autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What happened to my hydrotech pad?

Changing the pads with my GG6 helps a little, but the machine still needs a cool-down due to the heat it generates on its own.

My extension cord is heavy duty and the same that I used with my PC7424 for 10 years without ever having a heat issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    Changing the pads with my GG6 helps a little, but the machine still needs a cool-down due to the heat it generates on its own.

My extension cord is heavy duty and the same that I used with my PC7424 for 10 years without ever having a heat issue.
    Use speed 4 and if that doesn't help, send you machine back to Griot.

Post Thanks / Like

What backing plate are you using? Lake Country plates have a really short hook system. Long hooks found on some other types of plates might generate too much friction where the hook interfaces with the loop.

Hydrotech pads as mentioned, don't like a lot of pressure, product, or heat. Too much speed isn't good for them either.

Also, if not fully dry after washing, water trapped in the closed cells within the pad will expand, and rupture the cells, thus collapsing them. Too much product saturation will do that too. I'm sure if the air is moist in the pad it can do the same. I put silica gel packs in my box of Hydrotech pads.

I've used Hydrotech pads on my PC 7424, 7424xp, Flex 3401 (when I had it), and a Rupes Duetto. Still have them, and they work just fine. I prefer them with the PC style machine though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    You sure it's not the other way around with the heat being transferred to the machine from the pad?
    Very sure. The heat is being transferred from the gg6. It is isolated where the backing plate screws in. The heat is traveling through the metal. If it were the other way around the whole pad would be hot and not just in the middle portion where it starts. I have the hd model, no extension cord.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobertin View Post
    Very sure. The heat is being transferred from the gg6. It is isolated where the backing plate screws in. The heat is traveling through the metal. If it were the other way around the whole pad would be hot and not just in the middle portion where it starts. I have the hd model, no extension cord.

My 1st Gen pc gets hot in the middle too. I'm going to see if Nick can get me the 3M 20206 5" back up pad, because it has a vent hole in the middle that releases out of other holes in the backing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Currently I am using a LC plate, have decreased pressure significantly already which has not helped. Using speed 5 but not 4 yet. The speed of my passes have to be on the faster side other wise it heats up even faster.
    The hood for example, I spit that in half with each half split into 3 sections with 4 quick passes. Usually by the end of the second section, i have to let the pad cool down to finish the 3rd section on half a hood. Get a new pad and start the second half the hood. At that point if I don't let the gg6 itself cool down then the pads heat up quicker. So to continue working I detach the pad after each section and fan it too cool it while I do a wipe down on the second half of the hood. Hope that makes sense and to show how quickly it can heat up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12