autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cleaining Black Rubber Trim

After quite a bit of neglect, I finally applied some Gummi Pflege to my rubber window trim last weekend. I used a foam pad to apply it (the one on the bottle disintegrated), and the whole pad and my fingers were completely black by the time I finished all 4 windows. Obviously I need to do a serious cleaning of the rubber to get rid of the oxidation or whatever is causing the black transfer. What is the best product for this? I don't feel the Gummi Pflege will perform well until I get the base material in better shape. Thanks in advance!
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaining Black Rubber Trim

this looks to be a dedicated product for that purpose...
    Griot's Garage Rubber Prep

Griot's Garage Rubber Prep is an intense cleaner for heavily soiled rubber tires, trim, moldings, seals, and hoses. This gel rubber cleaner removes old dressings and road grime to prepare the surface for a coat of rubber dressing. Get down to the bare rubber with Griot's Garage Rubber Prep.

Post Thanks / Like

The Mother's Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner works good on that rubber window trim. I used it on some neglected window trim this weekend. Applied it with a detail brush then went over it very lightly with a small cut piece of very fine Scotchbrite pad (claims no cut). Loads of black gunk came off. The second time cleaning it was mainly white suds. This clean all of the mold and stains in the rubber too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Looks like two good choices!
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful when using these products. Rinse the cleaner off thoroughly. Some of them leave a film that shows up later in the form of a white film if not rinsed properly. The white film is easily removed, however. Sometimes, just wiping the cleaner away with a rag and/or wiping the cleaner off with some APC isn't effective.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

The GG Rubber Prep is my go rubber cleaner after trying MANY others!

Post Thanks / Like

I think really any good APC will work, not that those other suggestions won't. I'm not sure if you're talking about the exterior trim, the internal door seal, or the suede-y window seal, but scrub it up with the appropriate tool (a sponge or wash mitt for smooth surfaces, some sort of soft brush for the suede-y stuff). If you're talking about external smooth rubber trim, a product like WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant) is great for keeping those surfaces from oxidizing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I think really any good APC will work, not that those other suggestions won't. I'm not sure if you're talking about the exterior trim, the internal door seal, or the suede-y window seal, but scrub it up with the appropriate tool (a sponge or wash mitt for smooth surfaces, some sort of soft brush for the suede-y stuff). If you're talking about external smooth rubber trim, a product like WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant) is great for keeping those surfaces from oxidizing.
    It's the exterior smooth rubber trim around the windows. I picked up some GG rubber prep and WETS in the tax day sale, so hopefully I'll get to try them out this weekend. Thanks!
    Craig