autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I get two buffers?

Hey guys, I've been looking into getting my first buffer for personal use and maybe a little side work. I've been using a Dewalt 849x rotary buffer at my place of work for the last year and I feel that I do pretty good with it. In fact, I felt it was all I would need until I looked into the many kinds of buffers. I've removed deep scratches by wet sanding by hand and have been successful using a wool pad. I would then use two foam pads; one is slightly abrassive and removes swirls while the other is soft and polishes. Anyway, I know what swirl marks are and I don't really have a problem with that but I heard the DA buffers are really good at removing swirls or just everything besides major cutting. Since I'm looking to invest in some detailing supplies would it be a good idea to buy both a rotary and a DA? I've seen people say that after using a DA that they wish they would've made the switch sooner. I have also seen people say that its very difficult to remove holograms with a rotary. Now I'm wondering if I should get both? So far I'm thinking of just starting with the Dewalt to see how I do. Also is it true that you can work faster with a DA? Thanks in advance for any advice?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should I get two buffers?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick 93 View Post
    Hey guys, I've been looking into getting my first buffer for personal use and maybe a little side work. I've been using a Dewalt 849x rotary buffer at my place of work for the last year and I feel that I do pretty good with it. In fact, I felt it was all I would need until I looked into the many kinds of buffers. I've removed deep scratches by wet sanding by hand and have been successful using a wool pad. I would then use two foam pads; one is slightly abrassive and removes swirls while the other is soft and polishes. Anyway, I know what swirl marks are and I don't really have a problem with that but I heard the DA buffers are really good at removing swirls or just everything besides major cutting. Since I'm looking to invest in some detailing supplies would it be a good idea to buy both a rotary and a DA? I've seen people say that after using a DA that they wish they would've made the switch sooner. I have also seen people say that its very difficult to remove holograms with a rotary. Now I'm wondering if I should get both? So far I'm thinking of just starting with the Dewalt to see how I do. Also is it true that you can work faster with a DA? Thanks in advance for any advice?
    Yes always good to have both da and rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

With a da ,you work neat no sling and major dust. Rotary is good for dampsanding heavey intial cut correction or isolated scratches.or just get one machine flex 3401.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    just get one machine flex 3401.
    ^^ this. I use a 3401 for most everything now and have a smaller Porter Cable 7424xp that is a dedicated 4" unit.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I have also seen people say that its very difficult to remove holograms with a rotary. Now I'm wondering if I should get both? So far I'm thinking of just starting with the Dewalt to see how I do. Also is it true that you can work faster with a DA? Thanks in advance for any advice?
    Well, I guess you could say that it's difficult to remove holograms with a rotary, because a rotary is usally the cause of the holograms. I'm not sure how anyone figures they can work faster with a DA, unless that means if you count all your steps and cleanup as GSKR noted; if you're talking about defect removal, I'm not sure how anyone could say a DA would be faster, perhaps equal with some of the machines today.

As GSKR suggested a Flex 3401 is kind of a combination of the two machine types.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for the quick replies! I'll do some research on the Flex 3401. I did not know there was a combination of the two. Unfortunately I only used what the dealership supplies me so even though I have experience detailing I am still new to a lot of things I have never heard of or seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for the quick replies! I'll do some research on the Flex 3401. I did not know there was a combination of the two. Unfortunately I only used what the dealership supplies me so even though I have experience detailing I am still new to a lot of things I have never heard of or seen.
    Get the flex. I started with a non-forced rotation traditional DA and then added a second, one for 6" and the other for 4" pads. Never had an issue with capability of the units just the time involved. The flex won't stop, bog, slow down, etc and while I thought my traditional units were doing fine, I never realized how fast correction with the 3401 could be done. It powers through anything.

Good luck and I don't mean to spend your money but had I known, or used one first hand prior, I'd have bought one a long time ago.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

The Flex 3401 is a great machine that you should be comfortable with immediately if you've used a rotary, the only thing that might throw you is the direction of rotation is opposite.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a youtube search and found the autogeek video on the Flex 3401. Looks to be very impressive. I will be doing some more research but so far I'm fairly convinced on this buffer. I'd rather invest in a good buffer to begin with than invest in something I do not like. I heard that DA buffers take different pads than rotary buffers; does the flex take both or is it one or the other? Also I had some more questions on pads. Usually I use a wool pad on deep scratches but I've seen other detailers that use only foam pads. Are some foam pads as good as cutting as the wool pads are? Can they take out scratches that are fairly deep?

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that DA buffers take different pads than rotary buffers; does the flex take both or is it one or the other? Also I had some more questions on pads.
    The range of pads for the 3401 is more extensive but you can use the traditional thicker pads from a DA on the 3401. I'm currently using the stock I have without issue. You just don't want to use the thin pads that one would use on a traditional DA. The hybrid pads are what I'll be moving to but I think there's even a better version coming out soon as well. Choices are great.

Usually I use a wool pad on deep scratches but I've seen other detailers that use only foam pads. Are some foam pads as good as cutting as the wool pads are? Can they take out scratches that are fairly deep?
    I use wool on a rotary but not often. Foam on the 3401 takes out most everything without issue. The compound/product is more of a factor than the pad is. Really deep RIDs will likely be best removed or filled and sanded. No different than prior.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast