autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New to all this and have a few questions lol

Hey am new to this site and new to detailing, so I have a few questions
    First I love waxing my car after a great car wash but since I do everything by hand it gets a little tiring . So I would like to know what buffers do you guys recommend for a beginner so I won't damage my paint but will still make the car looking nice
    what I want to do is wash car, clay car, use CG VSS, than CG blacklight fallow by CG black wax.... what do you guys think? Want to use same buffer for vss and wax
    I have a Black 2016 Honda Accord

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to all this and have a few questions lol

Welcome to AGO! You will learn quite a bit from this site. 1st off, I no longer wax by hand. I only wax by hand on the hard to reach areas that a DA can't go to. There are going to be a lot of opinions on what to get for a good starters kit. IMO there are 2 DA's that I think are a great choice.

1. PC7424XP is a great starter kit. I have one and still use it today. I have moved up to the Flex 3401 as my go-to DA and it is a beast. My PC is now used for smaller corrections and waxing with a 3 - 4 inch pad. I can go all the way down to 1" pads but IMO that is over kill. I have them available.

2. The Griot's Garage 6"DA. This one appears to be the better choice than the PC because it is more powerful and comes with a lifetime warranty. Additionally, there are a plethora amount of adapters, backing plates and pads for that machine. BTW, they are the same parts that will fit the PC7424XP too. I have never used a GG6 so I cannot really give a comment on it. But based on what I read from this forum, the GG6 seems the way to go.

Either one you decide to choose or a completely different brand....you will find that you NEED a DA in your arsenal PERIOD!! Look at many of the posts available or ask anyone at AGO and they will help you out!

Take care and again, welcome to AGO!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

^ I agree. Griots 6"DA is a great choice for someone new to the sport. The PC7424XP i9s also very popular and many folks started on it as I did. Now it serves me as a dedicated 3" polisher. You will ultimately own several as you expand your equipment.

Hang out hear, do some searches and welcome aboard.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the GG6 when I was just starting out. It is a great machine, I am very happy with it. I have now started to detail part time, and still use the machine as my go to, and still am very happy.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys thanks a lot for all the tips!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the GG6 is by far the best DA to start out with. Equipped with a 5" backing plate for 5.5" pads and a 3.5" backing plate for 4" pads it has the torque to safely handle anything you can throw at it and it has a lifetime warranty. 5.5" pads are more effective, easier to work with and cost less--the 4" pads are easy to work with in tight spaces like bumpers, pillars etc. I still use mine for tight spaces and moved on to a G15 for primary polishing.

Don't forget to get enough pads as trying to do an entire polishing step with one or two pads is a sure path to failure. Here's an article by Mike Phillips regarding the number of pads you'll need: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ut-my-car.html This of course applies to your 5.5" pads--you won't need as many 4" pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the GG6. Look into getting a smaller plate with the purchase as most people recommend. If you look at the Amp power and watts. GG6 comes closet to the rotary buffers that have the most power, but can damage paint if you don't know what you're doing.

Post Thanks / Like

don't be scared of a DA polisher ever OP, the only way you'd ruin your paint with one is if you flung it at your car like the hammer of thor.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

The Porter Cable 7424xp is my weapon of choice. Puts food on the tables, and pays the bills, reliably, faithfully.