autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots 6" DA. Generation 1 -vs- Generation 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The first model didn't work, at least it wouldn't maintain pad rotation under pressure.

There are a lot of oribtal wood sandiners on the market and for the most part only the Porter Cable and the tools modeled after the PC will actually rotate and occillate foam pads under pressure.

The Free Floating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

Enter the Porter Cable DA Sander
    That's right, I said sander! The Porter Cable Dual Action Sander is the tool that became the Tipping Point that was the driving force behind the average person switching from working by hand to working by machine.

The Porter Cable Dual Action Sander with Wood Dust Collecting Attachment for Sanding Wood

Sanding the old finish off using a Porter Cable Dual Action Sander

Now thats very intresting

Leave it to Master P to reach for the roots of the matter
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

My old style PC7424 came with that dust evac system. I have never used it for sanding, so, never used the evac.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby View Post
    I bet they did power them down a little. Mine will eat pads at speed 6. It is a monster. I bet they got tired of replacing pads.

Flash, you must not be getting the right tech people. I used to ask for Dustin. Not sure he is still there. I have not had a tech problem in a long time (once I turned my speed down to 5 and quit smoking pads.)
    sometimes batches (in this case motor) will vary and may not be consistent with previous (kinda like microfiber towels) perhaps. it would be nice to get the same exact product (like in anything) everytime, but when they produce thousands it's sometimes not very likely. it's hard to get the same exact thing each and every time...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    sometimes batches (in this case motor) will vary and may not be consistent with previous (kinda like microfiber towels) perhaps. it would be nice to get the same exact product (like in anything) everytime, but when they produce thousands it's sometimes not very likely. it's hard to get the same exact thing each and every time...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    I understand that and that may very well be the case. The reason I think they may have changed it is because when I bought mine I called about it damaging pads.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...moked-pad.html

I asked them about the problem. They were telling me no pressure, let the machine do the work, only speeds 4 to 5, etc. When I first got started (I started with Griots 10 or 12 years ago when they sold the PC7424 with their sticker on it), they were telling me the opposite. Even when I looked at this generation GG6, it was speed 6, moderate pressure, etc.

I got the impression they were having problems with them eating Griots own pads. One of the techs said something to me about delaminating pads.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

I think there might be a difference in the newer generation of GG 6" polishers. I have seen one with the rotary switch in the back with white numbers and another with black numbers. Both seem to work well and I havent been able to compare them at speed 6 because I have never found a need to go that high.

Post Thanks / Like

My Griots, which I bought this May, ate a Griots polishing pad. I called them and they sent me a free pad. It ate two LC orange flat pads on a soft Toyota hood two weeks ago. I can't stop it from rotating on speed 6 nor 5. It is a beast and I need pads that can go the distance.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot how heavy the GG machine is .

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

After polishing 4 cars with the new machine, I've come to the conclusion that the new generation is better then ever. Less vibration and still as powerful as before

I recommend that everyone should have one of these in their arsenal
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Update:

After polishing 4 cars with the new machine, I've come to the conclusion that the new generation is better then ever. Less vibration and still as powerful as before

I recommend that everyone should have one of these in their arsenal
    Was it ever determined whether Mark's GG's were defective or were they the newer less powerful new version? I bought my GG this past May and it is very powerful---I can't stop it on speed 6 nor 5. I don't intend to get a new one anytime soon, especially since it has life-time warranty. I was under the impression that the newer ones had less vibration but less power.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast