autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing oils under sealant

It's commonly recommended here that an IPA wipedown be done between the polishing and sealant steps to strip the polishing oils that may prevent a sealant from bonding to the paint surface properly. Has anyone tested this theory by doing a 50/50 on a panel, one side with the polishing oils removed and one without, and seeing how it actually affects a sealant's performance and longevity?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't even question doing a wipe down . I'm sure someone has done a comparison . if it's that recommended to do wipe down before applying Lsp , then I say you should do it . doesn't take long , and there are better products to use than ipa.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing oils under sealant

This may be a stupid question, but hey, I'm not proud. If you put down a coat of glaze and then do an IPA or mineral spirits wipe before the sealant, aren't you going to lose some of the benefits of the glaze?
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by truckbutt View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but hey, I'm not proud. If you put down a coat of glaze and then do an IPA or mineral spirits wipe before the sealant, aren't you going to lose some of the benefits of the glaze?
    From my understanding, yes you will. When I finishing washing and drying a car, I do a IPA wipe down to make sure all LSP's and glazes are clean off the surface before polishing.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding, there are benefits to leaving polishing oils on the paint (especially for daily drivers and other cars where perfection is not required), like filling in minor swirls, darkening the paint, etc. If sealant bonding isn't really affected by the presence of polishing oils, then I would think that it's better to leave them on for an improved appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lee1dew View Post
    From my understanding, there are benefits to leaving polishing oils on the paint (especially for daily drivers and other cars where perfection is not required), like filling in minor swirls, darkening the paint, etc. If sealant bonding isn't really affected by the presence of polishing oils, then I would think that it's better to leave them on for an improved appearance.
    If you are not looking for perfection, apply a glaze before applying your LSP. Most glazes are made to be topped with a sealant. I don't think polishing oils are the best thing to leave on the paint and then top with a sealant.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Take Autogeek's description of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, for example:

Meguiars Ultimate Polish, meguiars car polish, meguiars polishes, mcguire's

"Meguiars Ultimate Polish removes light imperfections and leaves paint wax-ready."

Later in the description, it says:

"Used on paint in good condition, Meguiars Ultimate Polish removes light swirls and water spots and deepens the paint color with rich polishing oils."

This implies that you're supposed to leave oils on the paint and wax over it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by truckbutt View Post
    correct . if u use a glaze do not do a wipedown as this will remove the glaze properties. a glaze contains fillers to hide light imperfections, and does not last long . IMO if u correct polish u vehicle there is not need for a glaze. wax-sealant over the glaze. I'm surely not no pro but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night. jk . but really I learned a ton from this forum and I'm not always correct but I love to learn . no such thing as stupid questions. let's hope a more seasoned pro will reply and give a better rundown on glazes .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rider9195 View Post
    From my understanding, yes you will. When I finishing washing and drying a car, I do a IPA wipe down to make sure all LSP's and glazes are clean off the surface before polishing.
    That's an unnecessary step as the polish will remove any lsp. Claying before polishing would be better than an IPA wipe down, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lee1dew View Post
    It's commonly recommended here that an IPA wipedown be done between the polishing and sealant steps to strip the polishing oils that may prevent a sealant from bonding to the paint surface properly. Has anyone tested this theory by doing a 50/50 on a panel, one side with the polishing oils removed and one without, and seeing how it actually affects a sealant's performance and longevity?
    That would be a nice test for someone to do !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast