autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking For A New Buffer

Since this is my first post, let me start by saying Hello to everyone. I am not a professional detailer, but I enjoy taking care of my 3 vehicles. Well I used my old orbital buffer yesterday for the first time in a few years and the pad just went to crap (dry rotted). For years, I used a cheap Craftsman 9 inch buffer that I can no longer order pads for. So it leaves me to the question of what is a good buffer for a novice? I would like to up my detailing skills, but not sure what buffer would suit my needs. I'm sure you have heard this question a million times. Looking for a buffer that will give me a quality shine, but safe in not burning the paint. Not sure if I can have the best of both worlds.
    In the past, I have been using a Carnauba Wax (Mothers), just purchased some Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax to try on my 2008 Dodge Nitro. I understand that the type of polish will have variable effects.
    I want to say thank you in advance for any information that will assist me.

Ron A.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking For A New Buffer

Welcome to the forum!

The first thing that you have to recognize is that the machine you have been using is what is frequently referred to as a "wax spreader" (which appears to be what you have been doing with it).

When we talk about "buffing" here, we are generally referring to abrasively removing paint defects. There are very safe machines which will not burn the paint.

You might want to look at these just to get started:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-spreader.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...g-project.html

And here's a comprehensive list of articles by Autogeek's Guru, Mike Phillips:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

Post Thanks / Like

Setec... Thanks for the links. All I can say is WOW !!! I have been using the wrong tool all these years. After watching these video's, I am sure I will have a million questions. I think my first decision is which DA Polisher to purchase??? Looking into the Porter Cable Model # 7424X. Which brings me to the next question... Since I am new to this type of detailing, what pad would be a good finishing pad. Also, if using a paste wax now, would it be better to go to a liquid?

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum, Ron.

It would help if you tell us what your three vehicles are and what color paint you'll be correcting. That will help determine the pads to use.

I used a PC 7424 for over a dozen years and still have it as a backup machine. But I'd recommend a Griots Garage 6 polisher (GG6). It's roughly the same price and is a lot more powerful, which makes the process quicker and easier.

Liquid or paste wax is mostly just personal preference. It doesn't make much difference in the application or results.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RonAlv View Post

Setec... Thanks for the links. All I can say is WOW !!! I have been using the wrong tool all these years. After watching these video's, I am sure I will have a million questions.

I think my first decision is which DA Polisher to purchase??? Looking into the Porter Cable Model # 7424XP.

Which brings me to the next question... Since I am new to this type of detailing, what pad would be a good finishing pad.

Also, if using a paste wax now, would it be better to go to a liquid?

Hi Ron,

Let me boil it down for you... the two most popular entry level dual action polishers are either the Porter Cable 7424XP or the Griot's Garage 6" DA Polisher. Simply put, Porter Cable invented this type of tool when they built it as a wood sander and back in the 1980's someone at Meguiar's found out the foam pad Meguiar's sold into body shops for air powered dual action sanders fit the Porter Cable electric sander and that's how we came to where we're at now.

So the Griot's and any other version of simple dual action polisher like the Meguiar's MT300, these are all copies of the original, the Porter Cable or simple called the PC.

Here's my article on the history of the PC.

The history behind polishing paint with a DA Polisher

Not that it matters but outside of this forum you'll never get this type of in-depth information anywhere.

Here's my article on how the PC started out as a wood sander including pictures of an antique desk I sanded using my paint polishing PC.

The Free Floating Spindle Bearing Assembly - The Story Behind The Story...

The majority of people on this forum will steer you to the Griot's, my personal preference for this "type" of tool is the PC. The Griot's has more power and a better warranty I just like the fit and finish of the PC better and when I need a more powerful tool I don't look for a more powerful PC I simply use either a rotary buffer or a FLEX 3401.

That summarizes the PC and the Griot's.

Then after you choose to get one or the other, get a copy of my DVD on the PC because it will show you everything you need to know and everything I show you applies to the PC and all copies of the PC. Period.

The click the link below and read through the entire thread.

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

It has links to the 5" backing plate you want and need no matter what simple DA you purchase.

It has links to the simple but effective 5.5" Lake Country 5.5" foam pads. If all you need is a pad for machine applying a wax then get the blue pad.

It has the link to my DVD on how to use the PC.

It has a link to my how-to book that cover everything you'll ever want to know about exterior detailing.

It has a link to my article, The DA Polisher Troubleshooting Guide <-- READ THIS BEFORE YOU EVEN PLUG YOUR POLISHER IN

It talks about the compression wash and shows you a picture. Don't lose it and do use the PC without it.

And tons more information in this one simple thread. I'd say I share the link to this thread more than any other I've ever written.

Hope that helps and after you get your polisher and use it a few times you'll say to yourself what I've heard thousands of people say over the 2 decades I've been teaching people to use the PC,

"I can't believe I waited so long to get a dual action polisher"

And of course, this forum is the most powerful resource in your tool box when it comes to car detailing.

Welcome to AGO!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autogeek. I am not a professwional and I happen to have a Porter Cable 7424XP. The Griots DA is also well liked here. I use Lake Country Flat Pads. You can also call Autogeek and they will be happy to help you with your decision.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post

But I'd recommend a Griots Garage 6 polisher (GG6). It's roughly the same price and is a lot more powerful, which makes the process quicker and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi Ron,

The majority of people on this forum will steer you to the Griot's,

See... I told you so...

Do your research and go with your instincts. I don't care which polisher you buy as they will both get the job done and the Griot's does have more power.

When it comes to numbers... we sell pallets of both every week.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mike View Post

Welcome to Autogeek.

I am not a professwional

But you've attended my Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class so you're as knowledgeable or more so than most professionals.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi Ron,

The majority of people on this forum will steer you to the Griot's
    DING DING DING!

Another vote for the griots Lol. The pc is a fantastic machine still love it, but i am a huge griots garage 6 inch fan.

As Mike stated above the PC was made for wood sanding, they are the pioneers, However ! The griots was designed to be a automotive polisher.

https://youtu.be/u_bu5uQ-6zc

There is a video i made polishing with the griots 6 Inch.

Fantastic company, fantastic warranty, fantastic machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post
    welcome to the forum, Ron.

It would help if you tell us what your three vehicles are and what color paint you'll be correcting. That will help determine the pads to use.

I used a PC 7424 for over a dozen years and still have it as a backup machine. But I'd recommend a Griots Garage 6 polisher (GG6). It's roughly the same price and is a lot more powerful, which makes the process quicker and easier.

Liquid or paste wax is mostly just personal preference. It doesn't make much difference in the application or results.
    My first vehicle that probably needs the most attention is a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid that is light blue color. Yesterday, I waxed by hand and noticed on the hood, I did not have that smooth to touch finish. IMO it felt a little like sand paper. I guess that is the best wat to describe it. The side panels came out with a smooth, slick to touch finish.

My 2nd car is a 2008 Nitro, silver in color. Paint is still good, when hand waxing, all panels come out smooth and slick, but wanting that wow factor when polishing it.

My 3rd car is a 2015 Ford Escape SE that is a dark Gunmetal color. This being pretty much brand new, looking for that deep shine, but I am to scared to put a DA polisher on it till I get comfortable with using one.

I would have never thought that there is an art and science to a great looking finish. I greatly appriciate you all taking time to help me out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast