autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question A PTG comparison question!

Hi all, i am... Well, new to the forums but a long time lurker. I'm doing some research about PTG, and the available options. So, realistically I will probably pick up the Highline Meter II since its affordable and has a good rep... But i am interested in knowing why elcometer is generally not in discussions.

In my research, i saw that the elcometer 415 and the defelsko 6000 seems to be very direct competitors... I am wondering if anyone has experience with both gauge could chime in. Why elcometers more high end gauges are not generally discussed. It seems like they are offering a lot for the money.

I do know the defelsko is made in the US and is of high quality, but nothing says the elcometer (probably not made in the US) isnt equal or better for less money. If anyone has experience with both equipment, id definitly appreciate some feedback. I am very curious about the higher end equipment but the oem generally do not want to talk about their product vs competitors... So i couldnt find any definitive answers about their differences... If anyone can chime in on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Again this is just for my own curiosity... I am most likely not considering a 800+ dollar gauge until I feel the need to offer something that compelling.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A PTG comparison question!

Quote Originally Posted by Chramiji View Post
    Hi all, i am... Well, new to the forums but a long time lurker. I'm doing some research about PTG, and the available options. So, realistically I will probably pick up the Highline Meter II since its affordable and has a good rep... But i am interested in knowing why elcometer is generally not in discussions.

In my research, i saw that the elcometer 415 and the defelsko 6000 seems to be very direct competitors... I am wondering if anyone has experience with both gauge could chime in. Why elcometers more high end gauges are not generally discussed. It seems like they are offering a lot for the money.

I do know the defelsko is made in the US and is of high quality, but nothing says the elcometer (probably not made in the US) isnt equal or better for less money. If anyone has experience with both equipment, id definitly appreciate some feedback. I am very curious about the higher end equipment but the oem generally do not want to talk about their product vs competitors... So i couldnt find any definitive answers about their differences... If anyone can chime in on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Again this is just for my own curiosity... I am most likely not considering a 800+ dollar gauge until I feel the need to offer something that compelling.
    Since we can't discuss a competitors product here..try Autopia or Google.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Since we can't discuss a competitors product here..try Autopia or Google.
    Oh, my apologies about that. I wasnt aware. I did try to search for hours and didnt actually find anyyhing that compares the two..... If a mod can delete this thread I'd appreciate it. I was going to delete my original post but it has been quoted and wouldn't make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

And since higine is elcometer
    I actually emailed them about that since the Highline is shown on their website, and they claimed they don't make the Highline they just sell it for people that want a low-cost instrument. Not sure I buy that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I actually emailed them about that since the Highline is shown on their website, and they claimed they don't make the Highline they just sell it for people that want a low-cost instrument. Not sure I buy that.
    I have found some items they sell (at a premium) that is re-branded... but they definitely have one of the better prices on the highline meter II.

So.. one of the reason why I'd like to have a PTG (and a nice and reliable one at that) is because i recently got my new car touched up by the dealer because the car was delivered with paint scratch damage, and i've notice some fairly aggressive sanding on my paint (their guy didnt do a good job on the touch up too) so I am slightly concerned about compounding/polishing out that area.. I will never let someone else do the job again...). I've also been asked to do some paint correction work on some older vehicles which.. I couldn't tell if the car was previously "handled" by someone else, there seems to be hints of machining on the paint, and some respray, i'd would prefer an idea of what I can and cannot do besides just turning down jobs. I only do minor corrections on newer vehicles that never seen polisher before, or make sure the client signs off on some liability (ie they plan on respraying anyway if it didn't work out) to stay on the safe side currently.

And the lack of discussion about anything other than the Defelsko anywhere... the engineer in me have high interest in advance inspection apparatuses, hence my curiosity about the higher end PTG/CTG market.

Post Thanks / Like

And the lack of discussion about anything other than the Defelsko anywhere... the engineer in me have high interest in advance inspection apparatuses, hence my curiosity about the higher end PTG/CTG market.
    I've wondered about that, since these devices are battery operated, I'm wondering if the lower priced instruments don't have internal voltage regulation and their accuracy degrades/changes as the battery voltage decreases--I've run into this before with battery vs. line voltage instruments before (in different context).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I've wondered about that, since these devices are battery operated, I'm wondering if the lower priced instruments don't have internal voltage regulation and their accuracy degrades/changes as the battery voltage decreases--I've run into this before with battery vs. line voltage instruments before (in different context).
    intriguing I wonder if the highline meter 2 and the defelsko 6000 could demonstrate the difference, then again this would require people with both to chime in with their experience in a controlled environment ie: same state of battery charge, testing same exact sample.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used an Elcometer 415 but I do have a Defelsko 6000. It looks like the main difference is the Elcometer does not measure non-metal substrates while the Defelsko unit does offer this capability. IMHO the only reason to drop more than $2k on a PTG is if it is capable of measuring the paint thickness of any substrate. You can get basic PTGs that measure film build on ferrous and non-ferrous metals for under $200.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Yeah i read that thread many times, the 8801 is the same price as the highline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast