autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Please help me make a buffer decision - voice of reason please!

Let me start by saying I am not a professional detailer. I only take care of the 3 vehicles in our household, as well as two boats. I currently have a Griots 6" DA and 3" DA as well as a Makita 9227 rotary polisher. I am currently in the process of buffing out some light oxidation on one of the boats using the Makita. It is going fine, but it seems that the Makita is getting heavier each time I use it. Well, maybe it's not getting heavier, but I am getting older, so you get the point. So I have started considering getting something a little lighter. However, I only use the rotary maybe once or twice every year or two. Most of my detailing can be handled with a DA. So should I suck it up and just keep using the Makita for occasionally buffing the boats, and credit it as "exercise"? Or would investing in a newer lighter weight tool be a good investment for my well being? And if I do get a new tool, is there a recommended one that would be able to adequately buff lightly oxidized gel coat, but also be safe enough to use on a car's paint? Thanks in advance!
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please help me make a buffer decision - voice of reason please!

I personally would stick with what you have.your doing this as a hobby so speed isn't a issue for you.I personally would stick with what you have.The griots 6 will tackle anything with the right pads and products.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about double post.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't worked with boats but....Maybe try to keep on the schedule of doing the boat twice a year so the oxidation doesn't build up as much, reducing the amount of time needed to correct it. Like I said I'm not familiar, but maybe a marine/rv All In One would work with the right pad?

Or, you could list the compound, polish, and pads you use, and others that may be familiar with the products can tell you if there is something better/quicker out there that you may want.

The Flex PE14 is said to be a good capable machine and would be a little over a pound lighter.

I believe some may use the FLEX XC 3401 for both auto and gelcoat finishes and should be safer and finish better than a regular rotary on auto paint.

Post Thanks / Like

On one hand I agree with GSKR.

On the other, you might be able to get a Flex 3401 to bridge the gap between the rotary and the GG6..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    On one hand I agree with GSKR.

On the other, you might be able to get a Flex 3401 to bridge the gap between the rotary and the GG6..
    I'd say this isn't a bad idea. Just because it's a hobby doesn't mean time isn't an issue. I do our 33ft tiara every year and I'm not about to stick with say a porter cable just because I don't need it out for a customer fast. I want it done fast so that i can get it in the water and spend less time polishing it. Limited available days as it is on top of weather restricting when I can work and my job also making it hard.

Please help me make a buffer decision - voice of reason please!-imageuploadedbyagonline1463886389-138384-jpg
    Please help me make a buffer decision - voice of reason please!-imageuploadedbyagonline1463886408-578638-jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Please help me make a buffer decision - voice of reason please!-imageuploadedbyagonline1463886378-143649-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

If the makita is giving you aches and pains for sure get something lighter. Aches and pains only get worse as you get older and 3-$400 bucks is well worth a future of less back pain.

You could try using the flex pe-14 rotary. It's super light or I really enjoyed using my boss 21 this year on the boat with megs mf cut and polish pads.

Post Thanks / Like

The newer machines are great for flat big run surfaces.But I find you don't save a substantial amount of time working on cars with a 21.The larger orbit can't get into tight areas and I find that switching machines is a time waster.The new machines wil not accommodate is request as far as weight and pressure applied constantly.The flex rotary how ever is light compared to the makita.I bought the new machine and within a hor I knew this wasn't gonna work,returned it a bought a griots da.every one has the opinions and choice of tools that work for them.But I've done huge airplanes and baked rvs with this little lightweight powerful machine with no fatigue and the same results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I personally would stick with what you have.your doing this as a hobby so speed isn't a issue for you.I personally would stick with what you have.The griots 6 will tackle anything with the right pads and products.
    Thanks GSKR, this is what the "practical" side of me is saying. It's hard to justify several hundred dollars+ for a seldom used tool, especially if I can get good results with the GG. But I guess I still need to demonstrate that I can get acceptable results with the GG. Any recommendations on pads?
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    I haven't worked with boats but....Maybe try to keep on the schedule of doing the boat twice a year so the oxidation doesn't build up as much.
    Agree 100%! I do need to keep on top of it more, so that it is more waxing than polishing.

I am currently using Lake Country purple foamed wool pads with the rotary, and they work great. I only have Lake Country foam pads for the DA (CCS and flat, various colors). They don't seem to cut enough, but I'm not sure the DA can spin a foamed wool pad adequately without stopping.

As far as compounds, I have Buff Magic, 3M rubbing compound, 3M Finesse It II, Aquabuff 2000, Marine 31 One Step Compound and Polish, and Meguires Oxidation Remover.
    Craig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast