autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: 100% Cotton Towel Inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by sawacs View Post

The product I use for wiping polish off recommends I use a 100% cotton towel to buff the product off.

Most companies that sell car detailing supplies or are seen as experts in this field also tell everyone when washing a car,

Start at the top and work your way down

I'd day the people that write this kind of expertise don't wash a lot of car or are not paint focused.

Just a guess....

Post Thanks / Like

100% Cotton Towel Inquiry

Since your old field crest or cannon made is USA towels are worn lol. With the edges cut off. Ahh I remember those days.

Anyways since they are worn out buy a pack or two of the PFM by Griot's and see how you like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jowillie View Post

There are still some manufacturers (none sold here) that say use cotton towels instead of microfiber as they say the microfiber may remove too much of the product.

There is some truth to this.

When I worked for Meguiar's I was in charge of all the writing for the Velocity line products.

These were a line of product for manufacturing where molds are used to create parts, for example a boat or a kitchen sink made out of fiberglas.

When writing the label directions, Application Bulletins and even the Flow Chart, I was instructed by R&D to list 100% cotton and not microfiber because microfiber does too good of a job REMOVING and when the goal is to leave behind a layer of release agent on the surface you don't want to work against your self by removing it when wiping off the excess.

That said, generally speaking microfiber or miniaturized polyester and nylon fibers are more gentle to scratch-sensitive clearcoats paints as compared to the more stout cotton fibers that normally make up most cotton terrycloth towels.

Cotton terrycloth towels are good for wiping off old school caveman compounds because of the stoutness of the fibers but most quality compounds on the market today wipe of a LOT easier than the old archic compounds of yesteryear making cotton towels less functional for paint polishing work in the present.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post

Since your old field crest or cannon made is USA towels are worn lol. With the edges cut off. Ahh I remember those days.
    Me too. I use to have a huge collection of cotton terrycloth towels as I would get them from the lost and found at the pool where I worked out. (good friends with the pool maintenance guy). This would be the Albany Community Pool and in the boiler room there was a mountain of towels that were left by kids that came to swim there. I would go through the pile and pick out the softest towels and then cut off the edges and then cut them into smaller towels.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post

Anyways since they are worn out buy a pack or two of the PFM by Griot's and see how you like them.

The Griot's PFM is very close to feel and performance of cotton terry cloth.

In fact, one of the things I did in my review of these towels was to share a little information on the topic of stout or stoutness.

Review: Griot's Garage PFM or Pure Freakin Magic Wax Removal Towel!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Here's my best effort at getting a SIDE shot of the nap of the PFM towels, here you can make out the loops of fiber.

The Stoutness Factor

The feel of the towels to my hand are soft but the loops offer a level of stoutness you simply don't find in microfiber towels. The word stout means thick and strong and that's the feature I like about the nap of these Griot's PFM towels. Sometimes you want a towel that's soft as silk but other times you want a towel that is stout.

When it comes to wiping off compounds I like a stout towel. In the past the only stout towels available were normal, household hand towels made out of cotton terrycloth. The stoutness these types of towels offer help you to wipe off compound residue faster and easier than if you were to use your finest and softest towel reserved for the final wipe after removing the majority of a coat of wax just applied to a car's finish. The issue with cotton terrycloth is it's not as gentle to delicate, scratch-sensitive surfaces like modern clearcoat paints. That's where this new Griot's PFM Towel really shines. It's stout enough to make wiping compounds and polishes off fast and easy without leaving toweling marks like old cotton towels.

As soon as I felt the stoutness of this new microfiber towel I instantly knew it was the towel I've been searching for all these years for use when restoring antique single stage paint using the #7 Rub Down Technique. More to come on this perfect match-up in the future.

The Wax Factor
    So while I like this towel for the stoutness factor Griot's claims its intended use if for removing waxes, sealants, spray waxes and spray detailers. Towels for these steps need to be very soft so as not to induce any toweling scratches as these step are normally performed to perfect paint. While the towels have a heavier weight to them than most super plush microfiber towels you would normally associate with wiping off waxes these towels are microfiber and the characteristic about microfiber (as compared to what we used to use in the old day, terrycloth, teeshirts and diapers), is that it's strong but gentle to scratch-sensitive surfaces.

The Wipe-off Factor
    Another benefit touted by Griot's for this new towel is the one-pass wipe-off ability it offers. That is, supposedly you can make one pass with one side and this one pass will have removed the majority of the wax so that you can simply flip the towel to the other side to make the final wipe leaving a residue free surface. I pretty much already trusted and believed this to be true about this towel without even using it BECAUSE that's the characteristic of a true nap. The word nap means tiny loop of material. Again in the old days it meant cotton terrycloth. Just look closely at a bath towel or a beach towel sometime and you'll see the surface is made up of tiny loops of cotton. These new Griot's towels offers a true nap, that is tiny loops of microfiber with both stoutness and softness at the same time.

What can tiny loops of microfiber do for you?

I know some of you are reading this and wondering,

What's the big deal about the nap or the tiny [closed] loops of microfiber?

Well here's the big deal..

The loops (unlike open ended fiber strands), with their stoutness, when pushed against a layer of wax or any film residue, will SLICE into the film breaking it up and making it easier (and safer) to wipe-off.

That's what the big deal is and the cool feature to these Griot's PFM towels. Of course, all of the above is just talk what's really important is the real deal and that means waxing a car and then removing the wax.

Half my work on the forum is simply remembering what I've written and then locating it...

Guess I should go share the above on FB today...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sawacs View Post
    I use a 100% cotton towel to buff...
    I need new towels.
    Big Ass Towels sells made in
    the USA 100% Cotton Towels.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Whatever happened to the guy behind the DF towels? He used to have a website and promote microfiber cotton towels.
    I don't know, Mike, he (Leo) stiffed a bunch of us over on the other forum...we'd order stuff and never get it and would have to send a bunch of progressively nastier emails to get anything (after our credit cards were charged as soon as the order was placed). He had a bunch of excuses that never made any sense (and only served to irritate the stiffed customers further). I'm not sure what happened, but his show cars were for sale at one point. His website is still up even years later, but it doesn't work for buying anything. Perhaps he had some health issues, or financial issues (which sometimes follow from the health issues).

He was a great resource of textile knowledge when he used to post on the other forum, but he lost some of his "100% Cotton" credibility when he started to also sell a line of (polyester/polyamide)microfiber towels on his website.

When writing the label directions, Application Bulletins and even the Flow Chart, I was instructed by R&D to list 100% cotton and not microfiber because microfiber does too good of a job REMOVING and when the goal is to leave behind a layer of release agent on the surface you don't want to work against your self by removing it when wiping off the excess.
    Wow, interesting.

Me too. I use to have a huge collection of cotton terrycloth towels as I would get them from the lost and found at the pool where I worked out. (good friends with the pool maintenance guy). This would be the Albany Community Pool and in the boiler room there was a mountain of towels that were left by kids that came to swim there. I would go through the pile and pick out the softest towels and then cut off the edges and then cut them into smaller towels.
    Ha! Great story.

Post Thanks / Like

Most companies that sell car detailing supplies or are seen as experts in this field also tell everyone when washing a car,

Start at the top and work your way down

I'd day the people that write this kind of expertise don't wash a lot of car or are not paint focused.

Just a guess....

Mike

I'm confused. Can you explain what you mean by this? Are you saying that's NOT the proper way to wash a car? That's exactly the way I've been washing cars since 1982. Has something changed?

In terms of the original post - some GMC interiors can get streaky if you don't wipe off the excess protectant w a cotton towel (ask me how I know) but I wouldn't ever use them on paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for the information/advice. It is very hard to change the methods I have used especially every time I look at my 16 year old Camaro and the condition the paint is in.

After a good washing and Z-2 application, the paint looks like it was just sprayed on and still wet.

Cheers!

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused? so you found 100% cotton towels? was it your towels or the z-2 that did the trick or what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 02special View Post
    I'm confused? so you found 100% cotton towels? was it your towels or the z-2 that did the trick or what?
    My apology for the confusion.. I was referencing my choice to use 100% cotton towels with Z-2 polish vs using a microfiber towel to wipe polish off: I should have typed my comment in a clearer manner. If you are using microfiber towels to wipe your polish/wax of choice from the paint and it is working for you, there is no reason to go running out trying to find cotton towels

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12