autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpets

Post Thanks / Like

Carpets

What do you guys think I should do? Should I get the Bissell LGM or get a stronger shop vac in order to help with cleaning carpets. I'm not starting a business or anything, but I do do friend and family cars. Carpets have always been a pain with just scrubbing with Folex. I'm looking to make it a little easier. Any input please. I don't have any more than $100 to spend.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpets

i would look at the pf 51 wet/dry vac that ritchy did a review on

Post Thanks / Like

The BLGM is a popular tool with many of the Forum Members. I don't think you could find a better tool for the money!
    My name is Jeff and I like to make things SHINE!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    i would look at the pf 51 wet/dry vac that ritchy did a review on
    Will do. I'm going to the store now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cutter View Post
    The BLGM is a popular tool with many of the Forum Members. I don't think you could find a better tool for the money!
    Complete name. please?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimnib View Post
    Complete name. please?
    Bissell Little Green Machine....yeah...I had to get used to these abbreviations as well.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it depends on how you see yourself needing the machine. Is it going to be used for vacuuming 90-95% of the time? If so, without a doubt, check out the PF51. It is totally off the RADAR for detailers, and I found it by chance. The specs were so impressive that I bought it. I love, love, love the machine. Very powerful with a great combo of water lift (suction power) and CFM (volume of air it pulls). They have an amazing return policy too if you buy it and are not blown away. It was on sale for $119 with $19 shipping to CONUS. Try to get them to honour that price if it's more now. They seemed pretty easy to work with. If you put in PF51 in the search, you'll see my comprehensive review of it.
    If you are going to be using the machine to take out serious stains in mats or carpeting only, the Bissel Machine is OK. There are lots of shortfalls to it, but it is a cheap price. Folex and white terry towels will remove a ton of stains! That product is not to be underestimated.
    After the vacuum, you should start thinking about a steamer....now you really up your game with one of those!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Bissell LGM that I used once and then set it on the top shelf. It was just too loud to comfortably use. It sucks up water ok (but not great) but for serious stain spotting you need a bit more. I detail professionally and what I use after chemically treating the carpets is a carpet brush attachment for my cordless drill. I'd go with the soft greenish aqua colored one sold here for $19; I also have the white but have torn some seats on a basic corolla using it. After agitating with the brush I then wipe with a microfiber and then I use a 15 gal Craftsman shop vac I bought off ebay brand new for only $60 to suck up the remaining dirt and water. I just used this method today and did all the heavily soiled carpeting in a Lexus suv in only about 30 min.

By the way, when I got the vac the power switch wouldn't flip, but since it was a Craftsman I took it to Sears and they switched it out with a new one. So dont worry about buying a dud off ebay. The Craftsman vac also comes with a 240mph+ blower which I've used to blow dry my vehicles as well as to do yard work around my house. Also by having the large 15 gal capacity Ive also been able to use it to suck up water from boat wells and most recently get rid of the excess water in my garage brought on by hurricanes.

Another tool I also use when doing carpets is a steam cleaner. I'd recommend the McCulloch 1275 which I also bought from ebay for only $80. If the unit breaks the company will issue you 1 free replacement after you send them a picture showing that your original is truly nonoperational. My first Mcculloch steamer lasted me almost an entire year before it started malfunctioning on me- umm I dont know why it started acting up when I only backed over it with a F-150 and sent it tumbling a few times while it was turned on. This steamer is also a great multipurpose tool and I've used it to clean some heavily soiled bathroom grout, clean off mechanical engines, easily remove wallpaper, and even used it to heat up some vinyl siding to smooth it back out after melting it a little with my grill hood. My landlord never even noticed!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    Bissell Little Green Machine....yeah...I had to get used to these abbreviations as well.
    Thanks

opie_7afe

i just use a wet/dry vac using the nozzles from the LGM or any bissel carpet cleaner with upholstery attachments, the nozzles concentrate the suction and remove a lot more water then a standard nozzle...good luck to ya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast