autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pad/Compound Recommendations For 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata?

Hello!

I am a bit overwhelmed by all the information out there... It looks like selecting pads/compounds depends on what DA you get, the severity of the scratches/swirl marks, and also the type of paint is used on the vehicle. I don't know the answer to the last two questions of these questions (I've been unable to find a "this is light scratching, this is moderate, this is heavy" picture comparison), so I've come here to ask.

I recently purchased a 2006 MX-5 Miata (Limited Edition). So far I haven't touched it (I have no cleaning supplies... They should arrive tomorrow). Here are some pictures:

Pad/Compound Recommendations For 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata?-20160626_192359_3-jpg
    Pad/Compound Recommendations For 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata?-20160626_192410_-jpg
    Pad/Compound Recommendations For 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata?-20160626_192425_2-jpg

EDIT: Turns out the pictures got downsized... Here's a link to more detailed ones: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

How severe would you say the scratching is, and how aggressive of a pad/compound should I get, taking the scratch severity and the kind of paint into consideration?

I intend to purchase a Griot's Garage 6" DA. I've seen more recommendations for 5.5" pads than I've seen for 6.5". Out of curiosity, why did they decide to include a 6" back plate if that is less popular?

Thanks!
    Nate

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad/Compound Recommendations For 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata?

As Mike Phillips always says, start with the least aggressive method. As far as pads go, there's a bunch of different brands. Same with product.

Few questions for you:

Do you have DA polisher picked out? Purchased? If so, which?
    What product do you have purchased?
    Are you looking to minimize steps and do an AIO (all in one) maybe?

I have the Flex 3401 personally, and it's a work horse. Powers through anything I've thrown at it, and it's an absolute blast to use. I use the Lake Country CCS pads (found here: CCS foam buffing pads,foam polishing pads,lake country foam pads,foam polisher pads,buffer pads,lake county pads,porter cable pads,pads for air sander), and I have 6 of the following: Orange (light cutting), White (polishing), Black (Finishing), and Blue (Finessing). This will be more than enough pads to get you through what you need. Personally, you could probably get away with 2-3 of each, and would honestly, be perfectly fine with Orange and White if you're not looking for show room finish.

I use HDSpeed found here (3D HD Speed) any chance I can get. I've used it on numerous paints, and it's an absolute BREEZE to use. I'd personally start with a white pad, sling some HD Speed on it, and go to town on your car. If it doesn't clear it up to what you want, switch to an orange pad, and see where that puts you. Again, if that doesn't work, perhaps you can switch to a different product with a bit more abrasion, such as HD Adapt (3D HD Adapt 32 oz.) or even HD Cut (3D HD Cut+ 32 oz. NEW FORMULA!) or if you're not a fan of that line, there's a TON of others you can use. Menzerna has an AIO (Menzerna One-Step Polish 3-in-1), or FG400 with SF3500 (Menzerna, Menzerna Polishing Compounds Products, Menzerna FMJ, menzerna polishes, menzerna car polish, menzerna nano polish, menzerna final polish,). There's a ton of products you can use. I basically picked out what I heard a lot of people using, what I thought would be the easiest, and went from there. I've been SUPER pleased with 3D's HD line for the ease of using the product, low dust, and easy removal.

I use my own vehicles as test vehicles for new products. I've got an older (09) Camry that's my guinea pig for new products, and I'm not too worried about trying new things on it. Stay in touch with what people are using, check out youtube, read up on the boards here, and watch Mike's videos. He does an exceptional job explaining how the products work, why they work, and what he's using them on. Best of luck! Any questions, just ask TONS of knowledgeable people around here.

-Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad/Compound Recommendations For 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata?

With less mass, better pad rotating torque with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads.

Pick up some Griot's BOSS 5.5" foam pads(white, orange, yellow) and Griot's BOSS Fast Correcting Cream, Correcting Cream, and Perfecting Cream(or Finishing Sealant). Start with the least aggressive until you get your desired results.

Depending on the hardness of the paint, you may or may not get a perfect finish with an 8mm DA. However, it WILL be much improved if it's the latter.

Where do you live?
    '03 Corvette Z06