autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BOSS 21 or Rupes 21 MkII

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    years ago when i talked to someone at megs about their G100 (rebadged 7424 which i own) they said they would get tons of those back on warranty issues. while porter cable came out with the traditional PC-style DA first, compared to the other options that are out there are much better choices, they need to get with the times and pay attention (evolve) to what's going on...
    Dunno. I think the 7424 was a very reliable machine. In fact - I bought mine in around 2005 or 2006 (before XP); - and I just used it last night to polish some headlights.

Still works as good as new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RPM_BR View Post
    No Sir, my female Akita, almost nine yrs. old now, called Milky. It is kinda rare, since she's all white.
    I'm a big fan of Akitas, silent, loyal, trusty dogs, and good with kids.
    the akita (japan) and jindo (korea) seem to be similiar in some ways, for one very loyal to it's owner no doubt about it. here's an amazing/heartwarming story on the jindo (click twice). hope you have many more years with her, she's beautiful!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    u get cars done a lot faster with six inch pads
    7" pads*

Quote Originally Posted by RPM_BR View Post
    Indeed, it cuts a lot more. But when I need more cut than 21mm on 7in pads, I grab a rotary

But, imho, I would stick with what Rupes engineers designed the machine for, 21mm for 6in BP and 15mm for 5in BP. Best regards.
    Rupes MKll has its own set of rules, but as far as the Griots Boss 21, I believe I've heard official word stating that the cut is the same [all things being equal, i.e. type of pads, compound] whether you use the 5" Boss backing plate or the 6". The only way to gain extra advantage is by using the provided washer mod.

BTW I used to have the same exact mentality as OP when I 1st purchased my G21, I bought a 5" backing plate on day 1, but the more I got a chance to use the polisher as originally intended [with the 6" backing plate and 6.5-7" pads] the more I began to feel like I was finally seeing the polishers true potential in everyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    7" pads*

Rupes MKll has its own set of rules, but as far as the Griots Boss 21, I believe I've heard official word stating that the cut is the same [all things being equal, i.e. type of pads, compound] whether you use the 5" Boss backing plate or the 6". The only way to gain extra advantage is by using the provided washer mod.

BTW I used to have the same exact mentality as OP when I 1st purchased my G21, I bought a 5" backing plate on day 1, but the more I got a chance to use the polisher as originally intended [with the 6" backing plate and 6.5-7" pads] the more I began to feel like I was finally seeing the polishers true potential in everyway.

Actually Jeff Brown states on Boss overview video on youtube that if you want to be even more agressive with 21, then use 5 pads:

https://youtu.be/FtpgZV9vL1A?t=592

Post Thanks / Like

The BOSS polishers use better bearings than the MK II Rupes.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: BOSS 21 or Rupes 21 MkII

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    The BOSS polishers use better bearings than the MK II Rupes.
    Interesting discussion guys. Actually, the Rupes and THE BOSS both employ NSK Bearings. The quality should be equivalent to one another.

As for Pad size, something to ponder....

Buffing pads impact performance like a tire on a race car
    5” system vs. 6" system

From a high level...

Pad size will have an affect on the following:
    • Energy Transfer - the efficiency of the transfer of orbital>>rotational energy from motor>>counterbalance>>backing plate>>Paint (This is more impacted by pad thickness and firmness)
    • Surface area a 6.5" pad is 40% difference larger than a 5.5" pad. Benefits to 6.5" pad- less passes to cover your work zone. However, technically the passes aren't as efficient as a 5.5" pad (higher rotation)
    • Surface Tension smaller the pad, the lower the surface tension, the higher the pad rotation (all things being equal- speed, downward pressure, pad selection) The reduction in tension or surface resistance will allow the pad to spin more freely, increasing speed correction
    • Pounds per square inch (Tool weight and User downward pressure) a 6.5" pads distribute the pressure more evenly across the paint surface. This in some ways can reduce correction due.

Then there is the contradiction- due to rotation, the larger pad will have increased cutting ability on the outside diameter. It'd be like comparing using a 3" Wool pad on a rotary (Not much cut) vs a 10" Wool pad (cuts like gangbusters)

Benefits to smaller pads-

• Maneuverability & Control - smaller the pad, the more precise you’ll be
    • Speed of correction can be increased depending on your tool of choice and technique

At the end of the day, we're all blessed with so many options. Use what works for you.
    I personally do 65% of my paint correction with a 5" Long-Throw Orbital (THE BOSS), 15% Rotary and 20% with other.

As for wax and sealant application, I'd never recommend using a long-throw orbital for application. You'll always get a more even application of the film forming polymers via a 8mm orbital. Ever notice circular tracking of your favorite sealant following wipe off. The long-throw hyper cures the polymer creating circular highs and lows.

Have fun in your garage!

Jeff
    Jeff from Griot's Garage- Product Developer
    Car Care for the Perfectionist

Post Thanks / Like

@Brownie. Thanks for the detailed information.BOSS 21 or Rupes 21 MkII

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post

At the end of the day, we're all blessed with so many options. Use what works for you.
    I personally do 65% of my paint correction with a 5" Long-Throw Orbital (THE BOSS), 15% Rotary and 20% with other.
    Dear Jeff
    The 65% you mentioned, you use the G21 or the G15 with 5BP?
    By the way, I'm drooling over the G15.
    Best regards, and thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

I find thicker pads like Rupes rotate and contour better than thinner pads like the BOSS pads on long throw polishers.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

The G15 is my first long throw polisher and I love it!
    Reason why I chose griots over the rupes is ...
    1.price
    2.warranty
    3. Customer support - Jeff goes above and beyond to help and answer all your questions.
    4. Comfort. Feels great in my hands! The trigger,lock button,the clicking in the speed control button is soooo good!8

If I was doing this for a living I would get the G21 as qell

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast