autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions about pads and the flex 3401

This weekend my pc 7424 spindle broke while using it to sand a project I was working on. I am going to get it fixed but am extrememly hesitant to use it on any vehicles after that happened. I am currently looking for suggestions / opinions.

I think this is a good time to step up to a better machine and am looking at a flex 3401 to replace it and was wondering what people use for small or tight spaces with that tool or if they use another tool altogether. It looks like the smallest backing plate for it is 4 in. When using my pc I used 3.5 and 5 in backing plates and 4 and 5.5 in pads for a nice buffer between edge of backing plate and pad.

I see that the Flex backing plates are 4 3/8 and 5.5. There is also a lake country backing plate system that has two plates in 4 and 6 in. This leaves me with a lot of options but nothing below 5.0 in if I use a buffer zone on the pads. Has anyone really messed up their vehicle before with that little of a buffer zone? I just dont want to work with 5 and 6.5 in pads. 5 in isnt as small as a 4 in pad and cant get in the same areas. It also seems kind of redundant to use both of those sizes.

Should I just get the flex and work with 6.5 in pads on it and get another machine for tight areas or should I just use the lake country system and roll with the 4 in pad with no buffer. What are your experiences and suggestions?

My wife would like to thank you in advance for all your help in parting us with more money

TS

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions about pads and the flex 3401

Well to tell you the truth, I use my 3401 with both 5.5 and 6.5 pads. I haven't really had a problem getting into small areas with it. I will use my rotary if I have to go around bumpers or pillars if needed but I have been known to just use the 5.5 and angel it right.

What happened with the PC? How much is it to fix? might be worth it to have as a dedicated small spot buffer and use the Flex for the majority of the work. I use my rotary the most and then the 3401 to spread wax or do an AIO. I know that there are new BPs for the flex that lets you run a 4in pad i think so thats an option as well.

The biggest thing I don't like about the Flex is the BP issues. Its a pain to switch them and get into tight areas because of the way its made and where the BP is. I love the machine though and can't rec it enough

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you use the same backing plate for both 5.5 and 6.5 pads on your 3401?

As far as what i was doing, I was sanding down a project this weekend. When all of a sudden the spindle separated from the bearing and came flying off with the backing plate still attached. It put a nice scratch in the cabinet at that speed. I looked at parts cost and I may get it fixed and keep around for other projects but not to touch a car.

I have also been eyeing the flex L3403 today and you can go pretty small with pad size on that machine. I am just not ready to fully dedicate myself to a full size rotary as I have zero experience with those but I still need something more reliable to replace the pc. Sounds like I need both flex machines huh or at least a back up. What say you forum?

Post Thanks / Like

I too would like to know why there seems to be quite a number of shafts breaking on these polishers.

I've had the first generation Porter Cable 7424 for about 14 years and not one single issue... I've never broken the shaft and was using it for about 3 hours again yesterday.....

The Flex 3401 is quite a machine! Even though it's larger than the Porter Cable 7424 it's not huge by any means.

I have two flex backing plates; the standard one that comes with the unit and the 4 3/8 for use with smaller foam pads.

I'd have the Porter Cable 7424 fixed and keep it for 5 1/2" diameter pads or less. I use mine primarily for applying sealants and waxes now or if I need something smaller for those tight spots....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I love my flex and lately have just been using the cyan and tangerine hydrotech pads. I really like them. I purchased the 4 3/8's backing plate to use with some great hook&loop carpet brushes I found on another site.
    To answer your question I would just try it out with the 5.5 backing plate and if it doesn't work buy the the 4 3/8 with your next order.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what the issue is with all of the recent failures. I however purchased my copy 3 years ago. I plan to report mine to PC in the hope of being part of the solution. I have heard others say that it all started when they moved manufacturing out of country, I have also heard other ideas thrown around. I personally believe it is probably a combination of several factors.

My personal copy of the 7424 is only 3 yrs old and has been used 30 times or less. It was also manufactured in Mexico. However I believe my issue has more to do with bean counters. There was probably some kind of cost cutting measure put into effect. I just tried to attach a photo and am having problems with it, I will try to get one up some time soon.

On a side note, I will get it fixed. It is cheaper to do that than buy another one. I hope the fix will be executed with good parts and service . I understand when people say that they still trust the pc but until it happens to them I wouldnt expect them to be as cautious about using one.

Now I just need to decide if I want a flex 3401 or both a flex 3401 and 3403. I am not quite ready or confident enough for a full size rotary yet and think the 3403 would fit the bill for those small recessed areas. Or I might just get a new pc and use it for the small areas. I dont know yet. I am pretty confident though that I will be getting the 3401. I have plenty of uses for a pc around the house other than sanding wood and polishing cars. I dont know what to do, but I just cant trust that machine around paint now and after less than 30 uses thats not a very good service life.

Post Thanks / Like

you will thank yourself for getting the 3401. I love mine. Yes they are a little pricey but when you figure you'll have it for the rest of your life it is a worth while investment.