autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Work/Mechanic Light

I have a 13W fluorescent drop light that I've been using for a long time, but I've stepped on the cord too many times, pulling the plug/transformer out of the wall, and the transformer housing, which has been cracked, finally broke open, so I think it's time for a new light.

I kind of presumed that it would be LED, and I even have a Black & Decker rechargeable LED light, which is pretty good, but not as good as my old fluorescent. I've been looking at the river place, HD, Griot's Garage, Eastwood, HF...and a lot of the reviews for LED lights say "not as bright as..." Also some of the rechargeable/cordless ones will only run off the battery, meaning you can't run them off the cord if you forget to charge them or deplete the battery.

I also notice that some of them only have 6' cords...really? Does anybody ever use a drop light that close to an outlet? I know if I'm a hundred feet away I'll need an extension cord, but I want to have at least a 12' or 15' cord on the light. Also, I have to say, some of the hooks/hangers on these lights look like they were designed by someone that never used a drop light.

My top contender right now is a 26W corded fluorescent that can be run at half or full power, although Griot's has a slim rechargeable LED that looks pretty good, has a dial brightness adjustment...it's a little pricey and I'm still waiting to hear if you can run it off the cord.

What are you guys using?

Oh, PS, I know AutoGeek sells that Claw LED light but that's too big for working under the car, brakes, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Work/Mechanic Light

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I have a...drop light that I've been
    using for a long time...

What are you guys using?
    I've been using this drop-cord
    work-light of mine for eons:

Just to note:
    I've purchased enough drop-cord replacement
    incandescent bulbs to last the rest of my life...
    and that's also enough to get the Wife's next
    handyman a-leg-up on his household duties.

I'm kinda thoughtful like that.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Er...thanks Bob, but I'll stick to a fluorescent or LED, those incandescent ones get too hot--especially with that metal housing.

Have you ever tried the shock resistant bulbs? They still go out, but a lot more difficult to break the filament...although I guess you could screw an LED bulb into one of those old-school lights...but it still wouldn't be slim to get into tight spaces.

Post Thanks / Like

First...I'd have to get slim again,
    before I could get in those tight
    places to take a look.

Secondly...I no longer have faith
    in pipe-dreams.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I've spent a few dollars on trying different lights over the years, so I may be able to help. Work/Mechanic Light-imageuploadedbyagonline1472228498-585915-jpg

I fix cars for a living, so I've never felt bad making sure I can see where I'm working. One that I use quite a bit for sticking in tight spaces (Trans tunnels, etc) is the red oval Snap On one on the right. I think it was $75ish though? Rated at 250 lumens, but has been enough for what I needed it for. Only a magnetic base though, so that can present a challenge.
    I'll shoot you a PM with a different option a coworker has had good luck with that could work well for what you're doing. (Hopefully I'm not breaking forum rules already?)

John

Post Thanks / Like

Or not- your inbox is full.

Post Thanks / Like

I went with this Bayco light:

Pros:

Same bulb as my previous light--so expected brightness
    25' cord--no more needing an extension cord in my garage
    Integral electronic ballast--no transformer box
    Plastic hooks--not the spindly metal ones with rubber tips that would fall off like on some others I looked at
    Reasonable price--about 18 bucks

Cons:

Black--harder to see if it's dirty (yellow version only had a 6' cord)
    Handle is a little thick to hold comfortably

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I'm late - meant to get this posted sooner. No loss though as I think it has a few cons - more than you were looking to spend, a little awkward to use plugged in to power (a/c adapter + extension cord), and it's just a different form factor from what you were using (so there's the chance you might not like the light pattern/etc).

The one I was going to recommend was an ATD Saber 80377
    Work/Mechanic Light-imageuploadedbyagonline1472726688-378320-jpg
    Next time you're in the market check out the Saber line. I think they have a bunch of interesting lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll look at them, I had seen some other lights with the magnetic hooks--which honestly seems like the stupidest thing ever, I can see you on the lift and go to unhook your light and the magnet pulls off instead, and having to reach up wherever to try and get the hook back.

The 13W CFL's (in my broken lamp and the new one I bought) put out about 810 lumens, which is in the ballpark of the 700 lumens on that ATD light...I did find out that Griot's (rechargeable) light for $60 can also run off the cord, but it's only 410 lumens and it has a closed hook on the end, which is great for hanging on a nail or a pegboard hook, but I've never seen a wheel well with a nail for hanging a drop light.