autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mothers Power Cone

I got to play with the new Mothers Power Cone. I had purchased the Mothers mini-ball 2 years ago to work on some headlights but did not use it for much else.

I decided to polish up some chrome wheels on a 2001 Sebring this weekend after I did paint correction and waxing. These wheels have always been a "shiny" chrome wheel with many spokes so it can be a pain to clean them since brake dust/grease can gather near the inside. I am not a user of strong wheel cleaners so I really on soap and chrome polish but they have never been that bad.

I took out our cordless drill which we never use any more since it is one of those older lower voltage models (7.2 V?) so it could not do much of anything (drilling, etc.)

To get the chrome polish on the cone, I pulled the trigger slightly on the drill and drizzled the chrome polish as it turned. I then rubbed it around some to evenly spread the polish. The cone was probably more saturated than needed but it tended to soak it up readily. Amazingly, I really never threw much polish off the cone when it spun.

I worked the cone in each spoke and at various angles to try to get the cone surface in contact with the wheel and never really did crank of the speed.

The cone cannot completely penetrate that far on some areas of the wheel due to the brake caliper directly behind the spoke opening. However, the nose of the cone does collapse a lot so you end up jamming it against whatever it hits to work the sides of the cone on the wheel surfaces. I was not trying for precision polishing with the tip (brute force method).

Therefore, the tip of the cone gets rather nasty since it contacts the calipers, wheels, and other crud on the backside. I liked the fact I could easily twist it around to get most areas well despite the calipers. Obviously, for the perfect job, you should use this with the wheels off the vehicle.

It felt more stable than the mini-ball in use since it seemed to stay put where you placed it rather than wanting to roll off the spot on flatter surfaces. It am sure I spent more time polishing since the cone was doing all the work.

The final result was very nice.

For clean up, I soaked it in Dawn dish washing liquid and it was remarkably clean. I would suggest cleaning after immediate use to get rid of the brake dust, grease, etc that may get on it. Initially I put it in a tub of water to soak but it floats so I ended up filling a large cup with soap and then wedged it in place so it would be fully immersed.

If you do a polishing in tight or intricate places, this may be just what you need. I plan to try polishing my Dakota wheels with some plastic polish. I had used Plastic Polish by hand but know several spots to see if this will really get rid of some embedded brake dust.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mothers Power Cone

Nice write up. How does it compare to AG buffer stick? Same principle?

Post Thanks / Like

The timing of your write up is great for me. I just used my polishing ball for the 1st time to polish some chrome wheels on a big Infiniti QX56(it had been laying around for like a year). It did a great job but it would not be appropriate for smaller wheels. I know what you mean about it wanting to wander as well. I have been looking at this cone and it is on my next purchase list. Your review of it cements its place there.

Post Thanks / Like

The price is only thing holding me back from Powercone, I love my Powerballs and outlasted my original Flitz Polishing Ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Killer:
    The price is a bit high but the Powercobe works well. I did a set of painted wheels for my Sonoma this past weekend and thought they came out well. I do need to do a separate thread on cleaning the inside of the wheel. Years of crud and no cleaning makes it impossible to clean with the knowledge I have.

But the upside is the part you can see look sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OGauge4Me View Post
    Killer:
    The price is a bit high but the Powercobe works well. I did a set of painted wheels for my Sonoma this past weekend and thought they came out well. I do need to do a separate thread on cleaning the inside of the wheel. Years of crud and no cleaning makes it impossible to clean with the knowledge I have.

But the upside is the part you can see look sweet!
    No need for separate thread, just take the wheels off and scrub away. Amazing Roll Off works great.

Post Thanks / Like

THX Surfer. I have an AG order today that has ARO included based on reviews on the AG forum.

I used the Eagle A2Z and it worked somewhat but the really nasty areas behind the spokes still had imbedded dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

Price is too high--several alternatives/clones on the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Received the ARO today and decided to give it a try on the wheels I am cleaning up. Remember I do not know the history of the wheels and the backside of the rims were covered with a thick embedded brown substance.

Here is a pic after cleaning with A2Z

Here are two pics after using ARO

Here is a pic of the front after polishing with Einszett Metallic Polish.

Overall I am happy with the clean up because this is my daily driver.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont mean to down grade the power cone but i had it for a week and i used it on many kind of rims and it was not the greatest thing to use but it got the job done but then i order 2 of the ag biffer sticks and there amazing they have a longer stick to them to get deep in to the back of the rims and it goes into every place i put it one more thing is the bonnets u can aply metal and chrome waxes and take it off with it to to me the ag buffer stick is better=]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast