autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Looking for a new polisheer

Welcome to AGO!

Hope you don't mind but I edited your post above and broke the huge chunk of text into smaller paragraphs to make it easier for me and everyone else to read.

No one like to read huge block of text, it's too hard on the eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannymannyfresh View Post

All the machine polishing I've ever done has been with a Porter Cable. It was a good starting point for me to learn how to polish and do paint correction. But now I feel like it doesn't have the HP in the motor to make the correction process go a little faster.

So I'm looking for a machine what would be a step up.

I have thought about getting a flex or a Rupes but I don't detail everyday to justify spending the money on one.
    Get the Griot's Garage 6" DA polisher. Do like I recommend in this article and get a 5" backing plate and stick with 5.5" pads.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

I been looking at the Torq 10fx advertised by Chemical Guys , or the Meguiar's MT300

The Griot's has as much or more power than both of the above. All three of these tools, the MT300, the Torq 10FX and the Griot's are all "versions" of the Porter Cable. They all have a 8mm stroke length and are free spinning tools. Out of the 4 tools, the Griot's has the most power or the most ability to maintain pad rotation under pressure which is the key to doing fast correction work with these types of tools.

The next step up in tools with POWER to do correction work faster would be gear-driven tools. This would be the

FLEX 3401
    Makita PO5000C

and in the future, the new RUPES gear-driven orbital polisher, not sure when it will start shipping.

Mike Phillips

When you start going down the road towards a $400.00 polisher, read this first... I suggest read and not scan...

FLEX 3401 or RUPES? - A question I get asked a lot! -Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Ugh....

Just saw that you created TWO identical threads in different forums.

I read that this was your first post... not sure if that also means you're brand new to "forums".

Regardless.... proper forum netiquette is to only start ONE THREAD per TOPIC.

Creating identical threads in multiple forums creates confusion.

Hang tight while I merge your two threads. Then you'll see your two posts, the one I edited to put in some white space to make it easier to read and the original way you typed it.

Thanks for understanding.

Mike Phillips

Looking for a new polisher

hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I wanted to get some feedback on machine polishers.

All the machine polishing I've ever done has been with a Porter Cable. It was a good starting point for me to learn how to polish and do paint correction. But now I feel like it doesn't have the HP in the motor to make the correction process go a little faster.

So I'm looking for a machine what would be a step up.

I have thought about getting a flex or a Rupes but I don't detail everyday to justify spending the money on one.

I just work on my cars, family cars and a few side jobs that pop up. But I still want to get something that's all little more semi-pro if you know what i mean.

I been looking at the Torq 10fx advertised by Chemical Guys , or the Meguiar's MT300.

Just from looking at them online they both look like solid machines that might be a step up from what I have now.

Just wanted to see if you guys had any input on either of these machines or had any other options I have looked at.

hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I wanted to get some feedback on machine polishers. All the machine polishing I've ever done has been with a Porter Cable. It was a good starting point for me to learn how to polish and do paint correction. But now I feel like it doesn't have the HP in the motor to make the correction process go a little faster. So I'm looking for a machine what would be a step up. I have thought about getting a flex or a Rupes but I don't detail everyday to justify spending the money on one. I just work on my cars, family cars and a few side jobs that pop up. But I still want to get something that's all little more semi-pro if you know what i mean. I been looking at the Torq 10fx advertised by Chemical Guys , or the Meguiar's MT300. Just from looking at them online they both look like solid machines that might be a step up from what I have now. Just wanted to see if you guys had any input on either of these machines or had any other options I have looked at.

There we go... your two threads are now merged into one.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes, forgot about the griots 6" polisher. I have one too. Switched out the backing plate for 5" and it really does a great job!

And it is a powerful tool for $150 bucks! can't beat that...plus a lifetime warranty too.

When it starts to stall on you---may need to turn up the dial a hair more to overcome the stalling. Or get the thin pro pads. It will rotate much easier with these pads.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

there are many threads on this topic, here's one and post #5 in the thread below...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...pgrade-pc.html

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, WELCOME Mannymannyfresh!

I have bowed out of any threads asking these questions because it all depends on what YOU will like using over time. I love my Flex 3401 but will never be the one who adamantly disagrees with any Rupes/BOSS/Makita/etc.etc. users trying to convince them mine is the better machine. Never...ever. It comes down to a comfort level each and every detailer has with their chosen weapon of choice. Because of that, I have a suggestion...

I see you're in Orlando. If you can possibly find the time I would suggest you run down to Stuart and visit AutoGeek and touch, feel and maybe even use each of the machines on your list. There is nothing better than getting your hands on each machine and finding which one meets your comfort level. The folks at AG are the nicest, most welcoming group of folks anywhere and have a sincere and genuine interest in matching you with what may make you happiest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.