autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paint Meter

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Meter

Alright well I'm in the mood to spend some money today...I've already purchased the Gaia VX 5000 steamer/extractor.

I'm also in the market for a paint meter. I've searched the forums and it seems as though everyone has recommended the Highline Meter II. Which is was I was looking to get.

Has anyone come across any other meter that works better? In doing the search on the forum it seems as though the last thread about it was about a year ago. Didn't know if anyone has come across another meter in the same price range?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Highline meter since it seems everyone loves theirs, but just wanted to make it open for discussion.

Thanks guys/gals!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Meter

I dont have any experience with them yet, but, the Highline II seems to be the bang for buck favorite. That is what I am going to order.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's probably what I'm going to do just wanted some opinions.

Also if it's really needed? I know it's nice to be able to check paint thickness through out the car to ensure yourself of any spots that you need to be careful with, but honestly how many detailers that do a good amount of paint corrections actual use one?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't bring myself to drop the dough on the expensive meters. They're just too expensive. It's not cost affective to drop that much on a tool that you're most likely only going to use on jobs where you'll be wet, or damp sanding. Which in my experience...are few and far between.

I have a cheap magnetic pen gauge that I paid $50 for. I've used it a few times, and it gives me a good idea of what I'm working with. I don't need a 100% accurate measurement to know if it's too thin to work with. Typically I just like to know if something has been resprayed or not, and how thick it roughly is. The pen does that for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    I can't bring myself to drop the dough on the expensive meters. They're just too expensive. It's not cost affective to drop that much on a tool that you're most likely only going to use on jobs where you'll be wet, or damp sanding. Which in my experience...are few and far between.

I have a cheap magnetic pen gauge that I paid $50 for. I've used it a few times, and it gives me a good idea of what I'm working with. I don't need a 100% accurate measurement to know if it's too thin to work with. Typically I just like to know if something has been resprayed or not, and how thick it roughly is. The pen does that for me.
    What is the pen that you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    What is the pen that you use?
    Pretty sure this is exactly what I have. It's cheap, and comes in handy when you do actually need it. It doesn't give a completely accurate reading obviously. But, you can tell by how long it stays stuck to the paint how thick the paint is. If it's had bondo work...it won't stick at all. If it's been resprayed...it won't stick long at all cause of how thick the paint is. If it's thin, it sticks for a long time cause of how thin it is, and how close you are to the metal. Works for me!

Pro Gauge II Powder Paint Thickness Gauge

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...Might be something to consider. It's cheap enough that if it doesn't fit what I want then I can just spend the money on the Highline later. But...if I don't like it it's $50 I could have put towards the Highline.

Decisions decisions...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    Hmm...Might be something to consider. It's cheap enough that if it doesn't fit what I want then I can just spend the money on the Highline later. But...if I don't like it it's $50 I could have put towards the Highline.

Decisions decisions...
    I'm not saying it can replace the Highline. I think they are very different tools. But, I also think that for someone who isn't going to do a ton of full corrections, wet/damp sanding, or body work...that it would suit their needs. I just don't really see the full benefit of knowing exactly what the measurement of the paint is. Obviously there's perks to it. But what I'm saying is...you rarely need that perk.

This is obviously just my opinion that I'm basing off of the overall work I see at my shop. I just don't do a ton of full corrections. I do a lot more two step, or one step polishes with my packages than anything else. I probably need a paint gauge 2-3 times a year...if that. I do a lot more corrections to particular panels more so than a whole vehicle. I just eyeball that and not go too crazy. Never had an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Completely understand what your saying. Something for me to think about and see what I want to do. I may just end up buying the meter to safe guard myself for when I do some paint corrections. If I can limit my risk of something going wrong then I'd like to do that. We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the Highline II based on the fact that a couple detailers that I look up to use it. If it's good enough for them, then I know it will be perfect for me
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast