autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

porter cable or griots garage

i am on a tight budget.

i will be returning my northern tool rotary buffer, it heats up and smells like burning electronics and the worst part is it creates holograms (could be user error but oh well) and i rather just return it and get a DA orbital buffer

i am on a tight budget, i am looking at the

Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher

or

Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher

thing is, it looks like with the porter cable your pretty much required to use bonnets (yuck!!) or change out the head to one of your choice.

it looks like the porter cable has less amp. but does this matter compared to the griots?

comparing the 2 which is more smooth to work with ?
    i used a flex today and it was a bit rough on the hands at high speeds but after a min of rest the soreness went away. what i dont want is something to rough on the hands leaving u in pain for a few hours!!! (been there done that)

so with a budget of 150$ shipped in mind. and not having to buy attachments to be able to use hook and loop attachments. whats the word?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: porter cable or griots garage

Hello!
    I have only used the PC7424XP and is user friendly, great quality and you can find a lot of accessories... You can not go wrong with this machine..!

Post Thanks / Like

You could get a Lake Country backing plate along with the PCXP for under $150. There is free shippin on orders over $75 right now.

As for which one is better.... I haven't hear anyone come out and say that they've tried both and _______ is better. I don't think you can go wrong with either one really. They are both much better that the 1st generation PC7424 and Griots. I'm not sure which one has less vibration. They are probably pretty similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips tested both and stated the Griot's was in fact a more powerful machine. I believe the Griot's is the best one on the market right now. It will come with the hook and loop backing plate, too. Really, you can't go wrong with either.

Colin

Post Thanks / Like

When looking at a tool just because it has more power does not mean it is better. It comes down to who makes a better tool, Porter Cable is one of the best tool makers out there. Also with the Porter Cable and 5.5 inch pads and with your knowledgw of 105 and 205 you are pretty much set. I have both tools and there really isn't much difference to me. Also something you will need to remember is that all da's are going to have that vibration.

As far as your rotary, it is a process to learn that will not cause your holograms and when you instill them you can take them out with the right technique.

Post Thanks / Like

The Griot is a bit more powerful and comes with a lifetime warranty. However, Porter Cable is known for their reliability as they are thousands of 1st generation 7424 that has been time tested. They are both good machines and you can't go wrong with either one. Btw my first Griot lasted for a whole 2 min. and shut down. AG promply replaced it and the second one seems to be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    When looking at a tool just because it has more power does not mean it is better. It comes down to who makes a better tool, Porter Cable is one of the best tool makers out there. Also with the Porter Cable and 5.5 inch pads and with your knowledgw of 105 and 205 you are pretty much set. I have both tools and there really isn't much difference to me. Also something you will need to remember is that all da's are going to have that vibration.

As far as your rotary, it is a process to learn that will not cause your holograms and when you instill them you can take them out with the right technique.
    amps and watts make for better motors to my knowledge, weather that motor is better or not is up to the manufacture. just like Horse Power in engines. less horse power may not compete. alton brown once said "watts is where its at" but that was about a kitchen appliance, though what he explained made sense to me.

the technique to eliminate holograms happening in future projects, well, fact of the matter is my northern tool buffer does start smelling like burning electronics. i could just go out and get ANOTHER rotary buffer but i think, after using the flex, i would be more happy with an easier to handle, lighter weight DA buffer. im defiantly returning the northern tool buffer

i could spend hours and hours learning under some ones watchful eye to teach me how to work with the rotary buffer. or i could use what i learned from steve today with the DA buffer and just buy one that is similar to his.

no doubt that i will be tossing the rotary to the curb and going with DA. to me it makes FAR less of a mess, and its easier to work with, lighter weight in the hands and seemingly faster with better results with my skill level.

Post Thanks / Like

The key sentence to your post, it depends on the manufactor on whether it is better. Just because it has more does not mean it is more reliable. When it comes to racing having the most horsepower will not always win either. Good luck with your da purchase and from reading your post you will jump right in there and get a handle on the da.
    Last edited by ASPHALT ROCKET; 11-24-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Good luck with your da purchase and from reading your post you will jump right in there and get a handle on the da.
    thanks! yeah im learning from a great guy!!!

should have it figured out in no time, especially after the holidays when i have more money to buy accessories

Post Thanks / Like

I have had my PC 6 years and 0 down time. I'm not a huge fan of buying something in the first year of production, alot of the original "Ultimate Detailing Machine" buyers learned that the hard way, everybody jumped to it cuz it had more power than the PC, well guess what, its durability was terrible.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast