autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: looking into getting a polisher

Quote Originally Posted by viviorunitia88 View Post
    i looked into the wolfgang and it seems like good stuff but i found Menzerna polishes for ceramic clear coat paint, Flex buffer, Nano polish, super intensive, Lake Country pads, Show car kit
    since my car is getting sprayed with ceramic clear i thought this may be best.
    The flex is the best choice IMHO if you are not on a budget, I prefer the Hydro-Tech pads over the CCS but that's just me, And I still like the WG polishes over those Menz but you will find others that are just the opposite...it comes down to what YOU like. All listed items are top line stuff so if you are happy then that's what works best for you....I wish I had a flex........My birthday is coming!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    I disagree, the diminishing abrasive is better for a beginner because it progressively gets smaller and smaller, you can come really close to an LSP ready finish with WG TSR, no matter how good you are you will need to at least follow 105 with 205 and some even follow further with Menz 085. Once you see the diminishing abrasives disappear you are done with the 105 you need to know when you are done or it will just keep cutting.
    I have seen more posts here complaining of holograms with the 105/205 combo...It's a learning curve but if you want a newbie to not get frustrated and to expand, and keep learning' it's better that they get good results the first few times they try.
    Before a flame starts...I'm not comparing 105/205 to WG TSR combo. I'm saying for a beginner the first time out it's more forgiving and works really well. If he were under the watchful eye of a pro that might be a different story. I have 105/205 as well as the the WG combo and I pick up the WG 9 out of 10 times for it's easy, forgiving characteristics. Like Mike says "Find something you like and use it often" I have and I do.
    First how can you physically see the abrasives diminsh. Secondly with 105/205 you can stop when your finish is where you want it, no waiting on the abrasives breaking down. Plus TSR should be followed up also.

Also with TSR you are stuck with it being able to only to do so much which isn't that much to begin with. For example-105 with four different pads you have four different cuts of polish, you do not get that with TSR. 105 and 205 used with a da is not going to produce these holograms that you speak of. If you are talking about holograms with a rotary then TSR also will induce them that is why it will need to be followed up. So I do not see how that TSR is an easier for a beginner than the Megs twins, other than getting incorrect info on the forums.

I am not starting a flame war but if you are going to give advice, make sure you have complete knowledge of what you are comparing a product to-i.e., thorough hands on of the products.

To the op, both products are both very good, TSR, you are limited,with the Megs twins you get more polishes just with a change of pads and no you will not get holograms with it on a da. Both are very easy to use also so do not be "scared" that the Megs twins are anymore difficult to use than other polishes. Lastly you will have to weed through the poor info vs. the bad, especially those that try to compare products and do not have the knowledge of both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    First how can you physically see the abrasives diminsh. Secondly with 105/205 you can stop when your finish is where you want it, no waiting on the abrasives breaking down. Plus TSR should be followed up also.

Also with TSR you are stuck with it being able to only to do so much which isn't that much to begin with. For example-105 with four different pads you have four different cuts of polish, you do not get that with TSR.
    So you are saying that using a Orange pad and a White pad with the WG TSR gives me the same results...Why the hell did I buy all those pads then, I should have just bought one for all my work, what an idiot I am and all the others that purchase different pads for use with these.

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    I am not starting a flame war but if you are going to give advice, make sure you have complete knowledge of what you are comparing a product to-i.e., thorough hands on of the products.
    Lastly you will have to weed through the poor info vs. the bad, especially those that try to compare products and do not have the knowledge of both.
    You will also need to decipher those who THINK they know everything and those of us who admittedly don't!I'm the later! And an amateur. Asphalt Rocket is an awesome detailer and a professional, but so are a lot of others here at Autogeek.....
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you might have bought too many pads because when you use a pad that is too aggressive for a certain polish , you will get more marring than paint correction. Since you are an amateur I would understand that you wouldn't know that but I am here to help you out.

I appreciate your kind words and never claimed to know everything, but like I said before talking about products you should have knowledge on how they work when making a comparison of two. I just can't agree with the "a lot" part of awesome detailers on here, but I would agree with decent or good though.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a little Quote from Mike Phillips in a thread here, http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...plan-look.html

"The Wolfgang Twins are without a doubt the easiest products I've ever used with a DA Polisher and consistently produce show car results."

But he's probably one of those "decent" detailers you refer to here. Guess Mike does not have the "knowledge on how they work when making a comparison of two".

I must be doing something wrong because I'm using some of those " too aggressive" pads with my WG TSR and never get any marring and great paint correction. Oh but I probably don't know what I'm looking at so that must be the problem...........I'm an idiot!

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    Just a little Quote from Mike Phillips in a thread here, http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...plan-look.html

"The Wolfgang Twins are without a doubt the easiest products I've ever used with a DA Polisher and consistently produce show car results."

But he's probably one of those "decent" detailers you refer to here. Guess Mike does not have the "knowledge on how they work when making a comparison of two".

I must be doing something wrong because I'm using some of those " too aggressive" pads with my WG TSR and never get any marring and great paint correction. Oh but I probably don't know what I'm looking at so that must be the problem...........I'm an idiot!
    I am glad to see we finally can agree on something, I knew at some point we would.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand where your comming from i have learned quite a bit from the body shop thats painting my car since he has become a good friend of mine but since its going to be a ceramic clear am i going to need a special compound or not??? thats why i was leaning twords the mer just because its stated it was for ceramic clear. I have no problem spending the money on diffrent polishs and such as i will anyways since i want to try many products to see what ones i prefer. My car is getting painted aston martin meatorite silver with 2 coats of self healing clear from the nissian inffinty line and toped with 2+ coats of the ceramic clear thats found of merc, lambo ect. So im just trying to make sure the products i buy will acutaly be able to be used and not destroy 1500 worth of clear coat lol. I do plan on praticing on my daily driver since the paint isent that great and if i screw it up too bad i can get it resprayed for free anyhow. Thanks for all the advice guys just if anyone knows if the ceramic clear needs a certain type like the mer kit then can you let me know so i dont waste too much money lol.

Post Thanks / Like

With ceramiclear I would suggest the menzerna line. Powergloss, SIP, and 85rd. Get a variety of pads and you will be able to do exactly what you need. The working time is very nice compared to 105/205 and holograms are rare in a 3 step using only a rotary.

Also why are you planning on spraying self healing under ceramiclear?
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

i dont know its what my body guy wants to do hes paying for it since he owes me a few favors and that what he came up with. Its going on my molded widebody rx7

Post Thanks / Like

If you have someone in a body shop who is willing to teach you about paint you will be way ahead of the game when detailing. I also had a friend that all he did was custom paint work and that is where I honed my detailing skills. If you want to really learn how to detail paint at least hang out with your buddy that does custom painting. Also look at some of Rasky's show and shines he grew up with a knowledge of paint from his dad doing painting, he is a great detailer also.

Since working on a lot of the cars you have mentioned the Megs twins were the only ones to really work on those clears. In the end any of the polishes will work on your ceramic clear but it may take a whole lot longer with some than others. Plus I would suggest to pick up some 85rd to final polish with to bring out the gloss, depth and clarity.

I posted one of the Lambos I have done in show and shine that came from the factory with wet sand marks and the only thing that would touch them is 105. Lambo clear is by far the hardest clear to work with, Mercedes coming close but not near as bad.

Good luck on your project and keep us updated on it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast