autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I usaly go to the local car wash, just give it a good wash with the tuchless coin op The one u do it yourself, sometimes i get out the bucket and stuff but its hard to fill it up with the strong hose usaly i just hit it with the preasure washer, then dry.... not the best technique but work with what u got at this point i didnt have a pc so i wasnt to worried about swirls i was like ill get them out when i get the stuff..... i was my car a lot out there so it dosnt really get too durty..... i actualy clayed and waxed one day at the car was people were giving me the dirtest looks oh well. I was just getting into detailing and wanted to try out clay, I also waxed my car right infront of my dorm building, if you think u get a lot of comments and weired looks from your neighbours try doing it there but its what you have to do if you have the bug like me haha.. now I have learned so much about car detailing i can see all the mistakes i have made in the past!

Abrcrombe what do you do for washing and detailing??

-Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I live at home and commute to school. 20 mins away, 30-45 if there is traffic. So I just do the 2 bucket system with a foam gun. I am starting to dry with a leaf blower and then finish up with QD and the guzzler. the whole process takes me less than an hour. It goes like clockwork when you have done it for a while. Now I just need to get like that with polishing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Abrcrombie what car do you drive?? I wish i had just like 200 bucks laying around i would get a few things that i would like to have hehe, I CANT STOP I NEED HELP haha I told my roomate id never get a foam gun because of the price but i will proably end up getting one haha... I hope to be able to do some details this summer even if its just a wash or a coat of wax and all the money will go back into my detail addiction!

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    I drive a 95 Thunderbird. 4.6L works for me. Hopefully soon I will be getting a new car. And yes, detailing is pretty expensive... you always want to try new products... supplies. It is endless. I am in the process of finding my "go-to" products and I am going to try to stick to them as much as possible. The foam gun is a nice tool, but it definitely isn't NECESSARY. I would rather you have a guzzler + wax/sealant than a foam gun.
    What do you drive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone used the Water Magnet from meg or the drying towes from chemical guys how do they compare to the Guzzler?

Post Thanks / Like
    What is better, microfibre towel or chamois?
    2006 - Sea Gray - Ford Fusion (European ver.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke33
    How does the Chemical guys WW drying towel compare to the Guzzler? I might get the water magnent how does this compare?
    The Guzzler is much softer...CGs WW is softer then Megs water magnet..I used CGs towel before i built a small collection of Guzzlers..i wouldn't hesitate to use it if my guzzlers where out of commission..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke33
    Has anyone used the Water Magnet from meg or the drying towes from chemical guys how do they compare to the Guzzler?
    The guzzler is much better than the Water Magnet. I have both. the water magnet works okay, but if you can save a few more bucks to get the guzzler you won't be sorry.

The Vroom MF's from Target are okay. I bought some when I started getting into detailing. The Cobra's are better, but the Vroom's are not a bad place to start. I now use mine for wheels and the like.

"Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast" - P.D. Eastman, Go, Dog. Go!

Post Thanks / Like
    months ago i got the 9 square foot microfiber towel from autozone or whatever thinking it was like the guzzler. it sucked and i hated drying wit it. then i got a real guzzler and oh my goodness it is awesome! i have since baught 2 more because it works so good

Post Thanks / Like
    Nuke, just buy the best you can afford, and use them as frequently you can. Using lesser non-boutique items will actually help you apply the better stuff as it comes to you. The key is modifying your technique. Blot vs. swirl, dilution ratios, pad pressure and duration, et cetera. A few premium items here and there ultimately will build an arsenal to envy. Plus you'll be able to work with whatever is at hand. Compared to what your classmates are doing, this is perhaps the healthiest fetish on campus. PM the more experienced hands on the board for advise. Welcome to our fraternal affliction.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast