autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Small polisher and pad?

I am looking for a small form factor polisher and prefer not air powered. Trying to polish areas that I can't get my current polisher into, like around mirrors and polish corner of windows and not overlap body panels. Is there an electric polisher that supports about a 2" pad. I was going to investigate a dremel.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small polisher and pad?

Rupes makes the Nano...it's pretty amazing and battery powered. Or you can plug it in. AG sells it with a kit.

Post Thanks / Like

The Nano kit is pretty expensive, but does great work (1" and 2" pads and polishes and compound).

You can get 1" and 2" backing plates that fit on drill bits and use with a flexible shaft.

Or you can do by hand (you can get good results if patient).

A dremel spins way too fast 30,000 + rpm-it will burn the paint in seconds.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

The other alternatives are the Griot's Garage 3" DA, and the Flex PE8 rotary. The Griot's Garage 3" (GG3 going forward) is sometimes criticized for lacking power, but reports are saying it it much better with the Thinpro/LowPro pads. The Flex PE8 is a rotary, which is a problem for some. It does go down to about 1200 RPM, which while sounding high, is not really due to the pad sizes being 3" maximum. In addition the Flex PE8 can use shaft extensions to get into some very tight areas, along with pads down to 1" (Flex themselves make the backing plates to go down to 1").

Post Thanks / Like

I outfit my Hitachi rotary with the Flex mini BP's and pads for exactly what you ask about. They also work good on headlights. I also have 2 - 1" extensions to give me either 1" or 2" extended clearances.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for responses. The Rupes Nano looks ideal but WAY to expensive. GG 3" and Flex PE8 looks to big for some of the work I want to do. The drill attachment and flexible shaft looks promising. Where can I find a 2" backing plate that can be attached to drill?

Post Thanks / Like

if you have compressed air, I highly recommend a central pneumatic pistol grip 3" rotary polisher. They are reliable, powerful, and perfect for hard to reach areas and headlights. Also, the new boss micro-rotary is incredible and can be equipped with both a 3" and 2" backing plate but a right angle polisher doesn't work as well as a pistol grip does when it comes to headlights IME