autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wool vs foam pads?

Does anyone know the difference between how wool pads and foam pads perform? What are the pros and cons to using one over the other? I don't really see manufacturers comparing the two so maybe theres a reason? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wool vs foam pads?

foam
    cons
    gets hotter= easier to burn paint
    harder to control= pad jumping and hoping all over
    does not cut as fast as wool

pros
    finishes better=less swirls if any
    holds polishes longer= quick spritz to pad and start working again

wool
    cons
    use more product
    having to spur them all the time cuts down on the life of them
    need to be very very very skilled to finish swirl free( it can be done)

pros
    does not get as hot as foam
    better control= does not jump like foam
    cuts faster( could be a pro and a con)

there are just what i have noticed. i am sure more people will chime in cause i know i am forgetting alot

Post Thanks / Like

Detailgod I think you covered most of the relevent points-

Foam Pad Type Pros & Cons:
    Foam pads absorb polishes quickly reducing polish and pad performance; because most of the polish is trapped below the working surface of the pad. Priming a foam pad with distilled water saves on product use by reducing polish absorbs ion and also avoids ‘dry’ polishing. Another reason for priming a foam pad for use with a rotary polisher is that it makes for a smoother polishing movement without causing the pad to ‘hop’ over the surface. Like foam a wool pads abrasive ability is closely tied to its composition i.e. ‘soft’ wool has less cut

How fast - the general rule is; the bigger the pad the faster the cut, the coarser the compound, the faster the cut, the more aggressive the pad, the faster the cut. Wool cuts faster than lambs wool, foamed wool is next and then foam. You pay the price for polishing too fast with swirl marks caused by the compound and pad combination.

Wool:
    Pro- faster cutting generates less heat and therefore leaves the surface cooler (use on aerodynamic parts, spoilers etc and plastic bumpers)
    Wool, dissipates heat through the fibres
    Removes heavy oxidation much more efficiently than a form pad
    Make certain to spur the wool fibres when it loads up with product.

Con- can leave micro marring (buffer trails)
    Use more polish than foam pads
    Don’t overwork the polish as wool will break diminishing abrasives faster than foam, the surface lubricants will dry up faster and you could end up dry buffing unless you’re careful.

Foam:
    Pro - gentle (non-aggressive) light to moderate cutting

Con - heat paint quickly by transmitting the heat back to the surface, but leaves the paint surface with a smooth finish ready for application of last step product (LSP) Wool is also much safer to use on heat sensitive parts of your car. Aerodynamic spoilers and bumpers can be buffed with wool with a higher margin of safety than foam.

General note-
    a) Cut with wool pads; finish with foam pads, foam produces the most surface friction heat

b) Limit speed on wool pads to 1500RPM

b) Compared to foam; wool pads have a larger available cutting surface area per square inch, which is due to the structure of the individual wool fibres compared to that of foam, allowing faster cutting action with less friction heat, utilizing less downward pressure

c) With a PC, a smaller pad (less surface area) will generate more ‘spot’ heat and is more aggressive, with a rotary, a larger pad's edges are moving much faster, so it has more cut (a PC at speed # 6 will transfer heat (up to 130 0 F) to the backing plate and may delaminate the Velcro™)

Post Thanks / Like

If you want the best of both worlds, do your cutting with a wool pad and finish with a foam pad. You can cut easier and quicker with wool and the hopping and heat generation is less with the softer foam pads that are used for finishing for a better finish then wool.

I am also a big fan of LC's foamed wool.
    What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about???

Post Thanks / Like

Also with wool it levels the paint better and this will in turn provide you with a better finish on the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, wool to cut and foam to finish, there are times when foam cutting pads are nice, like single stage paints.

Post Thanks / Like

wool is typically a cutting pad as noted as best left to rotary use. Foam pads are general pads and different abrasive levels from finishing to quite aggressive.