autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What happened to my hydrotech pad?

I have a couple of these that sunk in the middle. How did this happen and how can it be prevented. Nothing was laying on top of them. Only a few were like this the others were ok. I think these are no good anymore. Does not make flush contact.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to my hydrotech pad?

Usually too much product or too much heat

Post Thanks / Like

Too much heat.
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

That happened to my hydrotechs too. Switched to ThinPros and haven't seen it happen with them.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are correct, too much heat but how? I have a GG6 and use 7 pads for my vehicle, so it is not like I am using one pad for the whole vehicle. I am doing some correction on my malibu and checked the heat in the middle. Very hot, I can not hold my finger on there. So after about two sections with 4 passes per section, I have to remove pad and let it cool down. What a pain. I was noticing my first hydrotech cyan pad sinking in the middle so that is when I decided to check and remove for cool down from that point on. The heat is being generated by the GG6 and transferring to the pad. After a while the GG6 gets heat soaked in the middle where the pad gets screwed in and I have to let the gg6 cool so the transfer does not happen as quick.
    Is it possible gg6 is faulty and overheating. I keep my hands clear of any vents.

Post Thanks / Like

Too much downward pressure, maybe? Too large an area buffing combined with not "cleaning on the fly" enough? Change one variable at a time and check the pads often for heat.
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobertin View Post
    You guys are correct, too much heat but how? I have a GG6 and use 7 pads for my vehicle, so it is not like I am using one pad for the whole vehicle. I am doing some correction on my malibu and checked the heat in the middle. Very hot, I can not hold my finger on there. So after about two sections with 4 passes per section, I have to remove pad and let it cool down. What a pain. I was noticing my first hydrotech cyan pad sinking in the middle so that is when I decided to check and remove for cool down from that point on. The heat is being generated by the GG6 and transferring to the pad. After a while the GG6 gets heat soaked in the middle where the pad gets screwed in and I have to let the gg6 cool so the transfer does not happen as quick.
    Is it possible gg6 is faulty and overheating. I keep my hands clear of any vents.
    This is exactly what I experience with my GG6, as well. I returned the first GG6 that I bought because it got too hot to touch after just a few minutes of use. The second one is better but still gets heat soaked in the center of the BP. The amount of pressure on the pad is irrelevent in my case.

Does anyone have a GG6 that doesn't heat up that way?

Post Thanks / Like

The heat is being generated by the GG6 and transferring to the pad.
    You sure it's not the other way around with the heat being transferred to the machine from the pad?
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Properly gauged extension cord?
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

If you have several pads you won't have to wait for a cool down. Change pads often and rotate them.
    Cutting down on your speed also helps the machine run cooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast