autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How to fix this? carbon fiber

So I'm pretty new to this forum and I'm trying to fix a carbon fiber hood for my friend. What would be the best way to attack this?

1.Would I just use a compound then polish it out and put some paint sealant or would I have to clear coat it instead of the paint sealant?
    2. Wet Sand it, and put a clear coat or something?
    Also what is the different between paint sealant and clear coat? Is it always necessary to put clear coat ?
    Sorry for all this question pretty new here and been searching around the forum for answer but I couldn't find. Thank you guys, I really appreciated it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to fix this? carbon fiber

Looks alot like clearcoat failure, if thats the case no compound or polish is gonna help. It will have to be re-sprayed

Post Thanks / Like
    Could that be delamination

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What would you guys do? and what is the different between paint sealant and clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by randy00013 View Post
    What would you guys do? and what is the different between paint sealant and clear coat?
    It needs to be sanded, prepped, and clearcoated again for certain. This is the only correct solution.

The difference between the two is that clearcoat is actually a part of the paint system, applied over the basecoat (color, or in this case CF), and is permanent. Paint sealant is something that is applied to the clearcoat to protect it from weather/contamination, and is by no means permanent. Think of sealant as just an extremely durable wax, if that helps.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So using a rubbing compound that remove heavy oxidation and polishing it out isn't the best way, but sanding and clear coat it again is the correct way to attack this problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by randy00013 View Post
    So using a rubbing compound that remove heavy oxidation and polishing it out isn't the best way, but sanding and clear coat it again is the correct way to attack this problem?
    Yes, that is correct. If you were to use compound/buffer, you would most likely just be ripping what very little is left of the clearcoat right off, especially if you're using a rotary or a wool pad. The prep work/clearcoat used by most mfgrs on carbon fiber panels simply isn't up to snuff, because they're doing the process as cheaply as possible (CF is not a cheap thing to begin with). Any capable body shop will be able to do the prep work correctly, and the clearcoat will be much higher quality as well.

I remember the Lancer Evolution VIIIs having this very problem with the stock spoilers when the first couple model years hit the US. I worked in a body shop at that time, and we must have repaired 10-20 of them, no exaggeration lol.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Alright sounds good, thanks SRconcepts!

Post Thanks / Like
    If this is Clear Coat failure. The only way of fixing it (say on regular car paint) would be to repaint it.

If you color sand you'll just be sanding away what little is left.

If it were a customer I would just say sorry all you can do is repaint it. If it were my friend I would say "I'm not going to touch it but you can try putting some glaze over to see what happens"

Meguiars no. 7 show car glaze was pretty impressive the other day when I worked on my Brothers car. Only did this area to test out my new product.

How to fix this? carbon fiber-imageuploadedbyagonline1368304692-486957-jpgHow to fix this? carbon fiber-imageuploadedbyagonline1368304706-318982-jpg

A glaze like Meguiar's No. 7 will be the best you can do. (Apply by hand)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SRConcepts View Post
    Yes, that is correct. If you were to use compound/buffer, you would most likely just be ripping what very little is left of the clearcoat right off, especially if you're using a rotary or a wool pad. The prep work/clearcoat used by most mfgrs on carbon fiber panels simply isn't up to snuff, because they're doing the process as cheaply as possible (CF is not a cheap thing to begin with). Any capable body shop will be able to do the prep work correctly, and the clearcoat will be much higher quality as well.

I remember the Lancer Evolution VIIIs having this very problem with the stock spoilers when the first couple model years hit the US. I worked in a body shop at that time, and we must have repaired 10-20 of them, no exaggeration lol.
    What is CF?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast