autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this has been beat to death BUT???

I know this has probably been beat to death but I would like to know your thoughts on the makita 9227c and the flex 3401. After weeks of thought and reading in this forum I just ordered the makita 9227c, will be here tomorrow on Weds. Now with that being said reading thru all the posts concerning rotary vs. orbital, I decided on wanted the makita 9227c and probably the flex 3401. I have read that the rotary will leave some marks behind and needs to be finished up with a orbital and from what I have read the flex 3401 is the one to get. First off people are prolly gonna bring up the money issue, let's not talk about money and treat it like it doesn't matter please. My concern is that I don't want to buy a tool and find out that it's going to be collecting dust. I guess I can wait for the Makita and try it out to see if I can finish the paint without going over it with the flex. Here's the thing, I like tools and when I'm doing a job I hate it when I think I need a tool to have to stop and order it. So my question is since I have the makita coming, is the flex really all that? Do you think I really need a flex with a rotary in the bag? I will be using LC 6.5 inch pads so if i do get the flex I can use the pads with both machines. I'm not sure if I really need the flex. The flex owners here make it sound so good that I just have to have one. Any thoughts? Would the flex really, really, really be that good?
    Thanks again guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I know this has been beat to death BUT???

I have both a rotary and a DA and I honestly have to say I really touch the DA. I have been using a rotary for several years now and have no problems with getting a perfect finish. Its all in the technique and experience you have with the machine.

If you are doing this as a side job/professionally it would be good to have both machines around because you dont know what types of paint you will encounter. I worked on an G37 a while back with sticky clear. No matter what I used via rotary it would gum up the polish from the heat. Though I got it done, it was one of those times where I wish I had brought my DA along.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a rotary and a DA. The only down side to getting the Flex is that you cannot use smaller pads like with a PC, GG or G110v2. IMO your Makita and a DA would be a perfect match. If money is not an issue get the Flex DA too. Now your ready for war you have all the weapons.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have both the Makita and the Flex 3401 .It all depends on what your trying to accomplish.Just like Alan T mentioned if you can get your technique downwith a rotary that will always work for you.If not instead of spending the extra money on the flex you can always look into adding the PCXP or the GG and that will get all the areas covered.
    Lamborghini Broward

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have read alot of people state that the Flex is limited to the pads and pad size. After doing some research, I have found that 3m makes a backing plate for the Flex.
    Edge FLEX XC 3401 Conversion Adapter, Edge Pads adapter for FLEX Orbital Buffer, 3M Edge 2000 Adapter
    What are your thoughts about this backing plate? I have heard that this backing plate makes the flex really vibrate way to much. Has anybody used or tried this backing plate? If this backing plate works as well as the stock backing plate, wouldn't this be a good way to use multiple different size pads on the Flex? Sorry for so many questions but I just want to know more about the tools I am going to buy.
    Thanks