never let me down. I was merely curious as to what it felt like and how the construction was.

Louie, to comment on your speed issue with the rotary that you were using. I have found that regardless of what company it is, if the brushes for the electric motor are not good, you'll have issues with speed variation. I was having issues with a Craftsman router and it turned out the commutator and the brushes were messed up. But I digress.

The VIP special is a great deal. If I didn't have my PC, I would be picking that up!
    Ken Allwine || Find me on Facebook: All Shine Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Even at $48 I wonder how much of a deal it really is considering that a couple of weeks ago (and usually is every 2 or 3 months) the GG6 was on sale for $80 including shipping from a well known none detailing website. Even for a hobbyist it's nice to know that after a few years if the unit breaks just send it back for repair or replacement under the lifetime warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my porter cable used from a friend for 60 bucks. I am sure it will outlast the new HF buffer

Post Thanks / Like

I have HF rotary and had the changing speed issues as well. After about 3 cars it stopped working. I took it back and exchanged it for a new one. Had the same speed changing issues. Well i decided to call a well known tool company and pretended it was thier machine. They said sounded like bad brushes. So i bought new Dewalt brushes and it fixed problem. Machine still works after 5 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    This is true, but to be fair the Griots and Meg's machine also are likely fron China. I know my PC is from Mexico. I'm actually headed to HF now to see if the have this thing. It looks lot like that polisher from that other car care website. I may just buy it.
    It may, perhaps, boil down to which 8-10 yrs. old, Foreign Nationals (Chinese, Mexican, etc.)
    'belonging' to a: Child-Labor "Organization"---CLO, not AFL-CIO...
    has received/retained more OJT than another.

If indeed truly so...Sad. Very Sad.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=swanicyouth;745712]This is true, but to be fair the Griots and Meg's machine also are likely fron China. I know my PC is from Mexico. I'm actually headed to HF now to see if the have this thing. It looks lot like that polisher from that other car care website. I may just buy it.[/QUOTE]

Why not.......I can see this da becoming something "I" could use. I have 2 da's ,a PC and Groits one set up for 4" and the other for 5.5" respectively. And with myself finding the need for smaller pads at times I can see this machine being outfitted with 3" pads, thus saving me time and $.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast