autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shady detail

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shady detail

Quote Originally Posted by juvefan30 View Post
    Gotta love people who work at dealerships. Someone should tell the guy/gal that, for the most part, cars do not arrive from the factory with swirl marks on their paint.

It's the lot boys who go over the car with the same 'rag' they used to go over all the other cars in the lot causing the swirl marks.
    I had quite a few rids on my new 16 focus rs straight from the factory,the dealer and I removed the plastic to inspect for damage upon arrival and they never washed it
    The light scratches we're under the protective plastic

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

LOL, when I bought my wife's car the guy told me the same.

Swirl marks are normal, they are a consequence of detailing the car.

As a person that has made shop calls to dealerships, I've heard this all too often. Sad to say, most "Sales Persons" are not "Car Guys", at least on the appearance and detailing side, they are all about getting a person into the "cubical".

I do know that some Sales Persons at car dealerships ARE in fact appearance conscience but they are far removed from the guys that do the detailing work.

Quote Originally Posted by juvefan30 View Post

In defense of dealerships though, some kid making $10/hour is not going to give a #### about anyone's car so make sure when buying any new car to ask the dealer to skip the prep.
    I have an article on the topic of,

In the defense of the kid making squat-per-hour

See link below...

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post

Just because an employee knows HOW to wash a car properly do you think the dealership is going to pay for 2 buckets, grit guards, proper wash media, good soap and then give them the time to change water out all the time?
    Agree.

Recently I was invited to a dealership to evaluate their situation. Their situation is impossible. That is, it is impossible for them to make their cars look good and more important, keep their cars looking good. They could actually make their cars look good but the dealership has a large dirt road behind them that the city won't pave. So every time a huge gust of wind comes by it covers the cars on the lot in dust/dirt. That is an impossible situation to overcome without,

A: Paving the dirt road.

B: Moving the location of the dealership.

C: Building a cover over the entire dealership.

I feel for the dealership. They want to do the right thing but their physical environment makes it impossible for all practical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post

LOL You give dealers tooooo much credit. They use one bucket, a wash BRUSH on a stick IF NOT just a broom (Ive seen it!!) and the cheapest 5 gallons of car wash they can buy locally or better yet get delivered.

Yep. And I have the pictures of the exact process and tools you describe above.

Here's the article I wrote back in August of 2010 that explains the problem with detailers at dealerships.

Note that I took EXTRA time to carefully write this to be politically correct because I seriously didn't want to and even today don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers...

Horrendous
    Here's my definition of horrendous...

And yes, I fixed the paint on the above car when I did some beta testing of the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System for Jason Rose before it went public.

Review: Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System - Hologram removal by Mike Phillips

Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System

Post Thanks / Like

A Crystal Black Silica 2016 Subaru WRX is what got me wrapped up in this whole detailing 'thing'. Swirled from dealer, just looking at it the wrong way seemed to instill defects. Very tender paint.

When ya do get it sorted, I'd coat it with a ceramic coating...McKees Paint Coating would work well methinks...easy to work with. Gyeon Mohs is a nice choice as well. Bare Subaru paint is a swirl waiting to happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12