autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: porter cable or griots garage

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    The key sentence to your post, it depends on the manufactor on whether it is better. Just because it has more does not mean it is more reliable. When it comes to racing having the most horsepower will not always win either. Good luck with your da purchase and from reading your post you will jump right in there and get a handle on the da.
    in there and get a handle on the da.[/QUOTE]

You can't always go by the one that seems to have more. It can be more of something that you will never use or not even notice the difference in having it. It's like getting an SUV 95% of all SUV'S never are driven off road so who cares about what degree of an incline it can climb. You have to concern yourself with the features and benefits of the machine that matter most to you. What ever you do don't get sucked into believing some of the outlandish claims some people make about their toys. If it sounds to good to be true tell them to prove it. Everyone is entitled to have their opinion not to many people will run out and spend $150.00 just because TOM #### or Harry likes it. But if someone makes a claim that a specific machine will out perform its competitor under conditions that in fact makes that competitor cease operating all together some people might make a purchase decision based on that Just make sure that that person can back up their claims with facts and not just some cheap talk.
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

No offense but throw some commas,,,,,in that commentary, that made my head spin..

Mike Phillips

Just a comment...

There's a time and place for all the different tools being talked about and everyone has their favorite and their opinion.

As far as the choice between a PC and a GG goes, both tools bring a lot of power to the table, as pointed out, the Porter Cable name carries with it a long history of reliability, I've been using and teaching others to use this tool as long as anyone and probably longer than most and buffed out zillion cars with them so you're never going to find me putting this brand down.

I've also used the Griot's Garage ROP and someone on this forum I posted my thoughts on it, suffice to say, I was very surprised at how much power this tool offers.

In the big picture, both tools will get the job done and you can use any backing plate and foam pad system that's designed for use with dual action polishers with either tool.

You have a lot of experienced and talented people chiming in on this thread and with either tool you decide to go with you're not going to be disappointed. I've met Richard Griot's and he's the real deal when it comes to "Car Guys", I've never met Mr. Porter Cable but again, the brand name's reputation is as solid as concrete.

In a way, it almost comes down to your friend's opinions and...

Red?

or

Gray?

Did that help?

Post Thanks / Like

I use my G100 (PC 7335) with the Soft Buff 2.0 and it works great and I recently bought some 5.5" LC pads from AG and can't wait to try them (cold here right now).

I can't make my mind up if I want the PCX or the GG machines.......

I'm gonna flip a quarter on it I think.....

You can't go wrong with either one I don't think.

When I get one or the other, my G100 will be 4" and 5.5" pad duty and the new one for bigger pads.....

Can't lose with either one.
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unclestu View Post
    You have to concern yourself with the features and benefits of the machine that matter most to you. .............
    But if someone makes a claim that a specific machine will out perform its competitor under conditions that in fact makes that competitor cease operating all together some people might make a purchase decision based on that Just make sure that that person can back up their claims with facts and not just some cheap talk.
    well you make a good point. so please go ahead and tell me the features and benifits of the machine that matter most.

i havent yet really heard a true comparison other then the griot has less of a reliability factor.

i believe the both have the same features.... just one already has a hook and loop on it and one you have to buy one for....

u make a good point but your not really helping me choose one

so far i am most likely going with porter cable. but unfortunately i rather have the loop handle design of the griot's
    the side handle of the porter im still iffy about since well, i've tried both handle designs and i like one design better then the other

Quote Originally Posted by Bradshaw View Post
    I have had my PC 6 years and 0 down time. I'm not a huge fan of buying something in the first year of production, alot of the original "Ultimate Detailing Machine" buyers learned that the hard way, everybody jumped to it cuz it had more power than the PC, well guess what, its durability was terrible.

i agree but, i bought a scion XD in the first year of production and i absolutely love it. 2 years going strong on mine.

then again i bought a dodge caliber in the first year of its production and it was complete crap. dodge claims durability but just doesnt deliver.

toyota rarely disappoints. (ive owned 2 so far and bf has 1 also)

so this lesson can also be applied to the buffer concept. u got to look at the company as a whole, do they use cheep parts? are they trying to save a buck here and there? what warranty do they have and do they honestly back it up.

dodge didnt do crap for my none working radio buttons on stearing wheel, engine rattle noise, water leak from roof trim, and squeeky breaks.

toyota, i had squeeky breaks (lots of rain one year) and they replaced pads and machined rotors free of charge @ 12,000 miles on my scion. they could have claimed normal wear and tear like dodge did.

all and all its the company that makes the machine, not the machine that makes the company (or in porter cable its both)
    Last edited by 87rx7chick; 11-25-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 87rx7chick View Post
    i haven't yet really heard a true comparison other then the griot has less of a reliability factor.
    I think it would be more accurate to say that the Griot's tool hasn't been on the market as long as the Porter Cable since the Griot's tool is new to this market. It could be that it's just as reliable, just not proven over time yet. There's a subtle difference.

i beieve the both have the same features.... just one already has a hook and loop on it and one you have to buy one for....
    They both use hook and loop backing plates and you can change them to the size you want. The Griot's comes with a very nice 5 7/8" backing plate that is the re-enforced style and the stock PC 7424XP does not come with a backing plate you have to purchase one extra. Point being the both use the same "type" of backing plates.

i rather have the loop handle design of the griot's
    the side handle of the porter im still iffy about since well, i've tried both handle designs and i like one design better then the other

Or try them with no handle at all and you might like that option also.

Here's some related reading...

DA Polishers - Stick Handle - Hoop Handle - Or no handle at all?

Rotary Buffers - Stick Handle - Hoop Handle - Or no handle at all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I think it would be more accurate to say that the Griot's tool hasn't been on the market as long as the Porter Cable since the Griot's tool is new to this market. It could be that it's just as reliable, just not proven over time yet. There's a subtle difference.

They both use hook and loop backing plates and you can change them to the size you want. The Griot's comes with a very nice 5 7/8" backing plate that is the re-enforced style and the stock PC 7424XP does not come with a backing plate you have to purchase one extra. Point being the both use the same "type" of backing plates.

Or try them with no handle at all and you might like that option also.

Here's some related reading...

DA Polishers - Stick Handle - Hoop Handle - Or no handle at all?

Rotary Buffers - Stick Handle - Hoop Handle - Or no handle at all

wow. your like an expert or something

haha your awesome dude ur like the library index of this forum!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to electrical tools wattage is what counts, it is a direct correlation to the power differences when comparing tools (taking into account slightly different drive mechanisms). if you are talking "power", wattage is what counts!!. The Griots has a wattage rating of 30-40% higher than the others, it therefore should be substantially more powerful.

Post Thanks / Like

So what is the difference between the PC 7424XP and the "Ultimate Detailing Machine"? They are selling those things for 30% off and I'm thinking about getting one. Is it not the 7424 XP with a gimmicky name or is there more to it than that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sparkism13 View Post
    So what is the difference between the PC 7424XP and the "Ultimate Detailing Machine"? They are selling those things for 30% off and I'm thinking about getting one. Is it not the 7424 XP with a gimmicky name or is there more to it than that?
    It is the same machine !!! With a gimmicky name as you put it !!! LOL !!!!!!!!!!
    Ron !!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast