autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirka 3"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mirka 3"

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    That's the one
    Is that the plant where Elon came to work with you for a while when the Model 3 was having problems? Or was that somewhere else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Is that the plant where Elon came to work with you for a while when the Model 3 was having problems? Or was that somewhere else?
    Yes same plant

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for their cordless but I have the 5" RO corded and it's just as nimble and powerful as a 5" pneumatic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    OG is pushing this Mirka 3". He says it's the best polisher on earth. Now I know he is trying to sell them to a niche market, but still. It's $1200+... for a 3" polisher. Wow. I know money is all relative, everyone has their own guage, but this is steep, period.
    And coming from hand work, any machine will be better. How much better can this be than a little Flex or Rupes? And those 2 are on the high side already. I dunno, I think they will all get an equal positive result, this Mirka will just do it for a little more cash. Nice machine, but maybe more for a business?
    Firstly, the price of the Mirka in the OG store is $876 USD, almost double the Rupes HLR75. In AUD, it ends up being about $1370. So yes, ultra pricy.

I think the key point of difference is the ultra-smooth running, both in sound and feel. From what I have seen, the Mirka does not have the grindy bearing sound when winding up or down, it just purrs a gentle hum. (Skip to the 35 sec and 1.45 marks in the video below to hear the difference between the two.) It also has exceptional stall resistance. If you were using a machine all day every day, having a smooth-running machine is key to reducing fatigue and vibration related nerve damage.

I'll be clear in saying that this is not a machine for me, I just wouldn't use it enough to justify that price. And I already have two 3-inch machines. But for a pro, something like this would 100% be on my shopping list.

I dunno why y'all are obsessed with that guy, from what I can tell he's obsessed with separating people from their money, whether it's in his current career or his previous.
    Is that not what every single working human on the planet does? It's called a job.

In this case, he sells a product so that he can make money, in the process supporting his family, supporting his employees and allowing him to live a full life.

Personally, I sell my time and effort to make money for the same reasons above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    Is that not what every single working human on the planet does? It's called a job.

In this case, he sells a product so that he can make money, in the process supporting his family, supporting his employees and allowing him to live a full life.

Personally, I sell my time and effort to make money for the same reasons above.
    I'm sorry if I insulted you. Some of us know this guy before he had a store, when he was just a whiny you-tuber with more money than sense. There seems to be a coterie of people determined to bankroll him in that pursuit; I'm not one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a nice tool.
    Sounds like a dentist drill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    This is intended for a production environment where you will be spot correcting a large number of vehicles. At the place I work at there are members from the paint team who chase down paint defects in general assembly that escaped the paint department and they use this polisher for correction after wetsanding.

It is lightweight, quiet, and very smooth. Surprisingly it doesn't stall easily either.

For a dedicated 3" DA polisher this just might be the cream of the crop.
    I’ve read the same. Quieter, runs longer, less vibration…. Maybe if I used it daily it would be worth the investment.

Obsessed caters to Porsche owners. Expendable income… wants the best…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry if I insulted you. Some of us know this guy before he had a store, when he was just a whiny you-tuber with more money than sense. There seems to be a coterie of people determined to bankroll him in that pursuit; I'm not one of them.
    All good, no insults.

It's a touchy subject for me personally, although not necessarily OG related or specific. This is not directed at you, rather a theme I have noticed over many years. I learnt a long time ago to not question a person's worth or what they charge to make a living, because unless you are working for or with that person, you have no idea what goes into what they sell or the effort they put into their work.

For example, its common to complain about plumbers being expensive and that they are laughing all the way to the bank. And yet the amount they charge per hour is not what they take home, a lot of it pays for tools, running costs, admin fees........................and keep in mind, they are the one getting dirty unblocking your toilet.

Or, the extremely weather guy who once told me I was charging him too much mowing his huge lawn for $50 a week, telling me that what I do is "not rocket science". And yet, who calls me on a Sunday morning asking what to spray his roses with to kill the aphids? Apparently not the rocket scientist.

To me, as a product, the Mirka kind of speaks for itself. In fact, it's been around for far longer than OG have been selling it, it's rather that he picked it up and started to market the thing to detailers that we are now talking about it.

It's funny though, you mention Matt pre-OG store. Watching some of his earlier videos, there were a lot of uncredited people getting stuck into various on-camera detailing projects, basically doing work for free. This was before he was employing a lot of people. My question is, where are those people now? As you say, they helped build his empire in a volunteering role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I’ve read the same. Quieter, runs longer, less vibration…. Maybe if I used it daily it would be worth the investment.
    About vibration level:

* Mirka 3" Cordless Angled Random Orbit Polisher: Vibration Level: 4.3m/s²
    * Rupes HLR75 3 Axis Vibration Level: 2.5 M/S² , Uncertainty 1.2M/S²

Although I didn't check if those numbers were measured the same way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaced View Post
    About vibration level:

* Mirka 3" Cordless Angled Random Orbit Polisher: Vibration Level: 4.3m/s²
    * Rupes HLR75 3 Axis Vibration Level: 2.5 M/S² , Uncertainty 1.2M/S²

Although I didn't check if those numbers were measured the same way
    Not a scott HD fan but learned about the Mirka from him. It won out in his 3” cordless test if you take price out. Considering price the PiXiE won. One of the videos that help me decide to buy the Flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks vaced thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast