autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

HD Speed topped with CQuartz

Hello guys, I was thinking of topping my works of HD Speed with CQuartz. My question is, since HD Speed is an AIO that would leave out some few swirls, would it be fine to top those light swirls/scratches with CQuartz?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HD Speed topped with CQuartz

Why would you think of using an AIO with a coating? If you are using CQuartz, using Essence might work better than Speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duffthebluff View Post
    Hello guys, I was thinking of topping my works of HD Speed with CQuartz. My question is, since HD Speed is an AIO that would leave out some few swirls, would it be fine to top those light swirls/scratches with CQuartz?
    I don't think you want to top HD Speed with a coating. Most coatings require a clean surface free of polishing oils, sealants and waxes and some have a coating prep to use before to make sure the surface is prepared properly. You can top CarPro Essence with CQuartz and some have used other coatings on top of Essence also.

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhh boy! There has been a lot of people lately asking questions about topping an AIO with a coating. The answer is, NO. Maybe this is why some products require detailers to be certified installers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    Ohhh boy! There has been a lot of people lately asking questions about topping an AIO with a coating. The answer is, NO. Maybe this is why some products require detailers to be certified installers.
    It just comes down to being lazy I guess.

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    It just comes down to being lazy I guess.
    Ill never understand the "topping" of a all in one it defeats the purpose of using a "all in one"

I would much rather use a compound, then follow behind it with the all in one, Its almost the same effort and your going to get better results.

I am certainly going to be doing a write-up about this soon.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ All of the above

I like HD Products but would use HDCut/HDPolish then coat it. Or really my preference is Essence as the polish then top with coating. No need to further top the coating with anything. I use CarPro ECH20/CarPro Reload mixed as my detail spray after washing and it's stellar.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    Ill never understand the "topping" of a all in one it defeats the purpose of using a "all in one"

I would much rather use a compound, then follow behind it with the all in one, Its almost the same effort and your going to get better results.

I am certainly going to be doing a write-up about this soon.
    The only reason I could think of for topping and AIO is to make it last longer. The AIO's I've used have durabilty measured in weeks vs months like most LSP's.

I agree that if you're going to two-step a car, you might as well polish it and then apply the LSP. Many of the questions regarding AIO's and coatings lately probably stem from all threads from folks using HD Speed or Essence as their polishing step. They don't realize the major difference between the two products.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The only reason I could think of for topping and AIO is to make it last longer.
    Wouldn't the solvents in whatever sealant used to top a typical AIO remove the layer of protection left behind by the AIO? Even then, shouldn't the AIO be left to cure for certain amount of time [ideally like 12hrs] prior to topping? If that turns out to be true, then wouldn't people be fooling themselves when they think they're laying down additional protection over the weak protection of the AIO when in reality they're just winding up with 1 layer of protection not 2?

Btw, I'm not a believer in the topping of AIO's. I rarely even use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Wouldn't the solvents in whatever sealant used to top a typical AIO remove the layer of protection left behind by the AIO? Even then, shouldn't the AIO be left to cure for certain amount of time [ideally like 12hrs] prior to topping? If that turns out to be true, then wouldn't people be fooling themselves when they think they're laying down additional protection over the weak protection of the AIO when in reality they're just winding up with 1 layer of protection not 2?

Btw, I'm not a believer in the topping of AIO's. I rarely even use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're probably right on all counts, but I have no evidence to back it up.

The few times I've used AIO's I started topping them with a spray wax once they showed signs of failure. Nothing like applying a full-on LSP immediatly after applying an AIO. Using a spray wax appeared to keep the vehicle protected between washes, but at that point it would be hard to tell if it was the AIO or Spray wax at work. My only goal at that point was keeping the car protected until I had time to strip it and apply something more durable.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast