autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prototype Lake Country Hydro-tech pads - Testing, Results and Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Detailing View Post
    We clean with either pure luke warm water if we can, or, if necessary, we use a 10:1 APC and rinse with luke warm water until the pads are squeezing out clean water.
    How often (after how many sections) are you cleaning before washing? I take it that you apply a few more drops of product and keep polishing right?

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update OCD and VR8.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Okay since I was there for a little bit and was not working on the car I can provide a pretty good description. I got there when the outside temp was hovering around 32 with heavy snow. Inside temp was probably 48 or so and Adam was half way through the driver door and John was on the right rear door. When I got there Adam showed me the pad and the dimple had started to form but it was no where near as deep as it was before I left. I can justify that the one time Adam's cyan was washed it was done with LUKE warm water only. It was then spun dry using "The Cheap Rotary" (oh emm gee, I went there) and put infront of a halogen flipping often and making sure it didn't get near warm. I can also justify that the pad was not hot, in fact it was barely warm after each panel (it just felt like it because it was so friggin cold), AND the backing plate was perfectly normal, no unusual wear, high temp, nothing. On top of all of this, the cyan had lost a ton of density throughout the entire pad (outside wasn't so bad, but the center was like a gray or red CCS) on the Griot's and not so much but still a lot on the Flex.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the way these pads corrected and cannot wait until they get the kinks worked out. But at ten bucks a pop, I can't afford pad failures.

As a side note, just incase you don't watch the video, from what I have gathered from youtube and instructionals on here Adam is doing nothing wrong. Some would say textbook but I don't know, I'm what they call a n00b.
    Hope this helps,
    Jonathan

Post Thanks / Like

lol Thanks a lot Jonathan. Anything else you can think of, please add it when you think of it. I really want to find a way to make these pads a viable option with my polisher, just not at the expense of not being able to use my machine to it's fullest extent (meaning at full speed).
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

Can't think of anything else other than what is explained by the pictures other than just how dense these things are. Cyan is like a brick that someone might like to sleep on and tangerine was comparible to an orange CCS.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm finding it hard to believe that moisture and steam have much to do with that pads failure. Please remember, the pad started to show concave BEFORE it was ever rinsed out with water. Now the heat build up may be a factor, but not moisture.

I think it's also worth adding, because the Flex is a forced rotation machine, we have often noticed that the panel of a car being worked on will become more warm to the touch after using my Flex than after using the Griot's. So it seems to me that I would be generating the most heat, doesn't it?

For the record, I didn't clean my pad until I was done with my half of the car. There was very little build-up of product on the pad which you can see in the pic.

I still think he got a bum pad.

Post Thanks / Like

With the pad being so dense it is very easy for the pad to be hot enough when damp to cause some steam.

Post Thanks / Like

The pad didn't have any liquid other than product in it when it started to dimple in the center. I only rinsed it once during the entire half of the car and I rinsed in luke warm water and got it almost bone dry by putting it under a halogen light for a few seconds on each side as we only received 2 of each pad for testing. THe pad was almost completely dry though. The center was very slightly damp, but not wet.
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    I'm finding it hard to believe that moisture and steam have much to do with that pads failure. Please remember, the pad started to show concave BEFORE it was ever rinsed out with water. Now the heat build up may be a factor, but not moisture.

I think it's also worth adding, because the Flex is a forced rotation machine, we have often noticed that the panel of a car being worked on will become more warm to the touch after using my Flex than after using the Griot's. So it seems to me that I would be generating the most heat, doesn't it?

For the record, I didn't clean my pad until I was done with my half of the car. There was very little build-up of product on the pad which you can see in the pic.

I still think he got a bum pad.
    Do we have two Jonathan's here? I was referring to the heat from the shaft to the plate and not the heat from the pad on the paint. Like my 3m backing plate, the heat from the spindle (machine) made the backing plate hot which in turn burned the back of the pad which caused the center to concave. Wheww I hope you got that. Unlike the Flex the Griot's backing plate has direct contact to the spindle.
    Last edited by Rsurfer; 02-16-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

John is VR8. Jonathan is JMP09FG2. Just to clear that issue up.
    (434)851-1313

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast