autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griots Garage Boss System Questions

Two questions I have on the Boss system are.
    1) How do these two machines perform on curved & valley portions of a vehicle?
    2) I have not seen any of their creams or pads to apply a cleaner wax product, so what is one to do for a cleaner wax application?
    Thanks.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Garage Boss System Questions

Simple answer would be to tell you that there's not a free wheeling DA that you cannot stall.

Depending on how you wish to look at it, this is both a disadvantage and an advantage.

A disadvantage in that paint correction essentially drops to zero when all the Plate-Pad is doing is jiggling rather than also rotating.

The advantage with such free wheeling DA's is that you are then less likely to get into trouble with paint marring-burning, or having a machine get caught in nooks and crannies as you might with a forced rotation DA or a Rotary Polisher.

I would say that either Boss Machine because of their size is not going to an optimal machine when it comes to smaller areas, smaller pieces on a vehicle, and that's where either another smaller machine, or say a GG6 or PC7424 will smaller Plates and Pads will hold an advantage.

With a Cleaner wax, I'm assuming you're talking about a product that contains Cleaners, but yet little to no abrasives, correct?

There's no harm-foul of using other chemical products with the Boss system, or Pads, just like any other maker's machine, Rupes, Flex, etc.

A soft Waxing Pad such as thin flat, or thinpro (red-blue-black) from Lake Country and a product such as Duragloss #501 would be excellent as a combo cleaner-protectant product. There's many more.

3. Thanks Hermes1 thanked for this post
    Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
    Two questions I have on the Boss system are.
    1) How do these two machines perform on curved & valley portions of a vehicle?
    2) I have not seen any of their creams or pads to apply a cleaner wax product, so what is one to do for a cleaner wax application?
    Thanks.
    Q1:
    I have the BOSS system, so... For curved areas, GG has an interflex pad. A spacer that goes between the backing plate and pad. It works... but can be a PIA sometimes. Overtime you'll learn techniques and tricks that will allow you to polish w/out the need for the spacer or smaller DA's.

It's never a bad idea to have a second (or even 3rd) DA on hand, therefore having a PC 7424 w/ a 3" or 4" backing plate for tight areas may advantageous until you get the hang of the larger DA.

Q2:
    The BOSS Creams are amazing and there is a little known secret about BOSS Finishing Sealant. It's an AIO! And it works very well.

Hope this helps.

5. Thanks Hermes1 thanked for this post
    Likes Hermes1, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tough question to answer If your technique is on point, you should be able to maneuver the polisher in those areas without much stalling. You will need to use a 3" polisher for sure.

The BOSS AIO is too hard to remove, generally speaking. Blackfire One Step is a superior product, IMO.
    '03 Corvette Z06

7. Thanks Hermes1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike P says to use polishing pads with cleaner waxed/AIOs.

I tend to go a little more aggressive trying to get more cut, but then you have more of a chance of leaving a haze from the pad.

The yellow pad would be the polishing one from the BOSS line up, the orange may work depending on your paint.

I’ve used the BOSS microfiber ones with an AIO and have had good results. Possibly harder paint though.

If your paint was in great shape, you could do a jeweling wax with the black pad.

9. Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it's not so much getting the hang of a larger machine to finesse smaller areas, or parts, let's say A and B Pillars, Mirrors, License Plate Coves, Bumpers, dips and valleys, Spoliers, Headlights, Louvers, etc etc.

But that it's more like you're trying to use a Sledge Hammer to pound in small Finishing Nails, that it's not the optimal or the correct tool for the job at hand.

These larger tools with big pads will virtually rip the side view mirrors off of doors with shake and vibration, and you aren't going to be effective with A-B Pillars, or other areas of a vehicle I mention above.

Although I have the Boss-15, I also have the PC with a slew of various size backing plates and the baby 3" Griots with both 3" and 2" Backing Plates and respective proper pads for all of them.

As I always have said, "when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything then looks like a nail".

Post Thanks / Like

I use the BOSS system pretty much exclusively. I use all Griots DA's, and yes you can get them to stall on concave surfaces. I run a G6 with the 3" HD plate or sometimes my G21 with the inter-flex pad as long as the curves are not to deep. It's a technique you have to get a feel for. I think Kevin Brown wrote somthing along the lines of imagining you are sculpting the shape out of clay and the DA is you tool, using it at different angles to get the most pad contact without gouging it into the surface creating stalling.

As far as a "cleaner-wax" ....the Finishing Sealant with an MF pad cuts and does finish nicely, an Orange pad would be less aggressive and may be needed on softer paints to prevent hazing. The Griot's Complete Polish or One Step Sealant would be a step down in agressiveness and still work along the lines of a cleaner-wax.

Here is some info from Griot's site about all their BOSS creams and compounds...

https://www.griotsgarage.com/categor...sh+compound.do

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

^I forgot they have that chart too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Thanks Hermes1 thanked for this post
    Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post

The BOSS Creams are amazing and there is a little known secret about BOSS Finishing Sealant. It's an AIO! And it works very well.
    Totally agree. ALL of the BOSS creams are amazing. I get the Fast Correcting Cream to finish down so nicely, it's not even funny.

15. Thanks Hermes1 thanked for this post
    Likes VitreousHumor, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    Totally agree. ALL of the BOSS creams are amazing. I get the Fast Correcting Cream to finish down so nicely, it's not even funny.
    I find the same thing, Chris. I did my cousin's hood (dark blue) on his F-350 w/ FCC. I had CC, Speed, and a few others with me. After finishing out w the FCC, both he and I agreed we could go straight to LSP.

He's not really into detailing, but even he mentioned "That stuff is friggin amazing".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

17. Likes Hermes1, WaxMaster1 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast