autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice: Sealant for Winter or Sealant + Wax

So I just finished doing my pre-winter paint prep on my 2001 Silver Mercedes ML55 AMG. I keep the paint in good shape, so I only do a light polish before the change of seasons (pre winter and spring). This basically includes me stripping off the old LSP, a good claying, and Polishing with my Flex, a blue pad, and Some Menzerna 85rd. (I do 2 passes, 1 pass with more pressure and then a slower, lighter jeweling pass). Anyway here comes my dilemma. I usually go with a a couple coats of sealant topped with a couple coats of a wax for the Wamer months (Wolfgangs + whatever wax im feeling) and in the winter I usually keep it just Wolfgangs sealant and then use the Wolfgangs Spray Sealant to boost it up every few weeks or so. Anyways this year I did the detail and topped with 2 coats of Wolfgangs Sealant, and all was good but now Im real tempted to do a wax on top. Even though I work in an industrial area, thats pretty dusty ( I park inside a garage at work though) and the paint seems to stay a bit cleaner and pick up less contamination when sealant is on opposed to a carnauba, Im starting to lean towards doing hte wax anyways. I know its not that big of a deal, but I keep going back and forth and cant make a decision. The thing thats setting me off right now is the Pinn Sig Series BOGO. Ive never used it and heard it looks awesome on silver. Its either that or the small container of Fuzion but probably the sig series cause its BOGO. However if I go with the small fuzion I can still use the WG Sealant spray over it to recharge it. Or maybe I should just keep the sealant on it alone as planned. I like what I got so far but Im kind of missing the added wetness and glow of the wax. Plus Ive been using the P21S Concours for the last year on the Silver and am dying to try something else. Guys help me out here please....someone convince me. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice: Sealant for Winter or Sealant + Wax

I don't know much about Wolfgang products or anything, plus I'm a total detailing noob, but from what I can see (read) here, seems like you've already made up your mind to go ahead and add the wax or else you wouldn't be debating with yourself about it so much!

For what it's worth, I don't think it'll hurt and I say go for it to get that extra shine when you look at your car.

Post Thanks / Like

Im actually now leaning towards just staying with the Sealant. hmmm

Post Thanks / Like

SS II will not last long in winter environment (especially if salt is on the roads), it's a beauty wax not meant to last long. DP maxwax would last a bit longer. Now during the spring would be a good time to try it. You can buy it now and use the second one as a gift to a fellow car nut.

Post Thanks / Like

First off, I'm not one that "tops" sealants with a wax.
    If I didn't like the appearance of the sealant I was using, I would change to one I did like.
    That said, I seem to be in the minority and as with most car care things, it's a matter of personal choice.

Now, to answer your question.
    No, I would not top your sealant with a wax, but the reason would be the fact that before you can apply more sealant, you will need to use a paint cleaner to remove that wax.
    With straight sealant, you may find several days during the winter months when you will be able to do an application of your sealant.
    You may not have the opportunity to use both a paint cleaner and apply your sealant.
    Obviously, you could add more wax, but you were using the sealant for protection you didn't feel the wax would give you or you would have used wax in the first place.
    What I do is go with my sealant and hope/try to apply it again a time or two during the winter months. Works for me.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. Im going to stick with the sealant for the winter months, as planned. At least I can do touchups with the WG Sealant spray I got then. I was just trying to find a reason to do something else to the truck. Im more then happy with the look of WG sealant, but I can defintely see the difference a wax topper offers. Im up in Northern NJ, and it snowed a little today. No sense in adding a beauty wax thats gona end up lasting a week after a bad storm. I am going to buy something to stash for the spring though

Post Thanks / Like

I use a combination of sealant and wax. For me, it is the best of both worlds and produces the best results.

I use Wolfgangs Deep Paint Sealant 3.0, first coat, let it cure 12 hours. Then top with Dodo Blue Velvet (let it cure for about an hour) and then Purple Haze on top of that. I have found that the Sealant protects the paint very well and as long as you let it fully cure, the wax (hard, then soft) give two extra layers of depth to the paint AND allows just that extra layer of protection from the environment. In the future, I plan on doing an extra step of a second coat of sealant, however it will be the WG DPS + WG DP Spritz, then the wax. Making the second coat easier to apply, with the same great results.

Here is a quick picture of this combination I am speaking of. The car's paint still beads like I just did it. The car has not had wax or sealant applied to it since two months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from MD, so NJ not that far up from me ur better off using the seal on ur ride to protect it from bad weather. When Spring comes start using ur PW for that extra shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ml13 View Post
    thanks guys. Im going to stick with the sealant for the winter months, as planned. At least I can do touchups with the WG Sealant spray I got then. I was just trying to find a reason to do something else to the truck. Im more then happy with the look of WG sealant, but I can defintely see the difference a wax topper offers. Im up in Northern NJ, and it snowed a little today. No sense in adding a beauty wax thats gona end up lasting a week after a bad storm. I am going to buy something to stash for the spring though
    I too am from NJ. I live in Northwestern Morris County, and we got about 6 inches yesterday. I also agree that a few coats of sealant will be a better way to go in the winter months, but I like to top my sealant with a few coats of 845IW. It adds a great level of protection, and looks great as well.