autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jelly Blade

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jelly Blade

Quote Originally Posted by nrengle View Post
    Interesting enough from the vid the wash that did the least damage is the swirl-o-matic HA!
    Yeah, it was not a very well put together experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

I would've liked to seen a 4th car that was done by the detailer only.

Post Thanks / Like

california water blade and california car duster in the garbage after i spent the time to polish my rigs.

haha, its crazy...they say the dirtier the car duster gets, the better it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Works good at removing H2O from glass prior to water spotting. I use it for glass all of the time if I'm not using a leaf blower (which I usually do).

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont be so quick to throw away your Jelly blades if for nothing else they are a quick way to take some water off the Glass. I personally use them from time to time. I make sure they are rinsed and clean before I use them and I do not believe I have ever scratched a finish using them on some 200 details. It is all about contamination. I never use only one clay bar on a vehicle. I use between 4 and 6 just to minimize scratching. I also use waffel weaves to dry all surfaces and often used 6 to 8 on a vehicle again to prevent and minimize debris contamination. I have vehicles that I have kept detailed using these methods that are 3 to four years old with 50 to 60 washes and they need NO paint correction. Extra care, Plenty of Micro Fiber Towels and never being rushed are just good practices. If I commit to doing a 4 hour job and the customer wants me to do it in two hours I simply say NO and explain I would rather apologize why I will not do it then apologize later as to why they have a SUB-STANDARD job. The later becomes your legacy, reputation and your businesses future.
    Last edited by BenzDetailer; 03-28-2009 at 08:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with removing water from windows and general home use as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Jelly Blade from AutoZone around 1 1/2 years ago, I liked it at first because it was so quick to dry the car, but surely enough, after about a month, I began to notice that my car had quite a few swirls on it (in the general direction that I used the blade in) that had never been there before, from now on, only microfiber touches my car.

But, as other people have already said, keep it for the windows, it works great to dry the windows off real quick (although I still don't use it on my front windshield).

Post Thanks / Like

I've used a water blade maybe 40 times now and haven't noticed any scratches. I always wash a car twice, though. Once lightly, to get the really big grit off, with overlapping motions, and complete rinse, and then a second time more aggressively, to get all of the fine stuff off and polish off some oxidation at the same time. It seems to me, if the car is completely clean, you can't scratch it with a water blade. In the video, with the amount of scratches they had, it seem like the car was definitely dirty when they dried it. A perfectly clean car is the foundation for everything that comes after. I find that a car always looks crisper after two washings. Perhaps I should use microfiber, but my experience with regular towels is that they soak up a lot of water and get soggy quickly, forcing me to wring them out about 5 times and it takes much longer. Has anyone else been as thorough as me in washing and still gotten scratches while using a water blade?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using a jelly blade for years on the car I've owned since new. I always rinse the blade off THOROUGHLY before using, then inspect it to make sure there is no grit. If you have washed and rinsed a panel thoroughly, and thereis no grit on the panel nor on the jelly blade...then guess what. There is NO grit...to scratch. Much greater chance of grit being in the larger surface area of a cloth than on the smaller surface area of the jelly blade

Post Thanks / Like

The blade makes a great Squeegy for the windshield, but I wouldn't use it for paint.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast