autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which MF towels should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by h8dirtycars View Post
    Slapjack,

I get a lot of towels from TRC, and some from AG. I try to buy when on sale and have an assortment of different towels. I have only been doing this for a little over a year, and have already spent a ton of money on detailing supplies, and am only a hobby detailer. You learn a lot from this forum, but it's very easy to spend a lot to get where you're comfortable with the towels you need.

One of the best pieces of advice for me so far is when I was reading a thread where Mike Phillips said to buy wash mitts buy the ton. Whenever you place an order when there's a sale, buy a wash mitt. I have a lot and think you can't have to many. As far as towels go, there are so many different kinds that you have to experiment and see what works for you. I have found that besides AG, Larry Kosilla who has a great YouTube channel and his own line of products, which I can't mention here because AG doesn't sell them has great advice on microfiber towels in one of his videos. That being said, I think it's best to buy different towels when there are sales to see what you like best.
    Alot of people here have the same story. Ive spent probably close to 10 grand in the past 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree wholeheartedly on the edgeless. Have a lot myself, and just received my latest yesterday!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    The PFM is hands down the most absorbent drying towel I have ever used. Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have other towels in your collection IMO.
    I currently have Microfiber Madness DMC, PFM’s (big and small), Big Blue from AG, Gyeon silk (big and small), Twistress, Dry me a River, Cobra Guzzlers amongst others.
    I buy a lot of towels from TRC and they are very high quality and last with proper care.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting those pics.

Brought my wife into the room, and said "SEE?? Now THIS guy has the problem, not ME."

Lol.

Very nice arsenal of product, fly.
    I as well would like to thank you for posting the pics; I feel much better about my mere 6 bins of towels!

4. Likes fly07sti, fightnews liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@BudgetPlan1 : Ha Ha, only 6 bins? I’m just glad I can share my “addiction” with people that can appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sitting in my office waiting for my next patient and just saw this last page, the pic from 'fly' is awesome... I chuckled out loud and my eyes opened like a kid just seeing gravity getting defied for the first time... good work with the towels and as Paul said, "See, honey, it could be worse"... lol...

7. Likes fly07sti, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by h8dirtycars View Post
    Slapjack,

I get a lot of towels from TRC, and some from AG. I try to buy when on sale and have an assortment of different towels. I have only been doing this for a little over a year, and have already spent a ton of money on detailing supplies, and am only a hobby detailer. You learn a lot from this forum, but it's very easy to spend a lot to get where you're comfortable with the towels you need.

One of the best pieces of advice for me so far is when I was reading a thread where Mike Phillips said to buy wash mitts buy the ton. Whenever you place an order when there's a sale, buy a wash mitt. I have a lot and think you can't have to many. As far as towels go, there are so many different kinds that you have to experiment and see what works for you. I have found that besides AG, Larry Kosilla who has a great YouTube channel and his own line of products, which I can't mention here because AG doesn't sell them has great advice on microfiber towels in one of his videos. That being said, I think it's best to buy different towels when there are sales to see what you like best.
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to start off with some edgeless 300 for wax and sealant removal, 245’s for interior, a couple eagle edgeless 500 for final buff some 16x24 waffle weaves for windows and the GG pfm for drying. That will get me started at least and then I can start buying some more at my convenience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Really depends on the type of towel that’s being washed. But for example if I’m washing Eagles, a large load with 2oz of Towel Kleen would be about 30 or so towels. 4oz white vinegar in first rinse cycle.
    How would I wash towels if I’m only doing a few at a time like maybe 6-10? Maybe like 1 oz and setting at normal load with hot water, 2 rinses and dry on low? Just wondering cause when I first get them u wash before use right? So I’ll only do like colors together and I’m starting off with 6-10 if eagle style. After the first wash I should be able to wash them together right and they won’t bleed? Assuming that I’m talking about trc brand towels

What about the pfm drying towel? Probably only need to wash that every few times of use? Should that be washed alone and hang dried? Deff want some advice in that one cause I don’t want to ruin a $40 towel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slapjack View Post
    How would I wash towels if I’m only doing a few at a time like maybe 6-10? Maybe like 1 oz and setting at normal load with hot water, 2 rinses and dry on low? Just wondering cause when I first get them u wash before use right? So I’ll only do like colors together and I’m starting off with 6-10 if eagle style. After the first wash I should be able to wash them together right and they won’t bleed? Assuming that I’m talking about trc brand towels

What about the pfm drying towel? Probably only need to wash that every few times of use? Should that be washed alone and hang dried? Deff want some advice in that one cause I don’t want to ruin a $40 towel
    i use warm water with 2 ounces of microfiber detergent with an extra rinse cycle, and then dry (make sure the lint trap is clean) on the lowest heat setting with no dryer sheet. no need to over complicate the process...

11. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slapjack View Post

I don't know if you bought the microfiber wash detergent yet, but I followed Kosilla's video, and just use a regular detergent without fragrance or fabric softener. I wash them before I use them in warm water, and after they're used wash in the hot/cold regular cycle with enough detergent for the amount of towels I'm washing. I use regular Tide. I then dry them at the lowest heat setting at the minimal amount of time it takes for them to dry. I wash my wash mitts the same way.

Now I know I'm probably the least experienced member of this forum that's chiming in with advice, but I've done numerous Quick details, WW's and RW's this winter and from what I can see on the inspections of my car, I haven't caused any bad swirling or scratches with my towels. if you haven't spent money on a dedicated microfiber detergent yet, I would advice to use that money on additional towels.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and I have three small PFM and one large and wash them the same way.

I will tell you not to disregard the Guzzlers for drying as well. They work pretty damn well. I like the smaller ones as they're a little more manageable when drying.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast