autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The difference between glaze and sealant?

I see when shopping there is glaze and there is sealant. I bought mezana lock earlier. Am i missing something?
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The difference between glaze and sealant?

To me, a glaze is something that enhances gloss or has good filling properties to hide swirls at the expense of durability/protection. A sealant is intended to provide a durable protective coat to the paint. I would say some spray waxes or gloss detailers are variants of glazes.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

A glaze is typically to enhance shine and wetness, and to fill in fine scratches and swirls, whereas a sealant or a wax will give you protection. If you wanted to use a glaze, you would top it with a non-cleaning sealant or wax to provide real paint protection.
    08 Subaru WRX

Mike Phillips

Depends upon whether you're coming from a body shop point of view or end-user point of view...

• Body shops don't use ingredients that last...
    • Consumers want ingredients that last...

The lasting ingredients are the protection ingredients and ingredients that last are the ingredients that seal the paint and you don't want these types of products in a body shop where they are spraying fresh paint.

The confusion comes from the "Consumer" market where the term glaze is used to describe a product that lasts and in the body shop industry it's used to describe a product that doesn't last...

Worry less about the name on the label and focus on what the product is actually supposed to do...

If you want product to protect your paint then you want a wax or a paint sealant regardless of the name on the label.

See this thread,

How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up..Meguiar's has a product called #7 Glaze. It is a pure polish and will not remove the paint at all; very oily. On the other hand, Wolfgang has a glaze as well, but this glaze DOES remove paint. I got confused the first time and I assumed since Meguiar's glaze doesn't remove paint then the Wolfgang won't remove paint either, but this is untrue.

Just a little example of how you can get messed up if you just assume every glaze is the same..or any other specific type of product.

This is kinda helping out Mike's point on "Worry less about the name on the label and focus on what the product is actually supposed to do"

Also, if you bought Menzerna Power Lock, chances are you don't need a pure polish glaze.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by maximus20895 View Post

Just a heads up..Meguiar's has a product called #7 Glaze. It is a pure polish and will not remove the paint at all; very oily.

On the other hand, Wolfgang has a glaze as well, but this glaze DOES remove paint.

And this is the problem with terms used in this industry, there's no laws or regulations as far as wording goes so you can find

• Non-abrasive glazes that don't correct or protect
    • Abrasive glazes for correcting paint
    • Glazes that are actually waxes or paint sealants that don't abrade the paint but will leave behind a layer of protection.
    • Glaze that are actually cleaner/waxes or cleaner/sealants, so they offer a little correction and also leave behind some type of protective layer.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say a glaze is used before a wax/sealant. A glaze enhances gloss or shine and offers no real protection. A sealant does and is where you get the beading action from
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

thank you, is my pinnecle cleaning lotion serving the purpose of filling in swirls?

Post Thanks / Like

thank you. so if i use pinnecle lotion , power lock and finishing with pinnecle soveren, is this enough? or adding a glaze can make a difference? thanks for the support.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you. just realized my question to mike , you answered no need for glaze if using power lock
    i am using pinnecle lotion. again, thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast