autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter Cable finally died, looking to replace

I was in the same boat as you a while back. My PC (non-XP) finally died after years of use. I purchased a PCXP almost immediately, but after a couple years, it really started wearing on me. Lot of fatigue in my arms from it. Tried several options and landed on the Flex 3401. Nothing corrects like it and finishes just fine with the right technique. If I was in the same boat today, I would probably still go with the Flex XCE (the newer version of the 3401) if I was doing a ton of correcting. The other option is the Flex XFE7-15 if you want to do free-spin, long-throw. In my time with it at SEMA this year, it was clear none of its competitors were as smooth and powerful as it. It also had the typical Flex fit and finish, which is to say just nicer than Rupes or GG.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated with what you decide to do!
    2005 Honda S2000 | 2008 Acura MDX | 2015 Honda Fit EX

Post Thanks / Like

no sense in spending $300+ on a polisher if you're only going to use it a few times a year. with that said, the GG6 would be a great choice and is a step up from the PC/XP and has noticeably more power/torque, lifetime warranty, and better ergonomics. it's a little beast!

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher FREE SHIPPING

i am the jump starter.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. For your needs the GG6 would be a wise choice. More power than the PC and you still can swap out the backing plate to whatever size you need. And its still fine to apply sealant/wax with it. Using the long throw polishers to apply sealant/wax seems like over kill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Did you change the brushes on your PC?
    I did not... and now that I googled it I'm wondering how much of an impact that might have had on extending the life... truth be told I'm now kicking myself for discarding it so quickly without hearing out what the forum has to say
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natewood70 View Post
    Haha, yeah it lasted a very long time for me. Truth be told, I wasn't the gentlest with it either.

Do you use your FLEX to apply wax? I know that question is redundant in this thread, but it's what I'll mainly use my new polisher for. I would love to have one with the power to carry out corrections when needed which is why I'm all for investing a little more to have that power on standby when needed.
    You can apply wax as well as sealant with the Flex 3401. I have beaten up my Flex pretty hard. I dropped it a couple of times off my bench by accident (4+ feet). Still keeps on truckin. You can use 1 hand with the Flex for waxing as it is very easily controllable at low speeds. If you do a lot of detailing; I would look into the benefits of the DA. You will save a considerable amount of detailing time. More time = more detailing = more money. I use my PC as my mini 3" DA.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I agree. For your needs the GG6 would be a wise choice. More power than the PC and you still can swap out the backing plate to whatever size you need. And its still fine to apply sealant/wax with it. Using the long throw polishers to apply sealant/wax seems like over kill.
    That's pretty much my mindset. I have no problem paying for a better tool if it would be worth it for me. Since this will primarily be for laying down some wax/sealants and the occasional 1, maybe 2 step correction it really seems I am going to be within the realm of the following polishers:

1. Porter Cable 7424XP
    2. Griots Garage 6"

I started looking at the chemical guys TORQ, but the specs just don't seem to sell the product AND I have yet to come across any thread where someone has mentioned using one.

All that being said, I'll probably end up going with the GG6 simply for all the great reviews, beefier motor, and the lifetime warranty.

Seriously, this place rocks. Since joining the forums 5 1/2 years ago I have learned a ton and could always count on this place to help guide me! Whether it was starting and running my own detailing business to the (now) transition to detailing enthusiast, I have never been disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    You can apply wax as well as sealant with the Flex 3401. I have beaten up my Flex pretty hard. I dropped it a couple of times off my bench by accident (4+ feet). Still keeps on truckin. You can use 1 hand with the Flex for waxing as it is very easily controllable at low speeds. If you do a lot of detailing; I would look into the benefits of the DA. You will save a considerable amount of detailing time. More time = more detailing = more money. I use my PC as my mini 3" DA.
    I do the same, the PC is fantastic with a 3.5" pad.

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty much my mindset. I have no problem paying for a better tool if it would be worth it for me. Since this will primarily be for laying down some wax/sealants and the occasional 1, maybe 2 step correction it really seems I am going to be within the realm of the following polishers:

2. Griots Garage 6"

All that being said, I'll probably end up going with the GG6 simply for all the great reviews, beefier motor, and the lifetime warranty.
    nobody here will try to stir you wrong, pick up this (GG6) little bad boy, you'll be glad you did. rest assured since you aren't going to be using it often, that you will be covered if something were to happen later down the road. GG customer service is excellent...
    i am the jump starter.

Mike Phillips

Do you use your FLEX to apply wax?
    Yes. Do it all the time and teach my classes how to do it also. It's easier to use a PC to machine apply a wax or even the Griot's Garage 3" polisher as they are smaller and more compact but the FLEX 3401 is very versatile with a soft foam pad is completely at home machine applying a wax or sealant.

I show this in my car detailing books and my boat detailing book.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post

After 12 years the statement above should tell you everything you need to know. I'd buy another PC7424xp, then save up enough money for any other polisher of your choosing, but I wouldn't be without my trusty Porter Cable. Twelve (12) years of hard use is nothing to sneeze at. That's reliability!
    It's a very well built tool and it is the tool that everyone started the orbital revolution in the car detailing world and the tool that everyone else has cloned for their version.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post

Take your own words, then consider how often Mike Phillips still recommends the Porter Cable of other similar DA's...what more proof do you need. (That's a statement, not a question.)
    I call these types of dual action polishers,

Entry Level DA Polishers

Even the slides in my Power Points for my Competition Ready 3-day detailing classes are titled this way as we move through ALL the tools. We start with the PC type because they are the easiest to learn how to use and master. (that's two things).

I also like them because I do wet work sometimes like machine scrubbing tires, machine scrubbing upholstery, machine scrubbing non-skid and machine wet sanding and the PC is CAS listed and I've never felt that little tingle shock when using the PC.

I do like the Griot's version and it does have a LOT more power. The reason it tend to use the PC over the Griot's however is because now that there are so many THIN 5.5" foam pads on the market pad rotation is never an issue so anything I can do with a Griot's I can do with a PC using thin pads.

If I need more POWER and SPEED I don't look for a more powerful PC I grab either a rotary buffer or a FLEX 3401

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post

I have both a PC7424 and a Flex 3401. If I had to own only one, it would be the Flex by a wide margin.

I can correct a car in at least 1/2 the time with a Flex,

which is valuable to me because running a polisher back and forth over clear coat is not my favorite activity.

"With a FLEX 3401 you can power through a detail job"

You can quote me on that because it's true. Just look at some of the "times" I've posted for how long it takes me to go from start to finish doing the exterior of a car using a FLEX 3401.

It definitely has a lot more power than the PC.

Seriously, this place rocks. Since joining the forums 5 1/2 years ago I have learned a ton and could always count on this place to help guide me!

Whether it was starting and running my own detailing business to the (now) transition to detailing enthusiast, I have never been disappointed.

That is such a powerful compliment about this forum. Thank you for sharing your opinion on AGO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Yes. Do it all the time and teach my classes how to do it also. It's easier to use a PC to machine apply a wax or even the Griot's Garage 3" polisher as they are smaller and more compact but the FLEX 3401 is very versatile with a soft foam pad is completely at home machine applying a wax or sealant.

I show this in my car detailing books and my boat detailing book.

It's a very well built tool and it is the tool that everyone started the orbital revolution in the car detailing world and the tool that everyone else has cloned for their version.

I call these types of dual action polishers,

Entry Level DA Polishers

Even the slides in my Power Points for my Competition Ready 3-day detailing classes are titled this way as we move through ALL the tools. We start with the PC type because they are the easiest to learn how to use and master. (that's two things).

I also like them because I do wet work sometimes like machine scrubbing tires, machine scrubbing upholstery, machine scrubbing non-skid and machine wet sanding and the PC is CAS listed and I've never felt that little tingle shock when using the PC.

I do like the Griot's version and it does have a LOT more power. The reason it tend to use the PC over the Griot's however is because now that there are so many THIN 5.5" foam pads on the market pad rotation is never an issue so anything I can do with a Griot's I can do with a PC using thin pads.

If I need more POWER and SPEED I don't look for a more powerful PC I grab either a rotary buffer or a FLEX 3401

"With a FLEX 3401 you can power through a detail job"

You can quote me on that because it's true. Just look at some of the "times" I've posted for how long it takes me to go from start to finish doing the exterior of a car using a FLEX 3401.

It definitely has a lot more power than the PC.

That is such a powerful compliment about this forum. Thank you for sharing your opinion on AGO.

Thanks for the detailed reply, Mike. I'll be ordering the GG6 soon, and look forward to it providing many faithful years of service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast