autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

3M™ Trizact™ Hookit™ 3 and 6 Inch Foam Discs

Foam or no foam hook and loop is the question!?!?!?!

Lately I've been doing hand and block sanding but I've got the extra capital now to make the plunge on some wetsanding accesories ...
    I'm tempted to go with the foam backed pads as they theoretically seem like they would play nicer on the curves or high points .. but i can get 10 extra discs if i go with straight hook n loop ...

Anyone have hands on experience with foam backed sanding discs? and how does the G110V2 or the like work as an orbital wet-sander?

lastly can you wet sand with a rotary airpowered gun? I purchased one from Harbor a while back for $30 and i dont believe its orbital ... actually someone just say no so I have a reason to buy another toy :P

Thx

Mike Phillips

Re: 3M™ Trizact™ Hookit™ 3 and 6 Inch Foam Discs

The idea behind a foam backing it to provide a less aggressive sanding action and provide a little cushion for contours. You can also have cushion from an interface pad between your disc and backing plate.

What are you mostly working on?

This article is long but has a lot of information and pictures of the Meguiar's Unigrit Discs but these are similar to the Trizact discs. Keep in mind that 3M now owns Meguiar's. Jason Rose told me the discs use a different abrasive slurry, but how different is a trade secret.

Damp-Sanding Tools, Tips and Techniques by Mike Phillips

You'll get great performance from either when it comes to machine sanding. We don't carry the Mirka Abralon system but I'm a big fan of finishing out with the #4000 grit as you actually start to polish the paint at this level and the buff-out is fast and easy.

Don't use a rotary buffer to machine sand, you'll remove too much paint too fast...

All of the DA Polishers we offer work well for machine dampsanding, of course use at your own risk, I cover this in the articles above.

Porter Cable 7424XP

Griot's Garage 6" ROP

Meguiar's G110v2

3M Random Orbital 6 Inch Air Sander 20325

Mike Phillips

I put this together last spring, it needs to be updated but most the products are linked in the thread...

List of Sanding Discs at Autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike,

I like this comment the most:
    All of the DA Polishers we offer work well for machine dampsanding, of course use at your own risk, I cover this in the articles above.

I best the most damage i could do is stay in one place for to long ...

Now as for what i will be working with .... most scuffs and scratches on autos I tackle by hand but lately I have done boats with some serious gelcoat oxidation and I am in no position nor care to hand sand a boat!

I have a 24ft SeaRay coming in next week for a 2 day stay and have promised a wetsand of all top/flat panels on the upper deck ... sides are fine... I hit a 1x1 with 1000-1500-2000 section and it cleaned up with Megs49 and wool so turns out thats the ticket as 49 barely did anything and you can literally feel the Dim abrz in it.

Any pointers and product recommendations appreciated ... but honestly for $250 I can get the GG 6 and 3 inch VS the Mirka and 3M ... whatcha think?