autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with Poorboys Trim Restorer?

I used some Poorboys TR on my wife Explorer, it went on great and done a nice job. In the pass, I have used Adam’s VRT, look great, but it did not like the rain, same for Megs # 40. Also use 303, great stuff. Well, I detail cars on the side and started using TR, on a Toyota 4 runner, the TR would not penetrate the rubber and it had streaks. So I clean it off and reapplied it. Done the same thing. Took it off and went back with 303 went on great and the rubber look like new. I tried TR again on the Explorer and no problem. I have use TR on a Chevy Impala and it turn out great. So anybody have any thoughts on this. What the heck I’m I doing wrong? Maybe it don’t like Jap cars! I’m always trying different products, and the TR is a little cheaper then 303, I like more bang for the buck! Help please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe TR works different on different plastic or rubber. The trim may absorb different products in different ways. I use NL on my car and others often when i have used it on Toyotas Dash everyone of them streaked.

I ordered TR today Sparkie do you have any opinions and will it drip on the ext paint if the car gets wet or rains?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had problems with Trim Restorer on my Mountaineer (same as Explorer). Search and you'll find the thread/posts. I could not get TR to last more then a day or two whereas somehow some were getting 1+ month with it. It also would be very greasy which is kinda funny since it says its not greasy. I just could not get it to penetrate the seals especially around the windows. Finally I rubbed and rubbed with some cleaner to really clean the trim and used TR again. But I had to do multiple coats, I'm talking like 4 or 5 and it still didn't last long. Though I did try the multiple coatings on my rear bumper and sealed it with AW and it held up well.

But I cannot get TR to work well on the rubber seals and trim around the windows. Actually damn near anything I've tried to restorer some black gloss to it doesn't work, VRT lasted about 3 days as well. Which doesn't make sense to me since I've seen some people post pics after the products were used and the trim looks awsome. Mine is only faded a little, not bad or anything, but I would like something that could keep it nice and glossy black for at least a little while. If I have to keep apply something every couple days or even week, then I won't even bother.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    Like I said it work on the Explorer and lasted about the same as 303. The 303 had a richer look to it. And as far as the Impala, it was a car I detail, it look good the day I done it. Have not talked to the person I done it for. You can say that the Explorer is my test car for products. On the outside of vehicles so far the 303 is the best for me. Surfer, your right about VRT it doesn't last!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well at least TR works on your Explorer, I can't get it to work well on my Mountaineer even after cleaning the hell out of the trim to prep, and it's the same truck/trim etc as an Explorer.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe.p
    Maybe TR works different on different plastic or rubber. The trim may absorb different products in different ways. I use NL on my car and others often when i have used it on Toyotas Dash everyone of them streaked.

I ordered TR today Sparkie do you have any opinions and will it drip on the ext paint if the car gets wet or rains?
    Joe, I have always had problem with products running down the paint after a rain. I have been looking for one that would not do that. I need to get up a list of stuff I have and do some trades. So far I like the 303 and Megs#40 the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer
    Well at least TR works on your Explorer, I can't get it to work well on my Mountaineer even after cleaning the hell out of the trim to prep, and it's the same truck/trim etc as an Explorer.
    Surfer, what year is your Mountaineer, my wife Explorer is a 2000, maybe there was a change in the make up of the polymers in the rubber. I been thinking about using the TR on my truck. It's a 2005 F-150, the only thing thats been on it is VRT and then 303. I only use 303 on it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Surfer, what year is your Mountaineer, my wife Explorer is a 2000, maybe there was a change in the make up of the polymers in the rubber. I been thinking about using the TR on my truck. It's a 2005 F-150, the only thing thats been on it is VRT and then 303. I only use 303 on it now.
    2000 as well, 5.0 baby lol. Sold my 03' V8 Neer but still had the 00'. Great trucks. Sister has an 01' Explorer and I can't get it to work on her trim either.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2000 Explorer XLT, 5.0 as well. The PB TR seems to works okay on the front, rear and side vinyl trim (bumper) sections, but I have had streaking problems on the plastic trim under the windshield (where the wipers sit) and on the window trim. I use 303 there and all is well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand why it work on mine, and yal are having trouble, like I am on a Toyota. I will try it on my truck, and if it does the same then I need to send Poorboy an E-mail on this. Has anybody talk to Poorboy about this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast